Fitbit studio for Charge 5 to create clock faces and apps

While the Charge 5 has 23 different clock faces, it doesn't exactly fit what I would like to see, and others from looking at comments.
If a dev could design and publish a clock face for the Charge 5, I think the majority of complaints related to the clock display would be addressed.
Please! Add support for Charge 5 to the Fitbit Studio!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

214 Comments
strath9
First Steps
It looks like there are some signs of life in the Charge5 dev team:
https://9to5google.com/2023/06/13/fitbit-charge-5-new-clocks/
Bradcore
Recovery Runner

@strath9 Incredible.

Crombinator
Recovery Runner

I would hope those three new watch faces are just an example of more to come because they have even less information than current faces. I know when the Charge 3/4 were launched there was a request to include the Charge 2 legacy watch face which is a very basic face with a lot of information. I know they want the Charge 5 to have all these 'flashy' faces, but it cannot be that hard to port that legacy face. I get it, they want to focus on new and fancy, but some of us just want the utility and information from a basic face.

Marksw
Jogger
Thank you.
ApolloLab
First Steps

I just got the Charge 5. The Clock Faces are way too cluttered for my taste so I wanted to create my own just to find out that Charge 5 is not supported by the SDK. That's really sad. Kind of an Apple move.

Please add Charge 5 (and other missing watch) support.

strath9
First Steps
Yeah.
We have all been begging for this for several years but FitBit\Google is
not interested in providing this capability and not providing the reason
for their attitude on this.

So don't hold your breath.
DansScales
First Steps

For whatever it may be worth to Google/Fitbit (apparently not that much, btw), I would like to add my voice to the large chorus of Charge 5 users who would like a wider range of Clock Face options than are available in the current stable of choices through the phone app. Unfortunately, having read many of the comments here, I think asking for more clock face options will continue to fall on deaf ears.

I personally have no problem with the black backgrounds. They offer battery-saving properties and are more visually-accessible in bright sunlight, (something I could never say about my Charge 3). However, with only a couple of exceptions, the Clock Faces available for the Charge 5 are primary-colored pop-art designs and they often have stacked truncated cartoonish characters that are difficult to decipher and use.

The available faces are overly-busy, visually uninspired, and do not utilize available screen space very well. Perhaps it's okay to have a few gimmicky geometric ideas, but it sucks when every available clock face looks like it was birthed from the unholy union of a Mondrian painting and an Andy Warhol poster. It seems quite likely that someone in management or a Fitbit design team wanted to "brand" the Charge 5 by permitting developers only a limited color palette and the requirement that they avoid the use of  gradients, animations or anything resembling a more traditional elegant analog or digital Clock Face.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but judging by the comment appearing at the bottom if each clock screenshot page: "More from developer" it would seem that only a single developer is responsible for ALL of the Charge 5 Clock Faces. Relying on only one individual or one company for this kind of design work is a recipe for narrow artistic vision, lack of variety, and uninspired mediocrity. 

The result, I have ended up wasting too much time trying to choose from a set of rather poor and boring choices. It's a shame really, I love the Charge 5 from a performance point of view. I only wish the available set of designs covered a broader range of clock face styles and had at least a few choices that reflect a more understated professional aesthetic.

So, that's my 2 cents.

Marksw
Jogger
Very well said!
Your review is much more colorful and enjoyable than the clock faces themselves!
Thank you!
Tim193
First Steps
I would like to use a custom API to add custom apps for the charge 5
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Tim193, thanks for sharing this suggestion about allowing you to create and customize apps for the Charge 5 with us. A similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

Jennifer223
First Steps

Joining the fray to add that I too would like to have more options for the Charge 5. I work in a professional environment, and while I appreciate the physical aesthetics of this fitness tracker, most of the clocks are too "wild". There are a few that I can get away with, but the colors are borderline tacky. It's such a letdown. 

If nothing else, Fitbit should be charged with crimes against functionality for the "Hawaiian Punch" clock face. What a travesty. 

zak_kinda_fit
First Steps

Totally agree.  Adding the fitbit studio would be a win-win

1. Satisfies the actual ask of adding the studio
  2. Satisfies ALL OTHER asks from people asking for specific watch faces... let them be crowd sourced.

Please implement.

DebinBurnie
First Steps

Agree with all of the above. After reading about the functions of Fitbit Charge 5, it sounded great and I purchased it. It didn't cross my mind that there would not be a face/display that did not satisfy my simple criteria without being hideous. I want time, day/date, steps on my home screen - and possibly heart rate - that's it! Slashed might be just OK if it wasn't um... slashed. I'm a woman the wrong side of 50 for heaven's sake! Target would be fine if I didn't have to scroll through other stats to see my steps. I'm also disappointed to note that there is no altimeter, challenging me to do more hills, stairs etc. It's a pretty basic function. Surely it's not that hard guys. Not quite sure why I'm bothering to write this as from what I have read on this Community, the standard response is "thanks for your feedback" and nothing is actually taken on board. Just venting I guess. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.