Fix music control on Android

Why the music control on Android is so complicated, unintuitive, poorly implemented and just a mess in overall??

The approach with Versa (Classic) bluetooth connection is awful. And I'm not talking about the fact that it doesn't work at all pretty often. The general idea itself to have additional bluetooth Input instance just for music control is a very bad design decision.

In order to control music you must to be connected to the dedicated Versa (Classic) bluetooth device which is type of Input bluetooth device. Are we going to control the music with a gamepad or what??

Every single smartwatch out there uses one bluetooth connection for all its needs, including music control. You just start playback on the phone and use music widget on your wrist to control it. As simple as that!

To control the music on Fitbit Versa you need to choose the source of music on the watch every time you want to play music. When being connected to Versa (Classic) you have this unnecessary bluetooth connection icon on the phone which remains forever even when you done with music making you think that some bluetooth device is still connected to a phone. Did you forget to disconnect your BT headphones looking at this icon? No, it's Versa (Classic) music control approach which stays connected until you disconnect it manually by choosing the watch as a source for music or in the BT settings of your phone.

More than that the music control widget on the watch is not able to display play/pause status of the source (it always displays Play icon). And the progress bar refreshes only after play/pause button on the widget was pressed.

This is a very very frustrating experience!

Fitbit, please fix music control on Android and make it as simple and easy to use as in every other smartwatch out there!

Moderator edit: updated label

6 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your feedback and suggestions @sviperz.

Let's see what other users think about it. 

Kiatisak
Recovery Runner

Me too. Why some feature should be easy but it very complicated for Ionic. Now I still can't transfer music to Ionic.

CornyjK
First Steps

I agree, Versa (Classic) separated pairing process is not good at all, also it is buggy a lot.

Semirad
First Steps

Music control is a make or break feature for me and the Android interface is horrible.  I'm constantly having to forget and pair my Pixel 3 with the Bluetooth(Classic) again for it to work.  The ability to scroll through, select, shuffle between the playlists on my phone would be useful.  The icon should change when playback is paused.

DoyinOsinboyejo
First Steps

I use a Versa 2 and obviously, this frustrating design was carried over after having received complaints from the Versa.

In addition, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't drive Fitbit underground if the watch itself had its control to disconnect from the phone when you're done with music control.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.