Don't allow users to create Fitbit accounts unless they have Fitbit devices

Fitbit should allow profile creation only for those users who has FitBit device. I'm seeing lot of fake profiles which send request and ask for things like cam chat, marriage, trading, binary and all other unnecessary things which are out of this platform. This annoys a lot as you need to keep on marking them as bad profile.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

178 Comments
nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit : I'm not sure when you are going to review my thread again but i will request you to look at people concerns. Also, i suggested some other change if fitbit team doesn't want to block users on web. This is now serious concern from all users.

Shanny333
Jogger

I agree not to allow them to create accounts without a Fitbit.  Im tied off being propositioned for favors  and for money

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have been using this app for over two years and every day I have to reject at least five contact requests from men who don’t have recent activity marked.

I am fed up of receiving all kinds of proposals from men who are here from all kinds of issues except for health themes.  I have to report and block at least one man and it’s disgusting to receive requests from several profiles with same picture.  Is this a health app, a dating site or a scammer hunting?

And what is worse is that Fitbit doesn’t seem to do anything to protect us from all those annoying people.

Why can’t we have an option to close our Messengers so we can avoid this crap from bothering us with messages?

I am truly thinking to quit this place.

kw21495
Jogger

Definitely agree that mobile tracking and Fitbit app use should only be allowed for legitimate Fitbit tracker users.  I am also sick and tired of the fake /scamming profiles.  Fitbit needs to do something about this now instead of waiting for necessary votes.  There is already enough documentation of people's frustration with this problem here in the community.  Assign that task to a project team to sift through the multitude of complaints and comments in reference to this problem.  It isn't rocket science and Fitbit knows it is a problem and is putting the onus on us legit users to do the dirty work.  I'm tired of it. If I didn't have 7 years of health data invested in my Fitbit app, I would consider buying a different brand of tracker.  I really hope that Fitbit takes ownership of this problem sooner than later.  I would love to know how many paid (Premium) subscribers Fitbit has besides myself.  Trying to remember why I felt need to pay for a subscription to this app that has so many glitches that vary on a daily basis.  I'm sorry to be so negative.  And no, I don't bother taking the time to report the glitches, because such reports seem to "fall on deaf ears".   Please take care of your non-/subscribing Fitbit tracker customers equally.  I really want to love and rave about this app and customer service like I felt I could a few years back. I'll be anxiously waiting to see changes made for those of us already owning Fitbits as well as new owners.  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

We don’t need to wait for votes!  I see we are all sick of being bothered with messages and Fitbit is trying to get away of this problem and doesn’t seek for a solution.

Is it so difficult to cancel accounts that don’t have activity? Yesterday I exposed a screenshot of a horny ancient who insisted so much in asking my personal data that when I exposed his conversation he insulted me and blocked me.

Do we really need to deal with this human crap?  It’s really disgusting!

Neil0214
Stepping Up

If Fitbi is going to allow users to setup accounts that are not associated with a Fitbit device serial number, Fitbit should allow users to Block these accounts as a group instead of ok ndividus lol s. People create multiple emails accounts and multiple Fitbit accounts under different usernames because there are no restrictions.

Legitament user drop off the social pages because of this abuse.

CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Understand your frustration. Hopefully Fitbit Will Take A Very Serious Stand & Change The Format. :stop_sign: Stop All Non-Fitbit Owners From Opening An Account. This will eliminate so many problems, for Fitbit & for Loyal Fitbit Customers.

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Thank you for helping the cause. Great post.

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Appreciate you in standing up to support an important cause.

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Appreciate your concerns & voicing your opinion. 🤗

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Well said.

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner
Together we can make change. Awesome post

Sent from my iPhone
CaliBabe
Recovery Runner

Thoughts 💭 

When a Non Fitbit owner creates an account’ they have full access to the same wonderful fitness platform that we buying Fitbit Customers have. This is unfair, not only is this unfair it allows non-Fitbit owners not being held to the same guidelines set forth for your customers to adhere to. When a non-Fitbit person creates an account there interest isn’t for “health & fitness” they can’t join wwh’ Goal Days’ Daily Showdown’ also they can’t earn milestones or badges’ cause they don’t Own a Fitbit Device. Which defeats the very purpose of not owning a Fitbit. Which bring to light the real purpose for Non Fitbit owners having an account or account’s ( many have several ) it’s to take advantage of fitbit & your customers / us in what ever there mindset is for their own personal gains’  which are far & wide in their criminal activity’ Identity theft’ sexual deviant desires’ bullying & harassments’ just to name a few, also non fitbit owners don’t care if you catch them & delete their account’ they have no earned “Badges or Milestones that they would loose! when their acct is deleted. They just open a new account! No loss it’s a win win.  We aren’t talking about a few ( scammers Non Fitbit owners ) their is Hundreds! & Increasing Daily.  Fitbit you need to protect your customers’ we often buy 2 & 3 Fitbit’s opposed to choosing another fitness devise & company.  We deserve to be valued & protected from ( scammers) your allowing on your platform. Hopefully we can see the necessary changes that’s long over due. 

Always in gratitude:

LadyOfCali.

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

Thanks to everyone who stood behind me to support the cause and gave your precious vote to my idea. I'm waiting for fitbit team on this. Let's wait and see what they bring on table.

CaliBabe
Recovery Runner

Last but not least:

Great idea :light_bulb: in having a green dot 💚 for Fitbit Owners:  Red dot :red_circle: for Non-Fitbit Users (Fake Accounts): I know Fitbit’ wouldn’t want to loose ratings’ which equals Money, this would be one way of us Fitbit owners to ID the ( scammers) if you will.   Also don’t allow ( Non-Fitbit Accounts to have access to all the informative “open groups” like Senior open Group” “ Parenting” “ Pregnancy” “Walking Group” “ Healthy Eating” just to name a few of the wonderful open groups for “Everyone”. 

Maybe put a time limit on Non- Fitbit Accounts so they can view The Fitness Platform ( in a timely manor) to make a decision on the purchase of a Fitbit tracker & join our wonderful community. Or lastly close the flood gates completely ( lock :locked_with_key: Down ) only Fitbit owners allowed! ( this would be my choice) 

always in gratitude 

LadyOfCali

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@CaliBabe Yes i proposed the same in one of my previous comment as i seen couple of folks are not happy with my approach. So thought it would be better to get some symbol on your profile with device and without device account. If Fitbit developer implement the idea of symbol, we can easily figure out who is who and discard the request or don't accept it. But even this idea will still leave us with those fake profile.

👍to your thought as well. I feel very positive that people are coming and voting my idea to see the change. I'm desperately waiting for fitbit team to take this seriously and provide solution.

CaliBabe
Recovery Runner

Hello 

I felt the need to share some additional suggestions that may be of some help In regards to implementing necessary changes. Hjypathetilicy For all Non-Fitbit Owner Accounts. 

1.  Very short time to view Fitbit platform’ while deciding to purchase a Fitbit. 24-48 hours:

2.  Not allow Non-Fitbit Accounts to be able to Friend Request. 

3 . Can’t post in any open groups. Or any where across the forum. 

4.  Communication of any kind isn’t allowed across the Fitbit Platform.

(basically viewing only)

5. They can’t have a Personal Profile Picture It will be generic photo maybe Fitbit logo. This will eliminate self promotion of any kind! Business’ or otherwise. As it will help your Fitbit customers & employees identify that they are a visitor only for viewing Fitbit Platform community for a limited time. 

Hope these suggestions are helpful &  maybe a few implemented.. 

Thank you 

Always in gratitude 

LadyOfCali.. 

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit , are you fitbit employee or just blogger here ?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I currently ignore approximately 20 friend requests a day that are obviously bogus on their face. However, I was recently requested by what appeared to be a 10 year old, or so, girl. She asked a couple of innocent questions but when she learned I wasn’t married, she asked the same question going around this website by people who are not here to get fit: how about we go on hangouts so we can get to know each other better?  It is outrageous to me that someone would pretend to be a child In order to be let into your circle. Please require owning a Fitbit device to be allowed onto this site.

Jpare
First Steps

how do I sign this petition? I have logged in and see the comments but don’t see anywhere where I can sing this? Fitbit MUST do something to stop fake accounts soliciting the true Fitbit community. I feel awe full for the women users. It’s unbelievable Fitbit hasn’t done something by now. 

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@Jpare  I think you just need to click on thumbs up and your valuable vote will get added to the list. Thanks once again for your vote.

save.jpg

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner I completely understand your frustration. I'm waiting for fitbit team to take this up on priority. I sent personal message to @YojanaFitbit as well to look into it. Thanks for all people who are coming and supporting my idea by casting their votes.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have been sharing this across the various groups I’m in. Each time I share it there is a small increase in votes. Please share the link (and instructions that people need to log into the site otherwise people think liking the post is a vote!). If we all share it in the various groups it will make a big difference!! Would be especially helpful in private and location groups as these are often the ones people who have been harassed on the app feel safer in 

nit3ghadge
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner Thanks for your feedback. Please find below link with instructions to vote the idea.

Please open the link - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Don-t-allow-users-to-create-Fitbit-accounts-unless-they-have-Fitbit-devices/idi-p/4259307

If you have account on fitbit.com portal. Please login with it and click on Thumbs up icon to cast your vote.

save.jpg

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I had one guy who was looking for a wife and a mother for his kid. I deleted him right away. I was getting alot of men who had no stats on their profile. They shouldn't be able to have a profile if they don't have a fitbit. This is not a dating site. Its a site for those of us that are trying to get healthy or lose weight. I changed my profile picture to a cartoon and haven't had any friend requests since then. Fitbit please change it so that if they have no stats they shouldn't be allowed to belong to fitbit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.