Daily Servings of Fruits/Vegetables

I would love to be able to have the option of tracking the number of fruit and/or vegetable servings each day on my iOS app, in a way similar to the water intake. I log my meals on MFP, but I am more likely to work on increasing my intake to the recommended 5-9 servings a day if I have a simple place to review that metric as opposed to reviewing my full food log.

Moderator edit: Labels

54 Comments
kalimm
Distance Runner

This would be great! I track my food through LoseIt and they have a My Plate section that looks at your logs and shows when you've reached the right portion of everything (fruit, veggie, dairy, protein, grain).

Surina81
Base Runner

I will have to check that app out!

PurpleRache
First Steps

I'm so glad someone's already suggested this, it would complete the Fitbit experience for me 🙂

Status changed to: New
AngelaMa
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is a great idea!  It could potentially help a lot help users out with eating more fruits and vegetables! 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
HeydyF
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @545h4

I think it is a great idea to be able to log vegetables and fruits just like you add the water intake it'll help users to reach a healthy daily food goal.

Any other ideas or requests you  might have, feel free to share them or vote for them in case they have already been posted in this board.

Enelya5115
Jogger
I'd also love to be able to track fruit and vegetable servings!

Count me in.  I would love a counter for fruit and veggie servings.  Only need 5 per day for Immortality.  Also I want to count fish servings but that would be a weekly count, not daily.

jolly_old_elf
Recovery Runner

It's a great idea, something of a subset of my own thinking which I'll post separately as a new feature suggestion.

ArtistFit
First Steps

Hello, I just want to revive this suggestion as I would also find it very useful to have a fruit/veg servings counter and customisable goal.

I love that I now get stats on the carb/fat/protein percentage of calories consumed in the new app. However, I feel there is a dimension missing that accounts for and encourages consumption of fibre and vitamins, because at the moment an apple just adds to my carb intake (which I'm trying to reduce even though I'm not on a very low carb diet) as if it was just like pasta/bread/cereal/sugar. Of course the energy in apples does come from carbs however it has benefits that they don't. 

From what I've read, there are 4 components of a lifestyle with better health outcomes, regardless of size. Not smoking. Drinking alcohol only in moderation. Regular exercise (cheers FitBit!) And consumption of Fruit & Veg.

As I'm already logging my food intake in the FitBit app, I'd really love it to either automatically recognise that I've had a portion of fruit when I log an apple. But I'd also appreciate the solution of a water monitor like addition where the portions are counted separately.

I'd like to be able to set a goal and target this area of my life and see progress. Perhaps starting with the lower UK recommendation of 5 portions a day, then trying to increase it to the 7-10 that recent studies have recommended. 

Please consider a fruit/veg daily servings tracker in future versions of the app. Thanks

Gillemeow
First Steps

I love the new food type breakdown between carbs, fat and protein. Could this be taken a few steps further to tell you whether you're hitting the target for 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and whether you should be aiming to eat more protein etc? 

Cici_
First Steps

Hello!

I have been using Fitbit for about 4 years now and I have a suggestion that I would personally love to see on the mobile app. 

I use my Fitbit to help me lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle (or at least try!) and I think I would benefit from a tile on the app that tells me whether I have eaten 5 portions of fruit or veg in that day. Since you can already add how much fruit or veg you are eating by inputting it into the app in grams, surely there is a way that this can be turned into what is a portion and be logged onto a separate tile? 
I think this is a great way to help people understand how many grams of fruit or veg is actually a portion since it can vary so much depending on what type of fruit and veg it is and I know it will help me in the early evening decide what to grap as a snack. If I had one more portion to hit my 5 - a day target (and give me a green star) I know I am more likely going to have something healthy than 4 biscuits with a cup of tea. 
It's all about the green stars.... 

I hope you consider my suggestion since I really think it could make a big difference to some people (including me!)

thanks! 

Lem4444
First Steps

I think it would be great to add 5 a day  (fruit and veg) goal and logging! Either manually log the 5 a day you eat or it picks it up from what you have put in your food log 

Moderator edit: Edit labels

launch-design
Stepping Up

Being able to quickly log water while on the go would be a bonus - I often forget how much I actually had by the time I log things on my phone

Also quick log for fruit and vegetables - this would encourage healthy food choices

It could automatically log the food when synced

On the wearable devices could be categorised into colour, type (fruit/vege) then name & finally serving. Currently, there is no real aim for food apart from calories in vs out which doesn't encourage healthy eating choices. Hitting a target of 3-5 different colours a day is something good to aim for.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

KarenLeah
Tempo Runner

Yes! Great idea! 

staceymcdee
First Steps

I would love this feature as well.  I currently use a separate app to track water and fruit/veggie intake but would love to just use the Fitbit app for everything.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @launch-design! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. I found an idea about quick logging of water via device. Please vote for it. We will keep this one separated for vegetable and fruit quick log. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

GenealogyGirl
First Steps

Just got my first fitbit and am looking to gradually make some healthy changes to my lifestyle and diet. I don't want to track everything I eat at the moment (and I have another app for doing that) but a simple way of logging the portions of fruit and veg I eat (the same as logging water) would be a great way of keeping track and of encouraging me to eat more. Would love this feature! Smiley Happy

Kiikat
Jogger

I love this idea. Eating enough fruit / veg is an important goal to set, and to be able to easily track this would be great. 

I already log my fruit / veg into my daily food log (along with the other food I eat). It'd be great if these fruit / beg could then be automatically input / counted in a daily fruit / veg intake tile. 

Amandaboop
First Steps

I’ve been looking for something like this. Simple portion recording for fruit/veg similar to the water consumption for when I’m not counting calories on MFP but just eating healthy. Would be perfect in the Fitbit app.

kway12k
Stepping Up

I had an idea similar to that.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is a great idea.

clarabell13
First Steps

Just to bump this idea up again. 

I would really love a tile to log portions of fruit & veg just like the water tile.  It would definitely motivate me to make better choices and get that star.

Moxie91
Jogger

It's be great if the app could calculate % of daily veggie and fruit intake off of the track my food. Or be able to set as a goal like water or steps. Get to the end of a week or month and see a badge for meeting goals. 

k_hayes
First Steps
It would be a great extension of the food logging (cal in vs cal out) to have a tracker of how much fruit and veg are consumed per day.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @k_hayes, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see an option to track your fruit and vegetable consumption. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.