Edit Time of Daily Reset of Stats / Add Nightshift

Hi, It would be great if users could change the daily reset of stats to a different hour. We night owls who go sleep late after midnight now have to calculate the differences in our heads and that's not ideal. Thanks!

Moderator edit: labels and title for clarity

885 Comments
Amyl11
First Steps

I think it should reset when you say your asleep, i think that would work best for me, i work different shifts all the time and can't just pick a single time evryday that would work best to reset.

megan.ladror
First Steps

I don't get home until after midnight, and frequently eat dinner at 1am.  I lasted one day before I switched my time zone to Hawaii, but manually tracking workouts, sleep, etc gets complicated and it's hard to interpret the graphs.  Please add an offset option for the data reset!

Frodo_of_GA
Jogger

I have been working the 2nd shift for 30 years.  and the last 10 it has been shifted to working until 2am. my life schedule is going to bed betwen 4-5 am and up around noon. Unlike some I do not try and live day shify hours on weekends, only only family vacations to I adjust... with effort and coffee.  I try and take my break before 11pm because I often use that time for a 45 minute power walk. But if I can't get out untill 11:30pm then my walk cross the midnught reset and just meses up the tracking.

fitbit REALY needs to add a sliding End Of Day reset setting so the other half of the workforce can use these devices properly.

Allyblah
First Steps
Yes! Please tie end- and beginning-of-day to sleep or a manually set time instead! How have people been asking for this for 2 years and nothing has happened?
Krock103
Jogger
Yes please! We would love this idea applied as well! Thanks!
Millsthrills
First Steps
I would like the sleep tracker to begin when I actually go to sleep. If I have to manually enter "going to sleep" to begin the tracker that's no problem.

I work 6pm-4am so it's hard to have accuracy when the app ends current day at midnight.

Nurses? Construction workers? IT? Police?

Surely there are others that are experiencing this.

Thanks so much!
crystalrose
First Steps

Yes please please please add a feauture that you can choose when your Fitbit resets stats. I was SO excited at having received my Charge HR but now I feel short changed. I had to change the time zone to 12 hours ahead of mine which has caused countless problems with my calorie counter as well as resting heart rate. My phone disagrees with the time and sometimes the date, so the app does not work well. Today I considered changing my phone's tone to 12 hours ahead just to fix the problem...then I said WHOA BACK UP! This is ridiculous! As a graveyard worker, my days are skewed enough against the rest of the world that I should not have to bend over backwards for this. In essence, I love the bit but without utilizing it's full capabilities I feel like I am not getting the full value of it. In short, I will be returning my bit soon if this is not remedied. I am sure one of the competitors have this feature built in somewhere and I will start the research and come back and tell everyone who does have the feature. Don't settle. Love you Fitbit, was excited, but it just isn't worth it.

Schincal
First Steps
Night shifts are hard on the body and (I personally find) hard on improving one's fitness and waist line. The fitbit seems like it would be great for such a scenario except for the fact it starts the counts over at midnight. That makes it a bit difficult to judge how I'm doing per day when it resets my day on the tracker. The most annoying part is figuring out how to log my meals.

It would be nice if there was some way to switch it to a 'night shift ' mode that way it flips when it expects me to sleep and work.
Millsthrills
First Steps
I'm with the rest of these people, I'd love to be able to set when my day starts and ends. Night shift worker here! Hope a solution comes about soon
gbvickie
Recovery Runner

Shift workers as well.  We can't expect them to reset their time zone to make the Fitbit adjust to their needs.  Fitbit needs to come up with a solution.

gendicott
First Steps

Hey Fitbit!

Thanks for making such a cool device.

It would be cooler if I could set what time my fitbit resets and starts counting for a new day.

I work very late shifts and often don't get to sleep until 2am or so, and I don't want the 1k-2k steps that I take from midnight to 2am to count towards my step goal for the next day.

I guess what I'm saying is that  I don't want my steps, miles, floors, etc, to count until after I wake up around 10am, and being able to set what time my fitbit splits days would be very helpful.

Thanks for (hopefully) reading : )

SerenaB
First Steps
Instead of resetting step counts at midnight, there should be an option to pick. I work 7pm-7am, so the steps reset at midnight and it's hard to reach my goal, when I know I would have met it. Its motivating to earn badges, but the midnight reset sometimes prevents that from happening.
SerenaB
First Steps
Instead of resetting step counts at midnight, there should be an option to pick. I work 7pm-7am, so the steps reset at midnight and it's hard to reach my goal, when I know I would have met it. Its motivating to earn badges, but the midnight reset sometimes prevents that from happening.
Aurora627
Jogger
I work swing shift. Is it possible to get a feature that would allow me to adjust my "day's start" so when I'm working past 12am, it's not counting towards the next day?
kumadais
Recovery Runner
This!! To be able to adjust the reset time of my actual "day" would be . The midnight cutoff is too early. It would be ideal also choose to start my "week" on other days, like Thursday. The "fix" of adjusting time zones defeats the point of having a clock on my Charge HR.
FFMegan
First Steps
I work overnights, my shift starts at 1900 and ends at 0700, I wish my steps wouldn't reset half way thru my shift!! Please fix ittttt!
FredMaranhao
Stepping Up

I agree with Symsol123. The reset should be tied with the Sleep detection and, additionaly, with a specific hour. The sleep detection has priority over the specific hour (for the days you forget to wear it).

XanLev
Jogger

Some of the above posts are nearly a year old, so obviously the Fitbit developers haven't done anything in all that time! This is no good, as it's mid-January 2016 and I have the same "reset" problem.

These fitbits aren't exactly cheap, and to reset the time Day and Night begins seems like such a basic and obvious requirement I'm very surprised that the developers didn't think of it.  I'm a musician and like everyone here, I find it very frustrating that Fitbit assumes everyone in the world goes to sleep before midnight.

My calorie intake is also messed up by this limitation e.g. the other night I had dinner around midnight and then later on, I went on the treadmill for 45 mins. I had to write in a fake time and the calorie count was very skewed.

COME ON Fitbit people! Get it together for all of us who stay up past midnight!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It be awesome if there's a way to allow changing when a new day begins with keeping the current timezone intact.

uggins
Jogger

Yeah..... 12-18-2013 20:00 is the time stamp on the first post in this thread. 2+ years....

I also work 3rd shift and it is annoying to not be able to change the daily reset. Looks like I might have to set it to Ho Chi Minh time when i live in the Eastern United States......

XanLev
Jogger
That’s funny! I just now changed my time to some place called Azita or something - it’s 5 hours behind Australia so I hope it works. I don’t see why they don’t fix this time issue. It’s dumb to sell something that expensive and not have a very basic application for it. Like selling a car with no doors.

Thanks for writing. Have a great time with your Fitbit and good health to you!
Best wishes,
XanLev
wbartter
Jogger

I would like to vote for this.  It's very strange that the dashboard allows users to have a "start of week" of either Sunday or Monday, but when the system sends out mail, that option is ignored!  That's terrible!  Any day of the week should be available to be a person's "start day," and the weekly email should actually use what the person wants when calculating the weekly summary. 

There was another suggestion like this but it was archived.  Please consider this as a new feature.  Thank you.

XanLev
Jogger

Dear Moderator,
Thanks for writing. Can you PLEASE speak to the powers that be and ask them to fix the problem we are discussing? THREE years we have been putting up with this major limitation. We all need this Time Reset function! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kumadais
Recovery Runner
I agree. Changing my time zone is not a fix.
crystalrose
First Steps

Hello,

There have been multiple forums discussing the problem of the statistic reset time: it needs to be adjustable. The suggested solution of changing time zones have multiple problems. For those of us who want to monitor our health, especially if we are working graveyard, the stats resetting at midnight is literally the middle of our day. When I emailed fitbit support a couple of times they responded: "...we're sorry that we have not enhanced the restart option for a custom reset since 2013. For the time being this request has to be placed on Feature Request Forum..."

I did not reach out for an apology and at this point they are only echoing th facts with no solution. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. We do not want an apology, we want one simple thing: a flexible start time for our stats to reset, please! Fitbit is fantastic and intelligent enough to know that this is a huge conundrum. Please fix it: 3 years is enough time to have figured out a fix. Thank you for your time

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.