Food Scanning more accurate

I use the bar scanner whenever possible.  I noticed that the nutrition would be different from the scanned to the info on the package.  How can this be?  I also noticed when typing in a food it should somehow tell you what it is made from or includes.  For example, when I used a salad 123 calories.  Well what makes it 123 calories? Cheese, Dressing?  What is in that food that will do that?  I then used lettuce and then add individual items.  Where is the food tracker items coming from?  with many items being different than the package, maybe someone should update the database. 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

5 Comments
gtg947h
Strider

The database is poorly maintained.  Try manually adding some things and you'll find many duplicated entries.  Certain beers, for example, are in there under many times, because apparently 12oz of Shock Top served at Applebees is different than 12oz of Shock Top served at CPK 🙄

I have protein bars at home that, if manually entered (typed in) instead of scanned, have 10+ entries in the database FOR THE EXACT SAME THING.

Status changed to: Needs More Info
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FMC12628 thanks for posting your suggestion. I'd like to know more details about the country where you live in, since this will impact on the options you will have to enter your food. You can see this other suggestion as a reference: UK food database.  I'll be around. 

FMC12628
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit I am in the USA. I also agree with @gtg947h .  I type something in and i get multiple entries for it. Why?  Can't be hard to maintain the database, but even scanned items don't get the same info as the labels.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FMC12628, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about updating food database to have more accurate information when scanning food for USA users. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Gvaz
Recovery Runner

I need to change what is entered to the food database, as it's wrong.

For example "Springle Jangle Cheerful Mix of Fan Favorite Candy Treat" by trader joes is wrong on the serving size. it's 1/4 cup not 1 cup serving size.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.