Improve step count and options in step count settings

The step count in the Sense is wonderfully inaccurate. During a routine hand wash, I watched with delight as I clocked an extra 200 steps to my daily step count.Multiply this by 10 and I have an extra 2000 steps in my daily count without doing anything! Additionally, I seem to clock up 300-400 steps in bed and up to 2000 driving.
14 Comments
alex-w
Base Runner

My first device-the wonderful Fitbit One had a driving setting that desensitised the sensor--this helped minimise the issue.  

Surely the amazing technology in the awesome Sense can detect that while I am doing an average 50-100 kph I cannot possibly be walking on two.  Often, I also get 10-50 "bonus" floors after a long drive 🙂  

Additionally, I am certain that rapid hand movement while stationary should also be easily detected.

alex-w
Base Runner

Another wonderful option would be to activate the ability to edit steps manually.  For example:  after another scheduled handwash Sense clocked up 450 fake steps.   I could have deleted these if there was a manual edit available.

cwilliams01
Jogger

Makes perfect sense

duddyangel
Jogger

Definitely and also after a long drive when you get 3000 extra steps and 40 floors.

sbflinders
Jogger

Yes, there is no point in keeping grossly inflated step counts, especially if you rely on the data for rehab or physiotherapy.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @alex-w, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about improving step count and options in step count settings. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Cazzzie
First Steps

I use my phone for everything as do a lot of other people. Will Fitbit make it easier for people to put music on their watch without the need for a desktop?

Jimmie453
First Steps

Thanks for sharing.

PROfit1
Jogger

I’m hoping that the many concerns Fitbit owners have now, get resolved quickly. The coming together of the management of Fitbit & Google should provide solutions and joy for all of us Fitbit owners. Exciting times are ahead.  
Hopefully EKG will be available soon in Canada- a prime reason why I bought my Fitbit Sense, not realizing it wasn’t available in Canada. 
Adding more Canadian banks to point of purchase.

Terminating a charge for the Premium services, for a watch that costs this much. 
These are comments I’ve read from other owners and those who do professional comparisons of Smartwatches. 

Roach564
Jogger

In outline, there are different methods of characterizing and estimating a stage. At the point when scientists try to decide the precision of a gadget for step tallying, it is essential to choose a standard measure that is steady with both of these. For some reasons, visual perception and hand-count of steps by a prepared examiner can fill in as a legitimate model download facetime.

LxPeanut
Recovery Runner

It would be great if it could check that you are actually active when you suddenly clock up loads of steps without a corresponding heart rate increase. This and the ability to pause step counts temporarily are badly needed. I clock up lots of steps playing guitar if I forget to take my watch off. 

PROfit1
Jogger
Somehow, ideally, only real steps should be counted by any Smartwatch.
Time will tell if software will be developed to detect only real steps. In
the meantime, community chat rooms like this give us owners a great heads
up on issues experienced by other owners, and their thoughts and how they
dealt with that issue. It allows us to participate with questions and
answers. Thanks. --
Sent from Gmail Mobile
StoneLaughter
Recovery Runner

There are so many things my Versa 3 already collects which would enable automated step intelligence. If I'm moving faster than 18mph; if my heart rate is 71; if the miles on GPS don't match my stride length from earlier walks/runs, and the step "rhythm" isn't one: I'm likely not walking or running. I don't care about missing 10 steps while you work out whether I'm actually using my legs or not; I do care about getting several thousand extra steps per day through driving cars for a living.

This stuff might not be easy to implement, I'm not a software developer so I don't know. But it seems really simple to me, when I consider how much data these devices are collecting millisecond by millisecond - and it seems a simple couple of comparisons between data would be able to validate whether or not I'm actually walking around!

9QP4GL
First Steps

Hey guys today i was watching for my steps on charge 5, then i saw my steps are increasing when i am driving so my suggestion and demand is can you guys give us a option to stop steps by clicking it ...this will make sense to watch and everyone one 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.