Improve “Raise to wake” (Quick View) functionality on Versa

I have the issue that the display stays OFF very often when i raise my arm to look after a notification or just look up the time.  (Fitbit Versa)

Also discussed Here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Display-on-gesture-not-working-Display-stays-OFF-when-I-raise-...

It is quite frustrating to always look at a black screen and have to use the second hand to touch any button on the watch in order to switch the display on.

—> definetely room for improvement here!

And it would be nice if the display wakes up automatically when a notification arrives.

—> next point on the Fitbit todo-list for future software updates.

64 Comments
Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @MrEngineer and everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

yoyomum60
Base Runner

Finally!!!!  Thank you. Everyone vote.

Bibicu
Stepping Up

Same issue on Charge 2. Quick view works only sometimes. Definitely room for improvement.

Also disable Quick View after 11PM or so, so it does not blind me when in bed.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have the opposite issue. My Versa wakes the screen when least expecting it and is too sensitive which is odd given this thread!

I am conducting a battery life experiment:

Quick view on: Versa lasts about 4.25 days with about 30 minutes training a day. Not bad.

Quick view off: Versa lasts about 5.25 days as above no other setting changes. That is great considering the screen size. But even with Quick view off I am still getting several screen wake ups when I have not double tapped the unit so battery life could be even better!

I would really like to see the the functionality changed so you Quick View toggles as per Do Not Disturb settings or similar so that it saves battery at night, does not disturb accidentally and instead you have to do a conscious double tap to see the time. Given there is a gyroscope and an accelerometer in here firmware changes should be possible to allow the user to change sensitivity to suit personal preference.

JDRecovers
Recovery Runner

I have to flip my wrist several times for it to turn on. Sometimes even tapping afterward. It's a new Versa, so I thought it was user error. Glad to know I'm not the only one.  I believe if I made it tighter (thus uncomfortable, and probably not as accurate for HR etc) it'd work better -- but I do not want to make it tighter.  Also I agree with above responder. The irony of Do Not Disturb at night, which I use, the face lights up just by my blanket touching it.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I just got a Versa from the Black Friday sales (as I'm sure many, many others did too), and would like to join the chorus of Pebble alumni severely disappointed with functionality, especially the primary use - telling the time. I shouldn't have to raise, lower, and twist my arm over and over to try to figure out how to see what time it is. I would gladly sacrifice even half the battery life for the screen to wake much more easily during certain hours.

Winterglo
Walker

As a Pebble user, it is a huge loss to go to a device that doesn't always show the time. At minimum, the screen should turn on when a notification arrives. Ideally, there would also be an always-on option, which would allow the user to decide if they want to sacrifice battery life for certain periods of time.

ArjanV
Keeping Pace

Please make it work as it was working for the pebble time (my previous watch)

That was perfect. Shake with your wrist and the screen wakes up.

Now with the versa i can shake or turn my wrist, sometimes it wakes, most of the time not. And when i don't want to wake it (e.g. in bed) then it wakes up!

Please please please???

Leks1011
Jogger

I have recently purchased a versa, in hopes of it finally being a watch capable of replacing my pebble 2. Immediately, I noticed it cannot do a shake to wake. It only does a weird pick up your wrist awkwardly and it kind of work half the time. I'm not sure if its not recognizing my motion because I have very small wrists, or I'm not doing it right.

Regardless, I looked through many forums to find that someone reviewed the idea, but there's been no update since mid 2018.... There should really be a better wake up than the 1. wrist turn or 2. manual. If the watch is capable of detecting a wrist pick up motion, a shake shouldn't be that much different to implement...

Many of the pebble-like suggestions show "reviewed" but have not been implemented, or had any update. These date back to about 2015, for all the features I was looking for to fully replace my pebble. I honestly thought that I would like the versa, but I just can't get over basic features not being available.

This turned more into a rant, but I hope that someone will at least review this and provide some update on this feature status.

JeRie
Jogger

Hi, adding my two cents. I've also switched from pebble in hope of finding an adequate replacement. Sadly, Versa is a quite a downgrade compared to Pebble 2 HR and Pebble Time Round.

Around 50% of the time I can't make the screen wake up  - Versa is so unresponsive compared to Pebble. Plus it's slow/sluggish at times, taking up to four seconds to show the screen after this awkward wrist/arm turn motion. Especially in bed, I never manage - I need to press a button to see the time...

So, please, please bring back the wrist flick motion!

(With Versa being a spiritual successor to Pebble, I'm assuming your enigneers do know how... 😉 )

krizfizz
Jogger

I have the same problem with my new Versa. I'm pretty fussy about my clock face so not willing to see if not using a third party clock face helps the issue.

I never had a problem with this feature on my Charge 2 or my Alta so I know Fitbit can do it properly.

BradleyRob
First Steps

I also had this problem. Make sure that your screen wake is set to automatic(motion), Not manual(button). To change this, go onto your watch and swipe down to access the control center. Click the quick settings button and press the icon with the watch. It will say wheter its on automatic or manual. Set this to automatic

HadronJJC
First Steps
Sorry Fitbit. I bought an Apple Watch. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone
Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.