Customize lower heart rate notification for trauma responses

It turns out that my trauma responses lead to heart rates of at least 75/80 bpm. I got the Sense to notify me when I was experiencing a trauma response. In the high heart rate notification feature, I can only choose 100bpm or higher. I spoke with a rep and they confirmed that there's no workaround. I'll likely return the device.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and labels.

6 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @irenen4, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to customize lower heart rate notification for trauma responses. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

charleskn
Distance Runner

This is crazy that the HR is fixed like this. My RHR is typically about 48, and even when I am in Afib (not that I expect Fitbit to alert me to this), my HR is under 100 bpm.

I am assuming this fixed 100bpm number is based on the kind of crazy determination that a normal RHR is 70-100 bpm.

The user should be able to picked a fixed HR. The default value could easily be a fixed number; a percentage of your heart rate reserve above your RHR, or something that makes more sense than a one size fits all.

Meike70
First Steps

I agree as well. I have post covid (long covid) and for my recovery I need to begin by staying below a HR of 92. I bought the charge 5 specifically so I could get a warning when I go over the threshold.  It seems like this should be a fairly straightforward adaptation.  

Brunadun
First Steps

Seems like a very easy fix, make the alert threshold adjustable. Not everyone health situation and needs are the same, and if Fitbit is meant to be a health tool, it should be able to be used by everyone. 

MorrBeth
First Steps

I am dealing with ME/CFS. I am trying to manage with pacing. I already have an extremely low heart rate. My high threshold should be 70. Far below 100. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sarcazm
Strider
  • I have Dysautonomia with Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia and am on medications to keep my heart rate down.  Unfortunately the minimum notification for high heart rate during 10 minutes of rest is 100bpm (the max is 120) and cardiologists use 100bpm at rest - not to be confused with resting heart rate - as the cutoff for tachycardia - even for healthy people, not just those with health conditions.  The same issue occurs for low heart rate threshold where the range for 10 minutes at rest is 40bpm - 60bpm with 5bpm intervals in between.  Different people have different recommended min/max rates based on health conditions, meds, and thing like pacemakers or ICDs (implantable cardioverter - defibrillators).  

If we can input manual numbers for things like max HR for exercise we should have the same ability to do so for heart health zones as well.  Though I freely admit that not once have I ever received a notification when I should have nor did the irregular rhythm ever detect anything, and it still hasn't, even during episodes of syncope, tilt table tests, when I've been in the hospital, etc.

I have a Sense and the health info was why I chose this version (since Apple Watches were incompatible).  This needs to be addressed for when the Pixel Watch 3 comes out at the very least as the Sense was never meant to be a basic step counter or exercise watch and all the other brands don't assume it's users are a monolith when it comes to bodies and fitness.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.