Endomondo Integration Improvements

It seems like all other fitness services (like Endomondo, Runkepper, Garmin etc.) supports synchronization to other such service. But Fitbit does not support this, unfortunately and surprisingly.

Fitbit only syncs Steps, Distance, and Sleep. Consequently, Fitbit does not sync exercises/runs, distance and time, heart rate, gps data (if recorded with the Fitbit app), etc. to Endomondo.

Fitbit should really consider to support synchronization of all data from Fitbit -> Endomondo (and other similar services). It seems like your users want to keep using services like Endomondo, Runkeeper etc. but would like to use Fitbit's hardware. As it is now, this is not possible.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

176 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

What's the status now? Is anyone considering it or was it abandoned by devs or never really considered? I'm disappointed that integration with Endomondo means my entire FitBit activity is batched in one update of steps and distance counter. I would like to get actual exercises updates along with GPS track to Endomondo...

benedikt.ebli
Runner

Hence nothing happens regarding Endomondo integration I will post my workaround I am using since over a year.

- I opened a Strava account

- I configured the Fitbit - Strava integration (this works for GPS exercises - bike, running, hikking,...)

- I configured a sync between Endomondo and Strava on www.tapiriik.com (if you pay at least 2 USD Tapiirik automatically syncs between all configured sport social networks - otherwise you have to sync manually)

After these steps a GPS activity is synced to all configured sport networks after syncing between tracker and Fitbit app.

Some words to the main issue. About a year ago I asked the Endomondo and Fitbit support. They accused each other to be the root of this limitation.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I will probably just keep on exporting tcx file manually and importing it to Endomondo.

powdah
Base Runner

326 likes going back to 2015 ---  shows how much FitBit cares about its users.

Sure wish my wife had not gotten me my tracker so I could get one that would allow third party integration for real time feedback.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I cannot understand how tcx file contains complete data (GPS data, HR data, etc.) and can be painlessly imported to Endomondo, yet FitBit sends only bulk of steps and distance there. What's more, Endomondo in their FAQ on importing state that they exclusively gave access to API to a guy who created service for various fit trackers data sync - and still big company like FitBit could not achieve that? Or devs just don't care...

trevrobwhite
Recovery Runner

Expose your devices over bluetooth or ANT+ then apps will automatically pick up the data they collect this will then show in the app people want, to me developing only the API results in duplicate data when people want to track with their favourite app, such as Strava, Endomondo etc, if a £8 cadence sensor from China can do it I'm sure fitbit can 😉

powdah
Base Runner

Note there are limitations because of the following comment on one of my posts.

Currently all transmission between the tracker and the Fitbit server are encrypted.

This encryption handicapped any third-party app as to how it can function

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Still activity is logged/can be exported to tcx holding entire data about pulse, gps track etc, and pushing it to Endomondo would be very simple.

RunnerTim
Jogger

I have watched this conversation go on and on. . . . We all need to understand that Fitbit has no desire to make there products integrate with other communities. They want us all to use there community. They are pulling a bait and switch by advertising something (Integrations) that exist, but are not practically usable. 

Last week, I ran a marathon and the group of people I was running with began talking about wearables. I just highly recommended they not use a Fitbit product and instead look at one of the Garmin or other more open products. I really think this is the only thing that will get Fitbits attention, because if you think about it from there perspective, Why integrate? They lose control of a captive group of users. They are basically trying to duplicate the other services out there because I don't think they see themselves as a device company. Owning the users and their data is what is important to them.

This problem will only be fixed if they think there is enough bad PR that they are forced to do something. They are clearly NOT a customer centric company.

simendsjo
First Steps
I have already recommended my friends not to buy Fitbit because of this
too, and my next HR-monitor will certainly *not* be a Fitbit. I want a
device that I can use with whatever service I like, for whatever reason I
like. Fitbit simply cannot do everything better than every other company,
and until they come to terms with this, they will loose customers. How many
customers have they already lost by people here telling everyone to not buy
their products?

They cannot keep blaming Endomondo when everyone *but* Fitbit is able to
integrate nicely with them.
powdah
Base Runner

I have been doing the same.  Also have informed my local sports shop of the limitations of the device and software.  They are not going to stock them any longer.

trevrobwhite
Recovery Runner

I come from the pebble platform which is completely open and had apps anyone could write, unfortunately Fitbit end of life the service when they brought them and pulled all warranties. 

Pebble was quite nice that it was discoverable by a lot of apps and would act as a remote display which the app could control. 

I was hoping fitbit would do a similar thing now they have there Code, I understand fitbit talks securely with its servers which is a good thing but it could also expose its sensors (especially the heart rate) over the local Bluetooth channel then apps could read the Info if they are worried about security just have an option on the wearable to enable or disable it. 

Lets hope they catch up soon. 

2run2ride
First Steps

I bought my Fitbit charge 2 to track my heart rate while using my Endomondo app during my rides and runs....I just found out I can’t see my heart rate in the  Endomondo app because Fitbit doesn’t support 3rd party integration. I’m returning my fitbit tomorrow. Disappointed very dissapointed.

powdah
Base Runner

Check out the Mio Global line their products allowed third-party access to the tracker.  Very accurate heart rate

@aplein wrote:

It seems like all other fitness services (like Endomondo, Runkepper, Garmin etc.) supports synchronization to other such service. But Fitbit does not support this, unfortunately and surprisingly.

Fitbit only syncs Steps, Distance, and Sleep. Consequently, Fitbit does not sync exercises/runs, distance and time, heart rate, gps data (if recorded with the Fitbit app), etc. to Endomondo.

Fitbit should really consider to support synchronization of all data from Fitbit -> Endomondo (and other similar services). It seems like your users want to keep using services like Endomondo, Runkeeper etc. but would like to use Fitbit's hardware. As it is now, this is not possible.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

powdah
Base Runner

Check out the Mio Global product line. They allow third-party access to their tracker

2run2ride
First Steps

I just purchased a Mio...returning my Fitbit today. Too bad I was really excited about it until I realized there is no heart rate tracking integration with my Endomondo. 

powdah
Base Runner

Smiley LOL

RunnerTim
Jogger
Fitbit does consume data from other services, they just don’t contribute.

Get Outlook for iOS
rodpg
First Steps

I'd love to see my HR in Endomondo while running! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@SilviaFitbit

Any chances to get current status of review? Is it even considered or already dropped?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Endomondo would be able to integrate with us by using our Web API.

Thefirstspeaker
First Steps
It does, what it can't do is use the heart beat sensor real time to log
Endomondo activity. Which currently has a lot more functionality then the
inbuilt Fitbit exercise stuff.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I can’t tell about possible future plans for this change in the integration on our side, but even if we don’t do it ourselves, Endomondo developers would be able to change the way it sync with our Activity & Exercise Logs Web API. I highly suggest you contact them to request this feature to maximize your chances.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

rossk14
First Steps

Still, it would be awesome if FitBit could implement the Bluetooth HR API (especially for the Charge HR). 🙂

https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/gatt/viewer?attributeXmlFile=org.bluetooth.service.heart_ra...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.