Improve Fitbit ability to detect HR through tattoos

It would be great if Fitbit brought out a new model  with the older two-green light style of heart rate detection for the many people with wrist tattoos who can’t upgrade from the Alta hr or Charge 2 because the newer one-green light sensor doesn’t work if you have wrist tattoos. I love Fitbit but can’t upgrade from my Alta hr or Charge 2 because of this problem and don’t really want to change from Fitbit to Apple Watch 4 unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

13 Comments
Status changed to: Not currently planned
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

MsLiana
First Steps

I am Caucasian, and I have tattoos on both of my wrists, inside and out, and neither my Charge 3 or Versa will read my heart rate through my ink. I tried an Apple Watch for a week and it read my heart rate right through the darkest part of my tattoos consistently and without interruption.

For now I’m using the epoxy sticker which helps a little, but this seems like a solvable problem. I sincerely hope my darker skinner brothers and sisters (or unusually hairy) out there aren’t having the same issue. 

A few few years ago it would have been forgivable to not have a tattoo compatible heart rate monitor, but these devices have gotten sophisticated enough that a more reliable, more accommodating heart reader shouldn’t even be a question. 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MsLiana, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

Inkaddict77
First Steps

Apparently the heart rate sensor does not read through tattoos. Would love to see this issue resolved. Especially with all other stuff it can do you would think this would be an easy fix.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Inkaddict77, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion. We really appreciate your feedback. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Aappleyard
Jogger

I found that the Versa 2 would not track my heart rate through my tattoo. I found an online forum and someone recommended using an epoxy sticker. Well it worked perfectly! I have no troubles with the heart monitor and my tattoo anymore. I found the stickers on amazon. 🙂

Newtripley
Tempo Runner
I am a great fan of Fitbit my two previous devices were the Blaze then the Ionic both worked fine on my wrist tattoos
However brought the Versa 2 and no HR or sleep tracking after lots of head scratching worked out it couldn't detect through my tattoos. The versa 2 has only one diode whereas the Ionic has 3 so if a versa 3 maybe with 3 diodes?
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Newtripley, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about changing the technology of Fitbit products, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Vipawa
First Steps
With tattoos the Versa 3 and Sense do not track heartrate. The solution is that epoxy stickers are used and stuck to the bottom of the watch where the sensors are, these are rubber see through stickers, which when used allow HR tracking but cannot be charged with using it.
Vipawa
First Steps

A software update could allow for people with tattoos to not have the sensor turned off, thinking the watch has been taken off the wrist

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Vipawa, thanks for explaining why you would like to see an improvement on Fitbit devices to detect HR through tattoos. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Superginge
First Steps
I've usedfitbit for years, still wear my Blaze every day, but not sure how long it will last. I've tried new fitbits & had to return them as the new sensor is inferior in comparison to the older model! There must be so many people who can no longer use Fitbit for the same reason. Technological developments should evolve, not go backwards!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Superginge, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about improving Fitbit ability to detect heart rate through tattoos. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.