Fitbit BLE API

As competitor products have become available that provide public BLE api's, I feel it is important that a way to communicate with Fitbit devices is provided through BLE. There is a clear desire from consumers for this service, a quick Google search shows some consumers have even spent the time attempting to reverse engineer the BLE protocol. I hope you will seriously consider opening an api or even making some closed source mobile SDKs for accessing the Devices across bluetooth

17 Comments
jonny91289
First Steps

Is this just never going to happen ? I'd really like to use the nike running apps to monitor my heart rate instead of the fitbit one. Also I'd like access to write my own accelerometer based programs

epihive
First Steps

Fitbit app is great, though BLE API if given access would be awesome. It would grow Fibit community. I am looking to write an app, but was disappointed to see that there is no BLE API. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, just looking to write custom sleep app, but had to go with Apple Watch.. Will buy another Fitbit when they hopefully give access to BLE API. 

jonny91289
First Steps
Yeah I returned my fitbit charge 2. So disappointed
Lichig0
Stepping Up

If we had access to a Bluetooth (BLE) API that would be fantastic.

With access to BLE through the SDK/APIs many doors would open, and Fitbit could still have some control what can actually done; preventing it from getting abused and pulling people away from the Fitbit ecosystem. But this still opens up some possibilities where community apps can connect to cars, speakers, or even act as a bluetooth remote for other devices including a phone(say for media playback).

I have many ideas in mind, but require access to a BLE API. Fitbit, please make this happen

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion: we agree it would be definitively useful.

epihive
First Steps

Looking forward to it

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Moved from the Web API to the SDK features suggestions.

AmbientPower
Runner

Basically, asking for more support for BLE control.

Pebble promised that the OS would provide support for the watch to become a BLE controller, rather than just a slave to the connected phone. This would allow for control of peripheral devices, or reading from external sensors. Is this something that may appear in future versions of the SDK?

Further, it would be great to have control from an App to make the watch a custom peripheral. So for example, it could become a page turner device for programs like OnSong, where it would basically connect to the iPad as a keyboard.

AmbientPower
Runner

Since posting this, I've created a metronome app. It would be great if this app could connect to a remote device to pulse an LED for the band to see for example. Also, control of remote devices like scoreboard displays and so on direct from the watch is a huge feature, otherwise we have to go via a companion app (would there even be a sensible way to output from there anyhow), and multiple linked devices are never reliable really, are they?

Mark2018
Distance Runner

Good suggestion since !!!

Now we have 05-11-2018, not so much time.

Thank you!

wiseman13
Base Runner

I would love to make a controller application for onewheel and for reading my mountain bike sensors without needing my phone. Please consider allowing us to use the BLE chip for such a purpose.   

patrick1957
First Steps

Is there BLE API in latest OS? We love Fitbit hardware and would like to integrate it's power into our mobile application.

Thanks

Benni3012
First Steps

Hello,

is there anything new on the Bluetooth API? A lot of people with Diabetes would benefit from this as they could get their blood sugar readings from their sensors directly on a smart watch when they have no chance for a phone to be around. I.e. when swimming.

best regards

Benjamin

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

We have military customers that would like a small fitness tracker like this but it's needed for reporting data at a somewhat regular frequency to connected devices. Would hate HATE to give that to Apple. Please just open up a simple bluetooth api!

besenWesen
Recovery Runner
It would be great to access the bluetooth chips of the fitibit devices in an API to perform custom commands for programmable actions like access to BLE IOT Devices like SmartLock.
Or for eg. for Exposure Tracking.
halwaraj
First Steps

I have bought Concept 2 Rowing machine. It can communicate with BLE or Ant+ devices for heart rate during rowing. I have an Ionic and don't want to wear another device for HR tracking.

If BLE API is exposed, I can write a custom app that can send this data to my rower for display and tracking during rowing. This would be awesome for your customers and help Fitbit gain new customers as well. Win-Win for both device owners and Fitbit. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@halwaraj 
Been monitoring similar requests for Fitbit API's for almost a year now. 
Been asking Fitbit support and other developers. 
Have a little inside...: NEVER HAPPENING.

If you want the open API for your smartwatch - go any-freaking-where but Fitbit. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.