Google Pay

I would love to see something integrated with Fitbit pay for those of us with smaller/lesser known banks. I have APCU and they just became supported with Google Pay and I hate that I have considered opening a new bank account with a larger company just to be able to use my watch's pay feature. I think it would be helpful to either allow third party mobile banking apps or to start seriously increasing the number of supported ones by Fitbit Pay. 

46 Comments
Klyky
Jogger

I'm assuming this will be merged into this thread once reviewed, but wanted to put my 2 cents out there anyway.

I realize very well that they are separate systems and that this is much easier said than actually done - but since Fitbit is now completely part of the Alphabet family and my bank card works with Google Pay (but not with Fitbit Pay)... it'd be nice if there was some way to add your Google Pay info/cards into Fitbit Pay. Or somehow merge the two payment systems into one (using the Google Pay system as the backbone since it's used on more devices and supports more cards) and then simply rebrand "Fitbit Pay" as the Fitbit-exclusive version of Google Pay designed to work on Fitbit activity tracker devices? That way you increase the total number of banks/cards supported significantly, and can leverage the power of Google Pay - which I would be willing to bet has many times more users and greater brand recognition than Fitbit Pay (this could lead to more sales too, since, y'know, people - even in Canada - would actually be able to use their preferred bank with any NFC-supported Fitbit device and therefore would have more reasons to buy).

Granted, I have no idea how either system actually works behind the scenes (so this could all just be ignorant babbling that is impossible to actually implement) but it seems to me that in this case it would certainly make sense to adopt the larger, more widely used system of the parent company instead of spending time and money trying to create your own niche payment solution that (at least 3+ years later) still does not support all of the major Canadian banks. I'm not sure if it would require some renegotiation of contracts (between the financial institutions and Google and/or Fitbit Pay) but from a customer perspective I'd certainly see a lot of value in that. I understand that the Fitbit team have probably shed a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get the Fitbit Pay service to the place it is today, and I can certainly appreciate why they'd want to keep that alive, but sometimes it's better to "know when to fold 'em" in order to increase the end user/customer experience - especially if the Google Pay route is at all feasible.

At the end of the day, I just want to be able to use my Fitbit to complete NFC payments... it's one of the coolest features that made me want to buy a Charge 4 - and I'm sure I'd use it on an almost daily basis - yet I can't actually use it since my bank isn't supported. I'm sure *many* other community members are dealing with the same frustrations so I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more support for this from the community already.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Klyky, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use Google Pay with Fitbit. We really appreciate your feedback. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Strawberryv
First Steps
Since the partner bank options are so limited in the UK, please could you integrate Google Pay/wallet (since you are now owned by Google) so that I can use the pay features. Otherwise it's pretty shocking the chosen banks you have for the UK. They are not the main ones who people bank with!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Strawberryv, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see Google Pay on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Bloggins
Recovery Runner
Please release a statement about when Google Pay will be available. Fitbit Pay is a complete disaster for most countries. The banks listed for Canada are relatively unknown and unused by a majority of Canadians. Yet our most popular banks are not available. IF Fitbit has been taken over by Google, tell us when we can use it.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Bloggins, thanks for sharing this suggestion about supporting Google Pay with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Brutilus
First Steps
Now that Fitbit is owned by Google, bring Google Pay to as many existing devices as possible.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Brutilus, thanks for sharing this suggestion about having Google Pay available on our Fitbit Smartwatches with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

yancheng90
Recovery Runner
I would like Google pay to be installed on Fitbit devices for payment.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @yancheng90, thanks for sharing this suggestion about enabling Google Pay on the Fitbit devices with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Pravinmg
First Steps
Fitbit pay doesn't support any bank in Canada. We need an alternative to Fitbit pay. Please add Google pay
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Pravinmg, thanks for sharing this suggestion about supporting Google Pay on our Fitbit devices with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

SoranTheSky
Jogger
Be able to use Google pay on your watch. If you would open the Fitbit wallet section it would ask, Would you like to use Fitbit or Google pay. Or add Google pay another way, because Google pay offers a lot more banks that support Google pay. I thought you'd be able to add Google pay since Google bought Fitbit.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SoranTheSky, thanks for taking the time to explain why you'd like to see Google Pay supported by Fitbit with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Gothgem
Recovery Runner
Fitbit pay should support Google pay or Google pay should be available as an alternative.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Gothgem, thanks for sharing your idea about the possibility of integrating with Google Pay. I noticed that a similar suggestions has already been posted, so I’ve moved your post hereas it is currently under Non Currently Planned status. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

William_Lepley
First Steps
I don't know why Google Pay still hasn't been integrated with Fitbit Pay since Google has owned Fitbit for awhile now. The integration with Google Pay would make the Fitbit Pay feature so much more versatile by making it compatible with any Mastercard or Visa Debit or Credit card that is compatible with Google Pay.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @William_Lepley, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of integrating Fitbit with Google Pay. I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on Fitbit Sense 2 and Fitbit Versa 4 for firmware V. 184.52. You can find more details here: What should I know about using my Fitbit device to make contactless payments?

@ehoward10, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Klyky
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit Thanks for the update! Any plans for this feature to come to other models (such as the Charge 4/5) in the future?

alakai14
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit Actually I don't think we should say this feature has been released. Fitbit supports Google WALLET now but not Google PAY. If you look through comments, many users have issues adding their cards through Google Wallet on their devices. I contacted my bank, American Express, which currently supports Google PAY, but says that I cannot add my card to my watch using Google WALLET, even though it does work for tap-to-pay payments when I use my phone.

Is there any plans to work with some of those banks to get the integration working between Google Wallet vs. Google Pay? They are 2 different things, so Fitbit's integration needs to be different to allow compatibility. I was really sad when I updated to Google Wallet from Fitibit Pay and could no longer use my American Express for Tap to Pay on my device. That is my main bank card.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.