Edit GPS map after activity is uploaded

It would be nice if we had the capability to edit the gps map after an activity is uploaded.  My phone gps "jumps" and adds mileage that shouldn't be there. I don't want to lose heart rate, split, and calorie information by entering the activity manually. Just the ability to delete/edit random points on the map would be nice. 

34 Comments
branning
Base Runner

Sometimes, we can forget to turn the GPS watch off after a run, and you get spurious GPS traces that include driving. There's currently no way to edit the GPS tracks, it would be nice to be able to do that.

Moderator edit: Labels

wastedtalent
Recovery Runner

It's be nice if I could edit the GPS map.  Last night I was doing a run around a lake and my phone crashed.  I restarted my phone and the GPS carried on, the accuracy was actually really good.  However, for the minute or so it took my phone to restart and continue, the route wasn't logged, so now it looks like I ran across the middle of the lake, meaning not only does it make me look like jesus, but all my distance measurements/splits are incorrect.

suedeforest
Keeping Pace

This is a great idea. I forgot to turn off the tracker after a hike. I was driving on the highway when I realized and then turned it off. This seriously messed up my pace and overall distance. It would be great to be able to remove/delete the portion of the track from the time I stoped hiking to the time I realized to turn it off in the truck. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey! I think that this is a great and useful idea! Thanks for stopping by! Woman Wink

jennkk
First Steps

Yes, please please do this! I have forgotten to turn off my GPS after a hike a couple times. It's frustrating to not be able to go back and cut off the last bit that includes driving. It also messes with the stats in weird ways. I just did a hike that was about 5.6 miles, forgot to turn the GPS off, and drove about 10 miles. The tracker shows the drive, but still only says 5.82 mile hike. My best guess is that the hike was actually 5.82 miles and it automatically subtracted the driving distance. Does it know, and just subtract the driving distance? It's weird then, that it still shows the GPS track for the driving. 

Onegative
Recovery Runner

Hello. My suggestion is to be able to edit a map for a walk/run after the workout has been recorded. Several times I have reviewed my run and the GPS is significantly shorter than my actual distance, which then is not recording calories burned or steps accurately. I run the same route and always get a different distance and the red line on the map is never the same. An option to edit the map and drag the red line to edit the route would be helpful so that other calculations can be accurate.

tinyspark
Jogger

I would love this too. This map is kind of ridiculous: 

IMG_5316.PNG

kmastraub
First Steps

Agreed...my Blaze will "lose" my phone, so I wind up with maps that make no sense. Yesterday, I apparently biked in a straight line across a river, and because of the GPS error, my ride shows as 5 miles instead of the 10 it should have been. It would be great to just click and drag to fix the map and, therefore, the mileage.

Brett_fb
Jogger

This would be really nice. Right now, my runs are slightly inaccurate because the GPS tracker stops at a point just before my finish line, which reports an inaccurate distance, and thus my pace time and other metrics are also skewed. Being able to simply drag points of my path around the map would be a great way to deal with this.

GeoArchExplorer
First Steps

I agree, this is a critical feature to add especially for people who live in cities. I walked 1 mile today on my lunch but due to GPS errors it only recorded 0.37 miles of that. These errors occur in most GPS due to the nature of the technology and more so when in cities because of signal blockage and reflectance caused from buildings. Mapillary and OpenStreetMap are good examples of how a user can correct GPS errors from the back end. Please include a feature on the dashboard where we can edit our GPS data, otherwise using the GPS tracking feature is useless to city dwellers. Thank you.Map of my 1 mile walk

garretttv
Jogger

Yes, +10,000.  I'm borderline considering not using FitBit altogether in favor of, for example, RunKeeper, due to this.  Being in either a city or in wooded areas just ruins connectivity for most GPS devices, which kills my two primary run types (Daily runs and when out hiking).  It'd be great if FitBit could allow us to make up for that if it's deciding to support GPS features and use them as a basis for our activity/health tracking. 

lectro
First Steps

This would be a great feature to have.  I've used Runkeeper previously and they have this capability via the web interface.  The other day I finished my workout and commuted all the way home (47 miles) before I realized I forgot to stop my activity.  My stats are way off now.

COttenwess
Jogger

i went for an almost 40 mile bike ride this afternoon, and on the ride north, my fitbit decided 2 miles was as far as i went, while it recorded the hour and 22 minutes the ride took to get north; it didn't track ANY of the route north of the 2 mile mark.

on the way back, it re-sync'd and recorded the entire route. i would LOVE to be able to edit the map to match what my actual route was. 

Cylloan
Jogger

I think it would not be that hard to implement editing the GPS data. E.g. my phone sometimes mit it up and says I ran across rivers or through buildings. This is really annoying and my tracked distance therefore is just not right. Please implement editing! Please upvote to show significance !

apple.pie2124
Jogger

this!
My fitbit constantly drops its connection with my phone, even when my gps and signal strength on my phone is strong. this results in only the first 5-10 minutes of my runs or bikes being recorded.

I would love the ability to add in the rest of the missing data. since it often says i only biked 1 km, when in reality i did 4.
If i could just add in the rest of my data after the fact, this would be reasonable. as it is it means my data is pretty much useless.

apple.pie2124
Jogger

i agree.
My charge disconnects after the first 5-10 minutes into any run or bike ride and it does not reconnect itself on its own.
This results in my fitbit saying i biked 1km when it reality i did 4 or 5.
All the calculations are off then, and the data is pretty useless.

Please let us edit the map to deal with the flakiness of the gps tracking.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful for a lot of users, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Mike_L
Stepping Up

I know this has been posted over and over, however, it does not seem like it is a priority.  I have all the same issues as other posters.  Forgetting to stop tracking as a drive away from my run, GPS points not accurate, etc..

This should be a very easy feature to add.  Please, Fitbit, give us the ability to edit the GPS map!

And, if it is not too much to ask, let me post notes about my exercise, food logs, and other stuff, also.

Thanks.

emase7
First Steps

Please can you make a feature on either the app or via the browser to be able to edit the GPS route for runs etc. It just helps with keeping accurate track of what mileage i'm covering in training, at the moment it would appear I run straight through peoples garden 😉 Thanks 

TMaynard
First Steps

Hi - I’ve recently bought your new Versa, and have found that when I go for a run and check the GPS route afterwards, it isn’t accurate. This is understandable as GPS isn’t always great, but it’s frustrating as I can’t accurately record my route and distance. What would be great is if I could go in post run and just edit the GPS route to be what it actually was. Everything else is great, it’s just that this is a shame...Is that possible?

Sam_Ireland
First Steps

Please put this in place. GPS does not always connect at the start of the run and so misses some of my route

glaze300
First Steps

Take Strava as an example. In that you have the ability to crop and split activites shortening the GPS trace/data log and/or splitting it into 2 or 3 parts. Great if you forget to turn your tracker off and it logs anything else that comes after including going 60mph on the next drive.

Perhaps the tracker could vibrate with a warning if you go above the theoretical max speed for a certain activity type. (e.g. "You're biking at 50mph, have you left your tracker on?")

Rhodanos
First Steps

Yesterday I had a run where the gps track was totally destroyed. However my google maps timeline shows the correct time points and the correct track. In this instance and probably other too, it would be nice to have a way to sync the fitbit activity with the google maps timeline. This way it would not be necessary to edit points manually.

scottdgibbard
Jogger
  1. Be able to adjust course you ran (Incase gps stopped or don’t have phone)
  2. Make a pre planned route to follow
  3. Add rests, and show info about the rests in the FitBit app (preferably when you pause a run, bike or walk)
  4. See grams of macronutrients in app 
  5. Many times floors climbed aren’t logged
  6. All day sync isn’t working for me and many others
  7. Set running goals and see how your doing with the goals during runs,etc.
scottdgibbard
Jogger

I realized that all suggestions should be posted individually. I will do that now.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.