Improve sleep tracking and Daylight Saving Time

When is Fitbit going to figure out spring forward/fall back? Twice a year, every year, my sleep tracking is entirely messed up. Last night, I went to bed at 12:15 (old time) and got up at 7:15 (new time), was awake for 22 minutes, and my tracker thinks I slept 6 hours and 25 minutes. This isn't rocket science, people.
26 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @GraceB78, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about improving sleep tracking during Daylight Saving Time. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

chrisj1234
First Steps

This still does not seem to be fixed. I see people have been reporting it for 4+ years. I'd like to say this is surprising but with Fitbit honestly it is not.

With respect, not handling daylight saving is a bug not a feature request. It's reasonable to expect an expensive paid product and subscriptions is able to count time correctly.

Furthermore under GDPR European citizens have a legal right to have their personal data stored accurately. Ignoring this bug for years is likely to open Fitbit to substantial fines in Europe.

I look forward to a response that includes an ETA to fix this.

2 things: 

1 why is daylight savings still an issue??? If you're not going to make it be automatically factored in when tracking sleep or anything really and make the user correct it manually  why at a minimum not lose data and have an option to select daylight savings??? To be honest if you fixed the daylight savings issue it'd fix timezone ones too. 

2 why is it tracking steps when sleeping? Again if you're going to make this a manual edit make it where you can just delete it not change it to a different activity?

Usernamelisa
Jogger

Just noting that as of 11/6/22 this problem still exists.  I can’t believe Fitbit won’t fix it unless enough people complain.  It’s clearly a glitch - wrong - why would they not fix it?  Or provide a workaround so we can amend the incorrect numbers?

Usernamelisa
Jogger

Oh wait!  It IS possible to amend the stat.  You go to sleep and “Today” - click on 3 dots in upper R corner - then click on “edit log.”   This is easy to do twice a year.  

Deedee1985
First Steps

This bug is still not fixed, I went to sleep at 1:30AM, and need some way to tell it that I went to sleep at the second 1:30AM not the first 1:30AM. I only slept for seven hours not eight. Sleep tracking is the entire reason I bought my Fitbit. It seems there should be some sort of button you could toggle on or off for daylight savings ending to let it know which hour to use when in that “duplicate” hour

Clc3
Recovery Runner

The sleep tracking issue for the time change is still irritating. I’m equally frustrated that Fitbit still can’t track sleep properly across time zones. I travel extensively, and if I sleep on the plane for a few hours of an international flight, Fitbit can’t figure it out. 
It’s telling that they can come out with multiple versions of a device, but not fix a clear bug that impacts nearly EVERY user to some degree. 

Deetales
Jogger

I am adding my voice to the chorus of annoyed people about Fitbit not addressing the daylight saving time bug. It is annoying and I thought you used some of this data for research so it's going to make your research invalid as well. Someone commented that we could adjust the sleep log but from what I can see you can only add sleep you cannot tell it to subtract an hour of a wake time that was not true.

jerwen
First Steps

I bought my first FitBit just a month ago, and I am blown away that this is a wontfix bug on such a long-living, popular product.

I'll add my user story here. I went to sleep last night at 11:30pm, and got up to use the bathroom at 1:37am. I apparently fell asleep at 2:00am, right when the spring-forward time change happened, because FitBit says I didn't fall asleep again until 3:00am. I definitely was not awake for over an hour. So now I'm stuck with a completely inaccurate, jagged sleep recording for last night.

Please fix this bug!

GoalTorrent
First Steps

Same problem here.  Another vote to fix this bug.

Scott-GT
Recovery Runner

FitBit, please find an easy workaround. Your devices and software are too good for this to be a lingering issue among your committed customers. 
Consider an edit feature titled “Savings Time/Travel” that allows for users to add or subtract time apart from the motion/hr data otherwise used for calculating sleep. 

AngNC
First Steps

Same issue still going on as of 11/6/2023. Longtime Fitbit user and this is the last straw for me. Now that this Fitbit is on its last leg, my new device won’t be another Fitbit. 

Also, Fitbit shouldn’t make it so difficult just to write a comment on this forum. 

Abbyinerr
First Steps

Fitbit has been aware of this issue for years and done nothing to fix it. When my watch fails I'll be shopping for one that doesn't have this issue. I'll also be looking for a better overview page (what we're they thinking with that last overhaul?!?). Also agree with AngNC's comment that it shouldn't be so difficult to comment here!

D3maloney
Jogger

Agreed on the DST and the international/time zone issues. 

InterplanetJen
First Steps

Daylight savings time, 2023 and issue still not fixed… I went to bed at 10:30PM and woke up at 5 AM but it only logged six and a half hours. I laid in bed reading so I decided to extend my sleep manually by an hour to 6 AM (after it actually turned 6 AM) and then it wiped out all of the details and gave me a simplified sleep log, but then it gave me an extra hour and shows me waking up now at 7 AM with 8 1/2 hours of sleep, when it’s still only 6:20! Very buggy 😞

doclynn
First Steps

You'd think they'd have figured this out by now. 

CaseyCK
First Steps

The DST switch and glitch with sleep tracking is something that has plagued me for years. I too am a long time Fitbit user who will look for a different brand once this one dies if they don’t fix this seemingly simple issue. It truly *is* that irksome.
I’d even prefer it if the simplest answer is to “break” the night in two if that’s the easiest way to “fix” it for now if there isn’t something more elegant available. 

So when I went to sleep at 11:58PM (before the time change), it would show from 11:58PM-2AM. Then a new sleep record from 1AM (post time change) through wake up. Although clunky, I’d prefer this to nothing at all. Trying to at least offer a solution with my complaint.

Clc3
Recovery Runner

I’ve commented multiple years: 

-fix time change issue

-fix time zone tracking issues. Last international trip I tried to manually start/stop on the plane. It failed miserably. 

-my new complaint:OMG I HATE the way the app looks and works now. But others may love it. 

Clc3
Recovery Runner
Agreed!!!!!
Clc3
Recovery Runner
Great idea!
JennJKK
First Steps

I can't believe the time change and time zones issues still haven't been fixed. It's irksome to have to change my accurate sleep time an hour forward or back because the app can't calculate the extra hour even though it happens every year on a fixed schedule based on your location/time zone. As others have said, even a manual setting to note the beginning or end of Daylight Savings Time that would then add or subtract the extra hour without having to falsify the sleep time would go some distance. The way this has not been handled at all is so amateur and makes me want to find another device when this one stops working.

Buadhaigh
Jogger

This is my 6th and final year using Fitbit. I’m so sick of this time change issue that they completely ignore, and the most recent changes are awful. It looks terrible, and it’s almost like they intentionally added new glitches! Time to move on to a product that will do its job.

arduionoGP
First Steps

The Sleep module incorrectly calculates time slept during DST transitions. (One hour off. Verified Nov 4 -> Nov 5 2023 Eastern Time Zone, on a fully updated Charge 5 with Premium Subscription. Supposedly, various DST time zone transition bugs have been fixed in the past. This one persists.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Jamielynn6
First Steps

I don't even understand how this problem exists. If the fitbit gives exact time for awake, deep, REM, and light.. how does it just not pick up an hour of time because of daylight savings time? It should be able to tell I'm sleeping 8.5 hours even if it's 12am-730am when it's technically 12am-830am

PanicPhobia
Jogger

Holy crap! Finally figured out how to comment! I guess you have to accept some hidden term of service before you can respond. 

Just here to add that I think fitbits lack of action on this is PATHETIC!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.