Increase Graph Scale for Heart Rate (so easier to read)

I was given a Fit Bit Blaze after undergoing a quadruple bypass.  

The intention was that I would be able to share my heart graphs with my GP.  However the heart graphs on the mobile app (I use iphone 6) are really only a token graph because the scale on the graph has a default setting of 40 - 240 bpm, which renders the graph almost illegible.  It would be nice if the scale of the graph was customisable or had more default settings to allow for users of different ages or abilities, say 50-180 bpm, this would make full use of the area available and the graph more detailed, which in turn would make it more relevant for a GP (or anybody in healthcare) looking at it.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

34 Comments
bjohnson44
First Steps

Would it be possible for you to autoscale the heart rate graphs, or even better, make them so the user could expand the y-axis. I have noticed that the numbers on the graph at times will jump from 50 to 100. This makes it impossible to quantitatively see what your heart rate has been.

Moderator edit: Labels

ok1wire
Base Runner

My physician is concerned if my heart rate often falls below 50 bpm. Y axis numbers constantly change making it impossible to determine actual HR. I would like to have Y axis numbers in 10 bpm increments or to be able to set a consistent 50 bpm line.

Jims1945
First Steps
Auto scaling should be trivial on this app. Additionally, using the iOS built in pinch gestures could suffice until you add auto scale. This is very important for heart patients.
Si_Goodchild
First Steps

The Y-Axis (vertical axis) scaling on the graphs produced in the iOS app is terrible.  For instance, the weight graph for me runs from 8st to 16st meaning that my progress losing 10lb is basically lost in a near-horizontal line. The same issue is seen with the body fat % graph (runs from 16% to 26%) and a number of other graphs so they are basically useless.  Can we please either have more intelligent scaling of these graphs or the ability to manually adjust them?  The same problem exists on the web-based dashboard.

Thanks!

Si G

MrRon
Recovery Runner

I support the issue of making the Y axis scalable.  Versatilty, in principle, is the tool for making information more accessible.  Clearly there is a balance between versatility and complexity, so lets see the developers make a start by autosizing the Y axis in the expanded view, and then probably move onto setting the scale by 'preferences'.  I think autoscale, as in the non-expanded screen, would work just fine for me.

MrRon

RunningAmy
Base Runner

Even as a generally healthy user, I would like to see a daily heart rate graph also, so I can review it to learn more in general about how daily activities such as driving, work stress, etc affect heart rate. As an asthmatic, it would be useful to know if any breathing difficulty is also raising my heart rate. This would help people learn what activities may be causing additional stress, and compare the cardio benefits of different exercise (vs. trying to track them as discrete "activities" which I don't always remember to do!)

ronlayters
Jogger

Totally agree, you are motivated to lose weight, but all you get on the graph is a straight-ish line. Would be great to get some visual feedback to further motivate you

Mlockie
First Steps

I'd be really happy to have a graph with a useful Y axis. 0 to 240 bpm makes no sense when 60-120 is my common range. Scaling or pinch and zoom would be perfect. 

mdvazquez0506
Jogger

Hi there!!!

I suggest correcting the HR graph scales to show lines, decrease the scale, plot a few points on the graph indicating the HR at that point throughout the day, and/or a zoom in feature so you can accurately see your heart rate. Its a frustrating and hard graph to read that doesn't allow the wearer to analyze their own HR data. 

I am a physical therapy student with knowledge of resting heart rate and response to exercise. I have read the forum "Heart rate graph scale is incorrect in 2.25 (RESOLVED)" and have read your articles about how fitbit calculates resting heart rate. However, I find it very unhelpful that the scale on both the online dashboard and app do not allow you to pin point where your heart rate was during certain times of the day. A scale that goes from 60 to 90 with no lines in between or does not expand correctly is not helpful at all. 

I have an iphone 6S with all updates and fitbit charge 2 with all updates. I have restarted my fitbit and the app and have checked for app updates. This is a feature of your software that needs some changes. 

Cripcord
Jogger

This is ridiculous - in the real world, any junior analyst who produced visuals like this for a data review would be coached and ultimately fired for distorting and/or obscuring the data. 

sjc345
First Steps

Totally, totally couldn't agree more totally.

For the weight graph, if you set the unit to pounds, the Y-axis is centered on your weight and ranges +/- 10lbs (ish). Useful.

If you set the unit to kilograms, the Y-axis is centered on your weight and ranges +/- 10kg (ish). Not as useful but not completely horrendous.

If you set the unit to stones, the Y-axis is centered on your weight and ranges +/- 10 stones (ish). Utterly useless!  Most of use won't have enough weight loss / weight to lose that this will show anything but a horizontal/very slightly sloped line.

SleepyBear
Jogger

I'd like to see a proper HR graph. It's actually impossible to tell what time a particular raised heart rate occured because the Y axis has 00:00 Noon and 23:59. Surely hourley ticks could be used with fine vertical lines so a point of reference can be located??

Similarly on the Y axis, please can proper ticks be used and fine horizontal lines (maybe representing 10 beats or better still 5 beats). It would make the data much more meaningful.

When you tap on the graph a bigger graph comes up (with a 6 and 18 on the X axis) but it doesn't help as there are no fine vertical lines. The actual graph data itself is exactly the same as the graph on the previous smaller screen but with a lot of wasted space above and below. Please please please can this be improved?

MO_Gringo
First Steps

I agree that a scalable y-axis and the ability to use pinch gestures would be a great add. I see that these comments aren’t very impactful with Fitbit developers, though, given there have been no changes to the axis since the original post in January 2016. 

Mlockie
First Steps

If you hold your finger on the full screen graph now, it shows the exact value and time of the reading.  Moving your finger right follows the curve and shows the values.  This is a new feature on a few graphs and quite powerful although not perfect it answers the question about being able to read the graph values over time.  Now I wish this feature were on the other graphs consistently.

MrRon
Recovery Runner
Hi,
There has been some progress since 2016, and in all intents the changes are beneficial. It’s not entirely what I would like but the ability to move along the graph with instant data fulfills most of my requirements. I would still like the auto-scaling being implemented to give an instant view, but that’s a desire as opposed to necessity. Keep an eye on things and please keep in touch.
Mr. Ron

Sent from my iPhone
MrRon
Recovery Runner
Hi,

You are quite right and this feature does provide a technical solution to what I would ideally like. There seems to be a willingness to move to what I would call a ‘full’ solution - as you have also described. Having used the device for over 11 months now - I can derive what I need and the furthering of this flexibility is now a bonus. A new user would expect nothing less than the present system and our desired solution would be a simple expectation of a ‘normal ‘ feature. I guess that’s the evolution of Gagetry.
Mr. Ron

Sent from my iPhone
GDiana
Runner

Hi,

It is interesting that this feature already exists for the This Month Average chart as well as the Beats per minute strip chart which automatically scales the chart y-axis to just greater than and just less than the min/max heart rate as shown below.IMG_4390[1].PNG

IMG_4388[1].PNG

This simply has to be replicated for the daily Beats per Minute strip chart y-axis but I suggest from 0 - >+ max heart rate but only when in full screen mode as shown below where the white line in the y-axis max/limitInkedIMG_4389_LI.jpg

As you can see in my case 50% of the screen is wasted space Man Frustrated

From a technical point of view all these features are standard features in most development systems where chart objects have such methods and properties readily available.

Cheers

Greg Diana

MrRon
Recovery Runner
Hi,

I am in full agreement with your observations and indeed it was on this very basis that my original comments and request were posted. It sounded a simple fix to me?

Mr. Ron
GDiana
Runner
Hi Mr Ron,

Ha, ha yes it should be, but then they do tend to make a meal over the
simplest of things !!

Lets wait and see and hope !

Kind regards

Gregory Diana
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

For now mouse over or tap,it will give you a t8me stamp  

ellenmjenks
First Steps

Hi,

I have the same issue when using stones as my weight unit. It seems to show me the graph of my weight between 22 and 10 stone, which is useless as I'm nowhere near either of these boundaries. When I change the units to just pounds, it gives me a far more useful graph, but I prefer to use stone if possible, so if Fitbit could sort this with the graphs it would be much appreciated.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm 11 stone and my graph shows from 6 to 14 stone which, as everyone has shown above, is useless.  My weight line is very nearly horizontal.

This is a ten minute fix.  Here, let me help:

• Find the min and max values in the collection of weights and either use these as the y axis range or
  • Round the min down to the nearest whole or half unit and the max up to the nearest whole or half unit, depending on the unit type configured
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @bjohnson44, I think this is a good suggestion. Having this information in the Fitbit Dashboard would be awesome to get more details about your HR.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Bcduff
First Steps

Please implement 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.