Full data export as demanded by GDPR

You need to have this feature now, to be able to operate in europa. 

We need full and detailed export of all data in a usable format.

13 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Twomasc, thanks for your suggestion. Please feel free to edit your post and add more details in regards what data you'd like to export.  More details you add, easier is to us to find out if this is possible and it will help other users to vote for your idea.

Twomasc
Base Runner

Full data = all of it.

All data that's related to me and my account. Every single bit, in an easy to understand format that can, be easily imported.

As proscribed by the GDPR, if fitbit is to operate in Europe 

Twomasc
Base Runner

Update: I've a "case" with some team within fitbit for getting my heart rate data.

Thibaultmol
Jogger

It's kind of sad that we need to make a case for it and that we can't just export it as expected....

(But hey, atleast thanks to the gdpr we can now already GET an export of that data....)

The fact that they make it pretty much impossible without gdpr to get your heart rate data is very anti consumer of them either way

Twomasc
Base Runner

I did get all my data BTW. Through the GDPR request  

Thibaultmol
Jogger

Yeah I know. But most people don't seem to know about using that. Only really thought of it 10 hours ago!

Consider replying to those posts on this forum with people asking to "export hr data" saying that you can do it by just contacting them and demanding your data export cause of GDPR regulations! Smiley Happy

(you can easily copy and paste this into google to find all those threads: 

heart rate export site:https://community.fitbit.com

)

larryk78
Stepping Up
Through the GDPR request

Was that supposed to be a link? How did you get the case opened, @Twomasc?

I'm also trying to get a GDPR-compliant data export and not getting very far.

Twomasc
Base Runner

I wrote with https://contact.fitbit.com - I'm thinking this will work if you are in europa.

Utku
Jogger

I just contacted Fitbit Support and requested a full export of my information, including detailed heart rate data. I was told that there's no way to export heart rate data, even after I mentioned GDPR. It looks like Fitbit is trying really hard to get a fine from European Union.

Thibaultmol
Jogger
Yep, my thoughts exactly
Agrajag
Jogger

The GDPR is very clear both about how "personally identifiable data" is defined, and what rights EU-citizens have when it comes to such data. A complete, machine-readable format is one of those rights.

It should not be up to me as a user to list all the information Fitbit has about me -- presumably you know this information yourself already -- but the list of information you have include (but is not necessarily limited to!)

• Detailed logs of steps, floors, active minutes, heart-rate, sleep, weight, fat-percentage and meals logged.
  • GPS-logs with heart-rate for all tracked activities where I used the GPS built in to my Fitbit Ionic.
  • Information about badges and trophies I've earned.
  • List of friends I've connected with, and messages I've sent and received through Fitbit's service.
  • Cheers and taunts.

It's a lot of information really, and the current data export function available in our settings include only the tiniest fraction of the data that Fitbit has about me.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

(comment no longer relevant)

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for you sharing this suggestion. We’re happy to let you know that this was released last year on the Fitbit.com dashboard. From the data export settings, you can export your data archive starting from your first step at Fitbit. You can find out more in our help article here. If you have any questions about the feature, feel free to contact customer support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.