Global repair service regardless of warranty eligibility

Once a tracker is passed the 1 year warranty, there is no technical support or way to fix the devices. The support team goes through the troubleshooting list, but if nothing works and you are passed the warranty, all that is offered is a discount to buy another product hoping that the same issue doesn’t occur. What about the defective device? Shouldn’t there be a place to get it repaired?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label

41 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Eileenkc, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about having a place where the Fitbit products can be repaired with us! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

GenPatton
First Steps

I totally agree with this recommendation! I have gone through 3 FitBits since 2015. First I believe the design of the Charge HR purchased in 2015 wasn’t equipped to handle much flexibility which is ironic because workouts can be vigorous. The button caved in and broke within a few months after purchase but support was prompt in sending a replacement. My replacement broke into pieces when the band ripped off the device in 2018 just before our company’s annual FitBit challenge. Luckily the challenge gives us monetary incentive we can use towards the purchase of a device. I purchased a Versa on May 10, 2018 because the aesthetics of the interchangeable bands offered much more flexibility during use and although the plastic band eventually tore it didn’t render the device completely useless like the Charge. I just used my second pair of woven bands which I loved were included. To my surprise and regret my expensive Versa was inoperable after swimming in the ocean just 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty expired. Our FitBit challenge is due to start soon and I have no device to participate!

CommonUnicorn
First Steps

I would suggest a different feature; stop producing poor devices and software in the first place.

We're relatively new to FitBit and bought our family members devices. I would recommend against FitBit for virtually anyone.

2 of 4 failed within 3-6 months, so now we have half refurbished devices; based on these types of failure rates, I expect most of them will be dead (or useless) in the next year.

None of the devices sync properly; maybe if you reboot everything (driver software, FitBits and/or phone/computers), and pray or stand on your head or who knows what actually makes them sync eventually. As a software architect/developer, I debug enough software issues, but I would be embarrassed to put out this software. These syncing issues are true waste of your life.

I started working out with weights; it doesn't auto-recognize this as activity. OK, but when I manually turn on the "Exercise" -> "Weights" function, it doesn't even classify that exercise as "Active minutes"....

Or the updates ... I don't think we will update any device ever again; lots of companies have their updates lower priority than their "new features", but this company has to be one of the worst I've seen. Every Fitbit update we've done has broken something fundamental.

waterVersaJS
First Steps

I purchased the Versa because it was "swim proof"(waterproof). I only do water aerobics for 1-hour 3-5 days a week. The original Versa went dead under the 1 year warranty. I returned the dead Versa and was sent another one. Well, that went dead after about 10 months, after troubleshooting and was told out of warranty from the first purchased-no replacement was offered only a discount on another purchased. Let me also add that the band broke about a week before it went dead.

So I ordered the Versa Lite Edition which reads waterproof and water resistant. So lets see "waterproof".

My 2 daughters also have the Fitbit Versa but don't do water aerobics, no problem since their purchased.

LauraBelle1981
First Steps

The screen on my Fitbit Charge 3 recently cracked. I inquired about having it repaired but was told Fitbit does not do that. They offered me 25% off a new device instead. I think this is ridiculous. I’m sure many other people have damaged faces and it would be nice to be able to have them repaired rather than be told to fork over more money to buy a brand new one. 

Emmadaynes
First Steps

I agree. I love my Fitbit but I recently dropped it and the screen cracked. I think it’s ridiculous that there isn’t an option to get an otherwise perfectly usable devices repaired. I appreciate the offer of a discount to get a new one but it is a shame to buy a whole new watch when my existing one merely needs its screen replacing. Hopefully a repair centre will be in the pipeline soon!! 

Hq118bb
First Steps

My son and I have a FitBit Surge device each. Coincidentally, both of us have experienced serious problems with the wrist bands snapping and breaking off thus making the devices unusable. Such a waste. Searching various web forums we have now discovered that this is a known weakness of that particular model. I have enquired via email as to whether or not FitBit has a dedicated repair centre in the UK (or anywhere for that matter!) for dealing with practical, as opposed to technical, problems but apparently they do not. Surely a local repair team of some sort should be set up in each country where FitBit operates to deal with these sort of problems. I live in the UK.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Hq118bb, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having a reparation center. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

elewis1978
First Steps

I have, like you all, a device that quit working but was no longer under warranty. I guess I should be happy it lasted this long. It is under 2 years old and can't see replacement this device (not cheap) every 2 years with no option to fix. I am looking at all the problems and thinking that a different device is going to happen and I will be changing my whole family (immediate and extended) since there is no repair shop available. I think expensive devices should have repair options when outside the warranty. Most of us will still upgrade to better technology but not yearly. I would highly recommend repair options. For me it was that the heart rate function just stopped. I don't get it wet often, did not drop or damage it and it just randomly stopped working. After all troubleshooting I was offered 25% off my next device which to me is unacceptable. 

Hq118bb
First Steps
My son bought a new FitBit Surge about 3 years ago. I liked the Surge too so bought one for myself about 2 years ago. They really are clever devices and they looked great too.
However the wrist strap on both our Surge devices simply fell apart despite being only ever used lightly (no exercises at all, just wearing to the office). The devices have been unusable ever since. When I googled the problem it became clear that there had been a much wider known problem with the particular wristbands on the Surge devices which we had purchased - it was known about by FitBit but there was no repair centre to fix the problems or any procedure in place to handle these types of query. I was offered a discounted price (approx £200) on purchase of yet another brand new FitBit device which I reluctantly accepted last January. The damaged wristband problem could not be fixed. This time I went for a Fitbit Ionic. I did make the point that my experience was not very good customer service. It was a very frustrating time for me and the lack of a repair centre was very poor from a customer perspective. I asked that my comments about the obvious weakness in the wrist-strap and the lack of a dedicated repair centre be used as constructive feedback. Any such information should be strongly welcomed by manufacturers as it can only help businesses to improve the products they are offering.   
Brian Barrett (UK)
deebee6
First Steps
I would like to see more recycling or repair options post warranty
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @deebee6, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to send your Fitbit to a repair center after warranty has expired. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

GenPatton
First Steps
Yes, please and thanks. I’m on my 4th device in 5 years due to malfunctions. My recent purchase was Versa 2 in Sep 2019 and already the screens fails to swipe even after factory reset!

Sent from my Patton’s iPhone
benjaminfit
Jogger
Ionic has a known product defect. The faceplate falls simply falls off. Stand by your customers who purchased the most expensive product in your product line. Replace/repair defective product.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @benjaminfit, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to have a repair center for any Fitbit device after the 1 year warranty is up. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Gtoffee
Base Runner
Actually fix their own devices
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Gtoffee, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to send your Fitbit to a Fitbit repair center when need it. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

GenPatton
First Steps
I gave up on Fitbit and have moved on to Apple Watch after my 4th Fitbit watch broke twice under 2yr extended warranty. It says I wouldn’t be able to get refund even though warranty doesn’t end until Sep 2021. I gorilla glued it back together but haven’t even worn it since. So disappointed because I loved the challenges which Apple is sadly missing.

Sent from my Patton’s iPhone
Eileenkc
Jogger

Shortly after writing this original post in 2019 I bought a Garmin watch, and I haven’t had a problem with it yet. Seems like Fitbit still hasn’t fixed its issues. 

Gtoffee
Base Runner
Global repair service for Fitbit devices, regardless of warranty ellegibility

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

CVincent
First Steps
Establish repair shops for Fitbit items.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CVincent, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to send your device to a repair center instead of having the option to replace it. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

ShivuOP_1512
First Steps
Make The Fitbit Service Center Everywhere In India And Replace Screen And Fused Batteries
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ShivuOP_1512, thanks for sharing this suggestion about having a repair center available in India for your Fitbit product with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.