Disable tap function so Fitbit device screen won't turn on at night

My Charge 2 turns on during the night when I sleep.  Quick View is turned off and there is no option in the app to disable "Tap" to turn on the display.  I've also found that the screen will light up sometimes when just going about my business.  Seems like some minor vibrations also erroneously activate the screen way too easily.  It used to take more effort to activate the screen by tapping.  Now it seems way too easy.  I would like to see this feature added to help me (and others) get some sleep and so that we only see the data from the screen when we "want" to.  This will also help save battery life and lead to recharging the unit less often; so this could be a "green" initiative too.  Does that help get this approved?  =^)  

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

105 Comments
Waffle89
First Steps

Just repeating what everyone else has already said. The double tap to wake feature needs to have a disabled option. I work on a production line and only get a day and a half between charges due to the screen on my charge 2 constantly coming on from vibrations. 

Coutin-Eliyahu
Base Runner

My Charge 2 HR just completely exhausted the battery, from a full charge to a complete discharge in about eight hours. It was fully charged this morning when I left the house, then by this afternoon, my sleeve in contact with the screen (I'm assuming) had caused enough "false activations" of the display to have killed the entire full charge in the battery.

This is unacceptable. How do I disable the touch screen? I have the Charge HR (original version) and had to disable the touch screen for the same reason. The touch screen is a battery killer. B'H.

Wiggychick
First Steps

There seems to be a ‘feature’ whereby if the Charge 2 doesn’t move for a while, the slightest movement will light up the screen. This is what has been happening to me when I sleep. Quick view is definitely off and I’m not tapping or knocking it. Please, please, please allow us to disable this. Thank you!

Crushindoll
First Steps

Yes! Daytime - flipping wrist to see stats...nothing. Must slap it to wake it up. Nighttime - move slightly in bed, blinding flashlight. 

shimsim
Tempo Runner

Personally I would like the tap to wake feature to be off all the time, not just at night. It is way to easy for it to triggered randomly throughout the day by any kind of tap, not just to the screen, so if you are doing any activity that had some kind of impact (like using a hammer), it will trigger the screen. I have no use for the tap function, I am happy to use the button if I want the screen to wake, and this just drains the battery unnecessarily. Considering how easy this should be to implement, its a no brainer and there is no reason for it to be missing especially when you can disable the quick view function. I do hope this can be implemented soon, some time before the charge 3 comes on the market 😛

Deucalion0
Recovery Runner

Please Fitbit listen to these suggestions. You are developing features and new devices that no one is asking for yet you cannot implement a simple suggestion many people need. I'm cutting my socks up and using them as a sleeve to help dim the light from my Charge 2 throughout the whole night it's ridiculous .

temp115544
First Steps

Please take action to solve this bug!!

Thanks,

A Charge 2 user.

BobTheCat
Base Runner

I think this consideration process is very frustrating. I just got my charge 2 and after one night I am wondering if I need to stop wearing it. One of the main reasons I have my Fitbit is to track my sleep but in one night with quick view off my tracker lit up five times. I ended up focusing more on hiding my arm so it wouldn’t wake my husband and had one of the worst sleeps ever. I hate the tap to turn on function anyways so if that is why this is happening either a night mode or turning that off would make so much sense. There is clearly a strong desire for this among users and I hope this can be quickly addressed. It’s beyond frustrating.

skifit
Jogger
Fitbit has had this suggestion for far too long (one that would be easy to fix by the way). They have zero intention to fix it. The best way to make a difference at this point is to stop buying any of their products and be vocal about the company's lack of support.
shimsim
Tempo Runner

I would hate to jump ship after being with fitbit for so long (more than 2 years) but this is exactly the kind of slow action and lack of support that eats away at loyal customers. I can not think of a more simple or reasonable request than to disable (or make optional) this feature and it would create a drastic  improve to the experience for many users under many different conditions. From improved battery life to better sleep, this is a no brainer.

I sincerely hope you are listening Fitbit ! This should not be hard to fix, and if we are all missing some important reason why this is not being done (or why its taking so long), then now is the time explain, because its starting to feel like lack of care. 

antsinoil
Jogger

I feel the same way, because of this issue I am very hesitant to purchase another Fitbit product.  This seem WAY to simple to fix for us.  Should be able to wear a SLEEP TRACKER while SLEEPING.... kinda hard when it lights up the room at night, not only does it wake me up but wakes my wife up as well.  Makes no sense

Spinksy70
First Steps

I won’t buy another Fitbit due to this function!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That's exactly why I won't buy anything else from Fitbit, support seems like nobody cares - you better buy new product, don't make us support the old one.

Waffle89
First Steps

I took mine back for a refund this week due to the poor quality of the device. Not fit for purpose etc. I've gone and brought a polar m430 instead for only an extra 40 pounds.  

skifit
Jogger
Let us know what you think of the Polar!
Waffle89
First Steps

So far it's ace battery has lasted since Monday even with logging sports on most days. It's fully waterproof and it has its own built in GPS and gives detailed summary of activities all from the watch itself. 

______
First Steps

Double tap to wake makes my charge 2 more annoying than useful. It wakes my family (and myself) when I turn in my sleep and I need to take it off when putting my kid to bed since he will tap it to keep waking it up. Strongly prefer pressing button to wake. I *never* want tap to wake up my watch.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

yes please!!!!

Because my baby would grap my hand and my versa screen lights up many times at night. Even the brightness is set to dim it's still annoying!!!

Drar
Jogger

I've had my versa for about a week now and am enjoying it, but absolutely hate that I cannot disable 'tap-to-wake' on the phone. It seems overly sensitive and seems to turn the screen on with any small touch or bump to the device or the framing of the device. It also actives from something as simple as clapping.

Please add a toggle to let us turn this feature off if we so desire.

If I want the screen on I should have the option of how to turn it on. For me that isfrom the push of a button, and that is the only way I want it to turn on ^^;

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

SuzyQ21
Jogger

Every night I turn Screen Wake off on my Charge 3 when I go to bed.  But it's always lighting up anyway, apparently from  my nightgown sleeve touching it, or rubbing against the bed covers. This defeats the whole purpose of turning off Screen Wake and it's affecting my sleep.  Why not make an option in the app to disable "Tap" to turn on the display, and only display with a button push? 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @SuzyQ21.

Thanks for taking the time to share your idea with everyone! 

Let's see what other users think about this suggestion.

shrekfl
First Steps

My company also signed up to monitor blood pressure.  Connects to apple health, but would rather track with my fitbit.

Fittobits
First Steps

I have the same problem, and it bothers me and my partner when it turns on in the middle of the night. The little screen is bright and I'm a light sleeper, so I always wake up to it. A large reason for me getting the Charge 3 was to track my sleep, as I don't sleep well. But the fact that we can't turn off the screen at night is frustrating since it wakes me up so much! It would be good to have a feature that a user can set specific hours for the screen to not wake on tap. That way no matter what touches it, the screen won't turn on during those hours unless you manually go into your phone's app and turn it off. That would be wonderful... 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I am enjoying my Charge 3, but also wish there was a “Button Only” Screen Wake option. I have the Screen Wake setting set to manual. There are still too many instances where my screen wakes unintentionally. My device is working as designed and is not exhibiting any issues, I just feel the two screen wake options aren’t filling every users needs. For example, when putting my daughter to bed at night the screen wakes up anytime my Charge 3 gets accidentally bumped. This in turn lights up the dark room. Same goes for when my wife and I are going to sleep. My Charge 3 has on occasion lit up in my and my wife’s faces throughout the night. I am not an erratic sleeper, but if I adjust my sleep position sometimes my Charge 3 will light up. Additionally, all of this unintentional use drains the battery. I feel that a “Button Only” screen wake option would be an excellent addition. Thanks!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.