Create open groups on Community in app

Need to be able to create open groups on fit bit app, at present can only create closed groups on fit bit app community.

Mod edit: label & title

85 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Need to be able to create open groups on fit bit app, at present can only create closed groups on fit bit app community.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @SunsetRunner! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about creating a open group in the Fitbit app.

Russell0120
Recovery Runner

This would be a great addition, it would make it easier to have people of like minded interests collecting their thoughts together. 

Tnroberson
Jogger

Exactly. What is the purpose of creating a group that no one can join?! Why have the option to create a group and there is no way to have a group because no one else can be apart of it.. I don't understand the logic of creating a group for it only to be closed to everyone else 

Nikkilee86
Jogger

Oh I really hope this ends up being an option.  I am trying to start a new group on a topic that I'm passionate about and was hoping to find like minded people but I quickly found out that no one can join.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Please make this an option 🙂

joesgirl
Jogger

It would be really nice if the groups that we create would be open for anyone that might be interested. Not just people that we invite. It should be a person's choice if they want to be part of that group they shouldn't have to be invited.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @joesgirl, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Remember to add your vote.

Maitri3
Jogger

I'd like to at least have a link people can use to get to a private group and they can join with that or something. I want to start a group of people with a specific medical condition and I have to add them all as friends. Most of them don't know their official username (I can't find it in my profile either) and we all met on fb so we don't want to post emails directly. It's so much work to add them and create a group, having them pm me their email? And then a lot of them don't know how to find notifications or anything. Sixteen people so far wanted to join and I've managed to find two of them! Also I can't figure out how to search public groups. I can 'discover more' but not search. So maybe there's a group already out there? No clue. 

Valeneh
Jogger

Hello! I have created a Mental Health Support group called mental health warriors that I think should be open to everyone. It is to support and encourage each other through our mental illnesses. 

ShanonaWriter
First Steps

This is the way it should've been from the start. Creating a group is meant to bring on members...which cannot happen if no one can find the group! 

Expanding groups on Fitbit is long overdue and will go a long way toward fostering friendship & support among members....and create satisfied customers!

Valeneh
Jogger

I agree Shannon’s!! Fitbit has more issues than benefits. I have used Fitbit for years. Then went with  Apple, but I missed Fitbit. I bought a Versa, last week. Which now has stopped working, my Aria stopped working probably a year ago with no success with customer service. I thought let me create a group.... oh sorry no one can find you. I could see waiting to have it get approved so it is not an inappropriate group, but to not be able to create groups and have a like minded community is beyond me. Fitbit still has a lot of issues to work out and it is taking them a long time to do so. I think I am going back to my Apple Watch and suggest that others find a different tracking device as Fitbit is not helpful at all or if they cannot get your devices working they’ll give you a “discount” to buy another one, oh yeah and community??? Well just forget about it because no one will see your group. I would love to talk to someone that could solve my watch, and scale issues and that would take our suggestions seriously about having an open community, but no one wants to take the time to listen to you. 

Lavenia_
First Steps
The app is good. The app could be great if Fitbit allows the following:
-Users can create Open Groups
-A link to said Open Group can then be shared with followers on other platforms so they can join
*OR*
-A link for a Closed Group can be shared where anyone can join, not just friends! Pings Admin for approval, similar to other platforms.
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lavenia_, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

pet_lau
Jogger

Im really wondering why there isnt a group for Hypothyroidism.

I created the group, but then noticed its closed and cannot be changed.

So atleast could you add hypothyroidism group there?

dnbluprints
Walker

I wanted to create a public group for my state but it makes it closed. I think, as long as everyone abides by Fitbit’s community rules, we should be able to open a group to anyone.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

KetoToKawaii
First Steps

I agree, how are you supposed expand a group that is closed with no way of sharing via a link? A supportive community helps with motivation. Creating open groups needs to be a feature especially when trying to find a niche group

TobyE
First Steps

We have a fitness club at my company. We have a lot of employees with a Fitbit. We also have a dynamic workforce with new employees being hired frequently, as well as employees leaving.  An open community group would be great.  Fitbit, make it happen!

gracesb
Jogger

It would be useful if we could create open groups and not only have the option for it to be private. You have limited open groups available so it would be nice to create our own categories of groups for everybody to participate in and not only those on our friends list.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @gracesb, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I agree, while there is a need to have closed groups. 

It would be nice to be able to create a group with an option to be included in a search. It could then still be closed but with a request to join button. 

As an example a group for those born in the 50's.

This is so needed and was a nice feature with the web version. 

StaceyNJ
Recovery Runner

Users should have the option to choose whether a group they create is open or closed. I just started a group, and think it's ridiculous that I have to become friends with everyone who wants to join. Also, I cannot find the new friends in the invite list. I have seen this problem mentioned several times since I started searching for a way to resolve this problem, and I have yet to see any solution. Smiley Frustrated My new group has many people who are interested in joining, but we can't find a way to allow them to do so. 

WendyB
Community Legend

I agree they should be open and anyone should be able to join without having to friend them first.

SolusUmbra
Base Runner

I agree as well. I created a new group but since I dot have any friends yet I can’t invite anyone it makes creating a group useless.

Meeshmeesh1
Jogger

I would love this (it is what my original suggestion was, when asking for custom groups in the first place).

I don't want to have to ADD random people as friends in order to invite them to a group, or be invited to a group. I also don't want to be an admin on every group idea I would want to be in. I want to be able to search for existing groups, and ask to join them. Simple as that. 

Dontpanic79
Jogger

I’m highly in favor of this. There are a lot of special interests that are exercise related that would benefit from being open and searchable to a larger audience. As an example, I tried creating a group for marathoners just to discover I couldn’t make it public. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.