Enable audio cues over Bluetooth from Fitbit device

Please enable audio cues over bluetooth from Ionic. Now that i can go running without my phone and have GPS and music streaming to my bluetooth headphones, one feature that we're missing is audio cues. Right now the only way to get audio cues is to start a Run activity from the Fitbit app on my phone. But that defeats the point of having the Ionic and not needing to take my phone with me anymore.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

21 Comments
dndnDNNN
Stepping Up

Yes to audio cues!

Picked up Ionic yesterday.  It's working great--very happy with it.  Simultaneously learned about Zombies, Run!  Suddenly disappointed that I have to continue to run with my iphone to listen to this silly but entertaining app, which is essentially an audio playlist with audio cues.  Get the audio cues going and I would think you could get a whole bunch of 3rd party apps developed to make this exercise thing a whole lot more playful.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I can't believe this hasn't been implemented for launch.

Timmyh
Jogger

I believe this is an inherent limitation of the Ionic's chipset, since audio mixing is quite cpu-intensive.

Can Fitbit dis/confirm?

davidgoodall1
Jogger

How is this not already included. Please add audio cues via the Ionic only. 

james1972
Recovery Runner

Please add voice cues they are so useful and don't distract from the terrain.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Can any Fitbit folks confirm if this is a possibility or is it out of the question?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Still no reply from Fitbit. We can assume it isn’t possible. 

JRedondo
First Steps

To add more detail, this is how RunKeeper has implemented audio cues / audio stats:

Audio Stats config: (checkboxes) Workout Duration, Distance, Average Pace, Current Pace, Average Heart Rate, Current Heart Rate, etc...

Distance Trigger: (radio button) None, 0.25 miles, 0.5 miles, 0.75 miles, 1.0 mile, 1.25 miles ..., 2 miles, 3 miles, ...,10 miles
Time Trigger: (radio button) None, 1 minute, 2 minutes, ..., 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, ... 30 minutes

Target Pace: (set a pace with Minutes, Seconds) -- if this is set, then every time the Audio Stats are read to you, it appends "You are <ahead|right_at|behind> your target pace by <delta_minutes> minutes, <delta_seconds> seconds". 

I love this feature of RunKeeper. It keeps me motivated during long runs, especially the *Target Pace* audio stat. While I would love to get a FitBit and not have to carry a phone for GPS tracking & Music, I feel like losing the Audio Stats is a deal breaker for me at $300 price tag for the Ionic.

lucasbencke
First Steps

How is this not already included (x2)

Claire0805
Jogger

Yes, please! Like Runkeeper does right now

user1842
Jogger

Please add this function. Nike/Apple had it five years ago even with the ability to set a male or female voice. 

rickydean
First Steps

Please could we have vocal cues from the watch when running or walking.  Most running apps have this, i upgraded to ionic because of the built in GPS so no need to carry phone with my fitbit flyer

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree. Voice cues are needed.

Beckajw
Recovery Runner

I agree, if Fitbit wants ionic to be a serious fitness watch, audio cues are necessary.  I've advised my other running friends not to waste their money on this watch.  You still have to carry your phone to get audio cues and to set a distance goal.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @rcork thanks for sharing this suggestion, it seems like quite a few other community members want this feature too. I'll raise this with the team and get back to you soon.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

C..J
First Steps

I would love to see audio cues available through Bluetooth headphones while listening to music available on the Ionic as when I Run I listen to music but would love to hear my progress through my headphones at certain stages of the run.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @C..J, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

VandyCWG
Runner

When using Bluetooth headphones....I would like to hear my audio cues play. 

KK-08
Recovery Runner
Hi,

Can we please have audio cues turned on on the phone when starting a run on the fitbit Luxe?

Thanks
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @KK-08, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about enabling audio cues over Bluetooth from Fitbit Luxe. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.