Countdown timer while tracking an exercise

Is it possible to update the software to enable the Surge countdown timer to operate when in Run or Exercise mode?  This is vital for timed 'run and rest' and other interval training.

Thank you

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

28 Comments
bilgolajon
Recovery Runner

Thanks for adding the stopwatch & countdown timer...much appreciated.  Would it now be possible to make these available whilst using the Workout mode?  If this is alreay implemented, I am unable to move from one screen to the other, so I am assuming that it currently isn't possible to do this.  Would it not be possible to simply swipe between the different screens?

Thanks again

Jon

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Happy

Aligi
First Steps

Great request. I fully agree.

In the gym in the Weights tracking mode I would need to use timer to measure my rests between exercises. It is fundamental and usually it is available in much less expensive devices.

Moreover it would be awesome to have a timer buit-in in the workout mode that allows to set series of working time and then rests with vibration at the end of each phase, like Tabata training (eg: 20 seconds work then 10 seconds rest, then repeat 8 times).

I am sure that this will make Surge a real superwatch.

thanks for your consideration

fisher_lab
Jogger

Yes, please!! I am with you!! Fitbit Blaze needs these functions.

nicko97
First Steps

I would also like to have countdown mode available in workout mode for weights. I typical do a strength exercise and then do a cardio exercise for 30-60 seconds inbetween. Right now on the blaze you can't use both at the same time, very frustrating. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I thinks this is a great idea! This could make the way it tracks exercise with the Surge more efficiently. Keep in mind the Surge already have a Stopwatch that can be programmed to countdown but is not integrated to any exercise feature. 

Thanks for stopping by at Feature Request board!

Voldemoo
Recovery Runner

Add me to the list. My old chest strap monitor had linkable timers so that you could choose to repeat the same countdown or trigger another of a different value. This was great for training, running 10 minutes, then 1 minute walk, repeat. All automatically.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @RJSH1 and commenters, thanks for your suggestion.

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic at https://www.fitbit.com/ionicor compare the Fitbit family of products at https://www.fitbit.com/compare.

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

I think your suggestion is a good one, so I took the liberty of changing the label and title so that it is applicable to future products and exercise developments.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us.

telpochyaotl
First Steps

I love the Charge 3 countdown timer features and the exercise tracking, but both are needed at the same time.

Please provide a countdown timer while tracking exercises. Such a timer is a basic need to have accurate rest times during many types of workouts. 

Thank you!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @telpochyaotl! That’s an interesting idea and could be useful to have that option while tracking informaiton, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

telpochyaotl
First Steps
Even if one could leave the racking screen and use the regular timer without pausing the workout, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

You're welcome @telpochyaotl, we hope that a lot of users find your request helpful. See you around.

ZTRug
Stepping Up

This is my biggest issue with the Charge 3 right now. When doing weight training, I like to use the timer for my rest periods so I get the little vibration to tell me when to do my next set, but to do that, I can't track it as a workout which is frustrating.

Ricki80
Strider

i have a ionic and i desire this function!

Piotras
First Steps

Have a versa and could use that too, for instance when tracking weight training I would like to have a timer for resting between sets of exercises.

Mjw_au
First Steps

During exercise tracking in the gym, I would like to be able to switch to a countdown timer to be able to set an alert when time is up for “hold” exercises such as planks.

Bori5
Keeping Pace

It would be awesome to access timer swiping up from workout tracking screen and swiping down to return.

josephstory
Jogger

Don't want an Apple Watch since I'm primarily interested in tracking my exercise, not pretending to be Dick Tracy.  But, even though not exclusively an exercise tracking tool, you can simultaneously set a countdown timer and track your exercise with an Apple watch.  I'm mindful of the significant price differential, but would recommend that Fitbit remain preeminent in the features it offers for tracking and monitoring exercise.  Thanks for your products.

Fatpunx
Jogger

Yes please, this would be great for weightlifting as you could track your exercise and your rest periods between sets. When the countdown timer is on it could pause the weightlifting tracking so it actually only tracks when using weights.

duransi1990
First Steps

Is there an update on this? I agree that this is necessary. I didn’t expect it to not be there so if I have to return this thing for an Apple Watch, it is what it is. 

Otter_20
First Steps

I totally agree!  It’s a must to have access to a countdown timer when we are tracking an exercise.  It’s a basic needs for weight training and rest periods.  I don’t understand why it take so long to the Fitbit team to realize that. It’s suppose to be a watch for health and exercise after all!!!!  Thanks to move this request on top off the pile!   

Josephgal
Jogger

Another vote for this feature.  It's absolutely essential for pretty much any strength training.  Ideally, the stopwatch should also be available for pacing yourself, but countdowns are most important.

I'm guessing the older devices aren't capable of running two apps at a time, but it's bewildering timers aren't built into the workout tracking app or included in the newer devices. 

SJKit
First Steps

I would like a simple functionality of running the exercise function and countdown timer at the same time. The countdown timer should at a minimum alert the user and the user should be able to stop the alert, even while the exercise app continues. Simple example: I would like to walk for 40 mins - so I should be able to set a countdown timer for 20 mins, turn on my exercise App with walk. Start walking. Then when countdown timer goes off, turn around and walk back. All the while exercise( walk) should go on, till I click finish.

LiziJ
First Steps

Yes, for intervals of running I really need this feature too. I am just building up my running and want to do set intervals of running and walking. I really need to countdown stopwatch to be running for this while also tracking my overall exercise. 

jdfrantz
Jogger

How does the weight lifting app help if it isn't giving me a rest timer? Outside of that it's just heart rate which is already tracked automatically.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.