Include GPS elevation in activity summary for Charge 5

The Charge 5 no longer has an altimeter. However, for some activities like hiking, walking and running it is nice to see to see this. It would be nice to see the elevation in the activity/ training overview during a GPS recorded activity. Strava also bases the elevation on GPS data and it would be nice to see this included.
59 Comments
tnmo
Jogger

I agree! I just took a hike yesterday. 1000 ft change in elevation, but less than a mile in as the crow flies. A very strenuous hike, but it barely registered.

ClaireRoss
Jogger

I mainly use my Fitbit for Hiking and running, and the elevation summary of my route is one of the main features I look at. I am considering returning my Charge 5 and reverting to the Charge 4 if the Fitbit don't add a GPS elevation tracking system to the Charge 5. I don't understand why you "upgrade" a product yet remove functionality in doing so? I would rather not have the colour screen but have the elevation!

ClaireRoss
Jogger
The Charge 5 no longer has an altimeter, which the Charge 4 did have. Activities like hiking, walking and running no longer show an elevation profile. It would be nice to see the elevation back in the activity/ training overview during a GPS recorded activity.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ClaireRoss, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about including GPS elevation in activity summary for Charge 5. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums. 

Carson50
Jogger

Is it possible to somehow add elevation tracking to Fitbit 5 or do I need to find another product? I am very unhappy to lose the elevation feature, I liked my Fitbit 4 but thought 5 would be an upgrade, not true!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Poslano s mojeg iPhonea
Wilwads
Jogger

This is a major mistake! I’m going to return my charge 5 if it can’t track elevation. Who decided to drop it?? Ridiculous. 

TheInnKeeper
First Steps

How is this not a thing?

I mean this is like running watch 101 super crazy level 1 basic functionality(datas already there), I really don't have to put my garmin on JUST to go for a run really annoying. 

PHSwalker
First Steps

I want to reiterate what many others have said: it was very disappointing to find the Charge 5 features neither floors nor elevation data. That was a favorite feature on my Charge 4. When you live in a hilly area, elevation gain is an important and fun statistic of your workout. It’s hard to fathom the logic behind dropping this basic feature in a new model. Fitbit should consider adopting the suggestion to provide the GPS-based elevation gain on the app and on Fitbit.com summaries.

TeethofTheHydra
First Steps
1) Stair (elevation) tracking on Charge 5. 2) Ability to keep a primary stat on the clock home screen.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TeethofTheHydra, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board.  I've moved one into a similar request. You can see the second one here, where you can add your vote to this existing suggestion:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for.

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

Mikewchrg
First Steps
This is not the same suggestion and mine is not at the link you provided.

Mikewchrg5
Alang22
Stepping Up
The Charge 5 is effectively a downgrade without floor tracking. At least allow us to add elevation/floors manually in the app. I hike and ride hills and need to track my elevation gain. I will return my charge 5 and buy a garmin product of this can't be fixed.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Alang22, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

dawnlim
First Steps

Yes, agree. Tracking elevation is important. If Fitbit has the data (using GPS), then at least please show it on the Fitbit app.

Also agree with other customers that to "upgrade" and lose a feature like the altimeter is shocking. Very poor customer experience indeed.

pawthos
First Steps

I am so disappointed the elevation feature has gone. I wish I had bought the Garmin now.

Unishoe
Stepping Up
Since the Charge 5 does not count floors (like my prior Charge 2), I suggest you use the GPS receiver to track floors. GPS can determine elevation which can then be used to calculate steps. This may not work indoors, however, it will work outside on hikes and biking.
Zshazlez
First Steps

Yes, this is unacceptable. I've owned a Charge 2, 4, and now a 5. I only ungraded because my 4 physicalslly broke.

It is unacceptable that the altimeter was removed. First because it was in previous models of this same watch. Second, is because this is a fitness tracker. Distance is only part of the story.

Fitbit apparently can rectify some of this by using data it already collects from us. Please do so immediately as I stop being loyal to brands when it seems they try to pull a fast one on me.

don100k
Recovery Runner
I returned the Fitbit 5
Now I have Apple Watch with elevation 😎
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Unishoe, we wanted to let you know that the idea you recently posted already exists on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see it here where you can add your vote to that existing suggestion:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

Zshazlez
First Steps

I wanted to let everyone know of a work around I found. I have an Android phone and I installed both Google Fit and an app called Health Sync (subscription required).  Health Sync will share data from Fitbit with Google Fit. For activities like a run that uses GPS, it appears that Google Fit can use the GPS data to determine elevation change. Might not be as accurate as a built in altimeter but it's better than nothing. I hope this helps others.

DannyFB
Runner
That is good information. Thanks.

BUT...it means you are now having to use, simultaneously, three separate
apps to simply get what is already there (fitbit) simply because fitbit
chooses to not give you easy access to it.
Zshazlez
First Steps

I agree. Right now I am stuck with the Charge 5. I am making the most of it with this setup. I might just start primarily using Google Fit instead of the Fitbit app since it will at least record everything. At least until I have something else.

I can't believe this feature is not available. I just bought a Charge 5, being sure that even if it doesn't have major improvements compared to Charge 4, at least it has the same features! How wrong of me... 

I go hiking often, and that is an important metric to me. I'm in shock, and very disappointed. Why would they do that? 

GiMa
Stepping Up

Altimeter. When I switched to Fitbit this was a major reason. Trips up and down my basement stairs counted. Not any more. Any testing you did that didn't reveal the importance of this feature is flawed. Having received a Luxe as a present that didn't have an altimeter made that missing feature even more noticeable because the Charge 4, Charge 3, and Charge 2 (all of which either I or family members owned) did have. So while I wanted to get back to the Charge series I won't be doing so because the altimeter is missing. Which will take me away from Fitbit altogether when I find the next perfect tracker.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.