GPS power saving mode

I'd like to see a feature similar to what was added to the Microsoft band recently, where there is the ability to use gps in a power saving mode where it periodically samples gps rather than continually tracking. This could apply to both gps (surge) and connected gps (using phone). It may be appropriate to limit this to certain activities (surge) eg walking & hiking use sampling while cycling, running etc use continous monitoring.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

12 Comments
branning
Base Runner

The Surge currently has a 5 hour battery life when recording activity with GPS. The most battery-consuming aspect is acquiring GPS data, which is done every 1s currently. The battery life can be extended by acquiring GPS data less often. Once every 3-5s would provide data of similar quality, while extending the battery life.

This would be useful for marathons, or ultramarathons, where activity might be expected to last more than 5 hours.

jst1986
Strider

100% YES!

ParkerP
Runner

Great idea! 🙂 For all day mountain biking sessions 5 hour doesnt cut it. 

Nikola84
Base Runner

FItbit add this please, it is very usefull.

maflynn
Recovery Runner

Great idea, hopefully fitbit considers this in the next update to the watch

Nevermore1
Keeping Pace

Even every 30 seconds would work, most people only go a dozen or so feet in that amount of time.  Even if you're biking or running you wouldn;t have gone so far that it's not tracking accurately.  If it currenlty only lasts 5 hours then makes it pretty useless for a lot of people who go on all day hikes or backpacking for a few days.

arsinoewilche
First Steps

Great idea! Would be very useful for 20km+ walking/trekking

mtarail
First Steps

I think the fitbit HR is great. However, I really wish that it had GPS. I know that the Surge has GPS, but I don't want a large watch.

Also, in terms of construction, I've had to replace my fitbit because the u-bar that goes around the rear of the charge's face came unglued from the body of the watch over time. I'd like to see some sort of fix to this. Perhaps securing the u-bar with small bolts (like a watch) instead of glue, or something else.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea to save some battery power when using GPS. GPS is one of the features that drain battery power the most, so this will benefit tons of users! Thanks for your suggestion! 

Jsc123
First Steps

It would be an easy update and something that would make a lot of sense for ease of use. I use my stopwatch frequently but it takes me several seconds to get to it, not ideal. It's an easy fix that would make a lot of people happy. 

NickWAllen
Jogger

Having this for the Ionic would be great too.  10 hours falls short on ultra marathons.  - Suunto and Garmin have options to set the GPS "ping" frequency which doubles and quadruples battery life while tracking.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The Charge 4 has this option. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.