Fitbit Child Tracker That Records Distance

We bought the Ace specifically so my daughter could track distance. It's not clear on the box that it doesn't do this.  It should be an easy feature to have and is inherent to the design of all Fitbits.  This is reason enough to return it.  However my daughter likes the device, how it fits, and the app integration with our family.  So we are stuck.  She is part of a running club and this device is nearly useless for this purpose. Please add distance tracking.  

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

25 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

ptrostle
First Steps

Yes, I agree with VVY, please add the distance feature to the Ace.  We bought the Ace for my 11 yr old son because he is getting into running.  He was disappointed to learn it did not offer the mileage/distance.

Siobhan46
First Steps

My 12 year old son has just been given the fit bit Ace as a birthday pressie. We have set it all up but now discovered it won’t track the distance of his runs - which is the reason we recommended my parents getting it for him. Please please update the app/software so that he can use this device to track his running. Otherwise this is a very disappointing, expensive present. Thank you

Jbarontelus
First Steps

Wondering why the distance tracker was left out of the Fitbit ace. If kids are rewarded with the same distance badges as adults are then it seem silly that they are not able to see how close the are to the next lifetime distance badge. Seems like a simple feature to include in the device. 

gggcumming
First Steps

I bought myself a cheap tracker which has multiple modes and heart rate monitor - my child loved it and wanted one - I specially bought the ace as I wanted a better product which was aimed at children but very disappointed that it does so little for so much money. Adding distance tracking and stopwatch would at least make it remotely useable

DocLobster
First Steps

Agree with above. I have a daughter who does a lot of running. Wanted her to be able to track distance but not calories. Didn’t want the Alta HR because of the calories bit. Otherwise Ace is fab. Shouldn’t be a problem to allow parents to activate distance measuring - it shows up in their badges. Please add this option. 

Leslie-M
Jogger

My daughter was so excited to get her Fitbit Ace, but so disappointed to learn it only tracks steps, not distance.  Honestly, for the money, tracking distance is not a lot to ask.  I had to create a little table "cheat sheet" for her listing the number of steps it takes to equal a half mile, mile, two miles, etc., but it's really ridiculous that she has to refer to her "cheat sheet" to calculate her distance instead of seeing it displayed easily on her Fitbit Ace.  Tracking steps is great, but tracking distance is one of the main reasons people purchase trackers in the first place!  Also, it doesn't appear that the Fitbit Ace allows for her to measure her stride and input that information.  That would be useful, too, to more accurately track her steps.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Im not sure I see the reason why the distance covered wasn't included on the kids Fitbit Ace. It records steps, so why not miles? It would add another interesting statistic for the young users.

incucuna
First Steps

We are also disappointed by the fact of none distance tracking.. We have Fitbits from the very beginning.. And I just had no idea some of them doesn't have the very basic functionality. We will return it and buy Xiaomi fitness tracker for son

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I bought two Ace 2 trackers for my 11 and 13 year old.  I wish it could track distance as well.  They just started running and I wanted more than just a stop watch.  The sleep tracker is nice.  I’m going to have to buy them to another fitness tracker.  These are better for much younger kids.  I wish we could just buy an app within this tracker for distance.

Leslie-M
Jogger
Agreed!!!
Robyn2020
Jogger

Agreed! My son wants to join in virtual running challenges but has to be able to track his mileage. Would like to see this change made. 

Tyager
First Steps

5/4/2020 We bought this for my daughter for the same reason. She's been wearing it and walking like crazy for a month. I just tried to check to see if she met the goal we set for her to earn something and there is no way to see her total miles as of today. She has been waiting to find out and now I have to tell her I have no idea.

ivorykay
First Steps

Agree! There's no reason that the Ace shouldn't include mileage. Disappointed that it doesn't.

RosieFitz
First Steps

I’m very disappointed. The sole reason I purchased this device was for my daughter to participate in virtual runs. Now I have to tell her that I have to return the device. So infuriating 

Taz.W
First Steps

I really wish I had read this a week ago. Just bought the Ace 2 for my daughter as her school are competing against others nationwide to do the most km in February. I would not have bought this if I had known if didn’t track distance and now it’s on my daughters wrist and she likes it I can’t return it. Is there an update to allow you to track distance yet...? This thing is useless to me without it.

jjleigh73
Jogger

Yes, please add this.  The marketing does not make it clear and it's such a basic expectation of a fitness tracker that there is definitely an inherent assumption it already does this.  The Ace (we have an Ace3) needs to track distance!  My daughter is doing virtual challenges and she needs to be able to input her distance.  The app she uses offers a conversion for steps but I can tell easily that the conversion is too high so she needs a better estimate.  I also will try and return this device if we can't get this feature and unfortunately, we like everything else about it pretty much.

incucuna
First Steps
My son gave up. He did not want to use childish device. It is for babies not boys if it does not have elementárna functionalities
SamB1989
First Steps

£70 for a watch/stepcounter is an absolute con. Even my 8yr old said "Is that all it does". Rip off is an understatement and fitbit should be ashamed to sell this for a rediculous fee. Worth £10 at best. Won't be buying a product again

LBGLA
Jogger

Agreed. Very disappointing that miles or km cannot be tracked. My son cannot understand why my Fitbit can and his can’t. Surely this software can be updated?!

zhengn
First Steps

Wow this suggestion to track distance for the Ace was first made in 2018, 3 years ago, and it is STILL not implemented! We are so disappointed with the lack of this basic feature. 

rbairos
First Steps

Also came here to find out how to discover my child's total distance, as he just received a marathon badge.
Confused why it's hidden, but not distance achievements?

TracerTM
First Steps
So far, it is impossible to configure the distance unit for Fitbit Ace 3 devices. While I understand Ace 3 does not provide accurate distance measurement, it would be great to have unit consistency when using group activities of Fitbit Premium with users having more advanced trackers.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TracerTM, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding distance unit on Ace Kids trackers . I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums. 

gggcumming
First Steps
wow so many years this has been requested for and still nothing.

We got so bored with charging our fitbits as the battery life was so
poor that we did not use them for a year - when we cam to use them again
all of them would not take a charge or if they did the displays were
shot - so all gone to landfill.

Really dreadful product and I would never buy one again
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.