Logging Activity SHOULD NOT alter steps taken.

OK, so after my Fitbit device stated I walked over 20,000 steps in a day, I was anxiously awaiting my badge. When I did not receive it, I contacted the support team to see what was up with that and I found out some disheartening info!

When logging an activity during the time you were actually doing it, you will be overwriting any data recorded. New data will be created, and the new data does NOT go towards badges. Fitbit stated that there are different variables in activities that will alter your steps. I don’t see how. Steps are steps. They may be talking about calories burned, but that’s not the issue. When overwriting, their “formulas” not only overwrite, but give you a false number of steps taken, for better or worse due to these variables. Though, Fitbit stated that it would not create false steps.

It does.

Believing them, I started logging my activity at 3am as I did not want actual data overwritten. I wanted all my steps to go towards badges. So what do I find out?? Logging activity at 3am gave me an additional 5,000 FALSE STEPS. That needs to stop.

I purchased this device to ACCURATELY track my sleep, my steps & time put into activity and it seems you can’t log one without having other data falsified. Fitbit suggested I create a “suggestion” here and if it gets enough “likes” the developers will consider fixing this problem. So there you go. In the meantime I will be researching other products that don’t overwrite and/or create false data.

BTW, this is also a problem if you’re competing with other Fitbit users in regards to how many steps are taken over a certain period of time as clearly the data can be faked…and if there’s money involved to the winner, that’s problematic. So Fitbit, you should REALLY consider fixing this. Allow people to record the activity WITHOUT it affecting the number of steps actually taken. Simple.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

19 Comments
jhughes82
Recovery Runner

I agree except for one thing: what if you forget to wear your tracker, then go out for a long run.  You most definitely take some steps, but have no way to include them in your count.  So, if you put in the activity and let it estimate the miles, you get the step credit you're due....  

My problem was that I was wearing the tracker and also using the MobileRun feature.  The MobileRun feature over-wrote my tracker steps and then I didn't get my badge.  I think I would vote for having steps count as steps if a verifiable activity took place - and by verifiable, I mean through either the tracker or MobileRun. However, if a person just types in an activity, don't allow that to convert to steps because anyone could take a nap and enter false steps.  So, if you forget both the tracker and the phone.... you snooze you lose I guess.  Stinks if you legitimately took the steps, but I guess it's incentive to remember your devices.

Charmaki
Recovery Runner

Agreed. This is about wearing your tracker and having only legitimate steps be counted and NOT adding any steps not taken. I like that fitbit keeps track of how many hours you put in each week for exercise, which is why I like to log my activity...I just don't want it to change any data.

bbarrera
Veteran Runner

Realtime GPS tracking was added June 25th to iOS app. AFAIK this problem has been with us since that time. Unbelievable that it hasn't been fixed. Fitbit has become the 'walk a little bit more' company as logging fast walks or runs as activities appears to be pointless - overwrites accurate step data, no credit toward badges. 

edwardgomesjr
Jogger

I agree with the primary post. My example was golf and riding a cart. While I don't normally ride a cart while playing, some courses require using a cart (events, resort courses, etc). Even though I'm taking fewer steps than I normally would normally (walking using a pull cart), why can't that activity allow for the steps I've taken to be counted. Even if riding a cart might trigger some false steps (as someone posted in response to my question) there's got to be some way to compensate for that on the programming side of this service.

If they have different calories burned estimates for various activities of the same type (and they do) then changing/revising how some activities affect the step count seems like a reasonable enhancement.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RickyFitbit
Cross-Country Runner

Thanks for your feedback. We'll go ahead and review this idea! 

Amylou
First Steps

I always wondered why I never got my badge after busting my hump getting over 20,000 setps.  Now I know!  I agree that this should be corrected.

Heybales
Veteran Runner

The way around this for Fitbit is to make some assumptions and correct some default settings.

If the GPS part is used from the phone (which is what is being talked about here - I hope OP isn't manually entering in walking activity when that's already done), and accuracy is good enough to trust the distance, then the default stride length should be adjusted so that the number of steps is kept, the distance is trusted, and better settings going forward.

Each time there is a walk like that based on phone app and GPS tracking, is a chance to update the stride length.

Of course, what do you do if an already manually entered stride length was done - replace a tested one?

Because my manually entered stride length is dead on for that average daily pace I normally do.

But it's not correct for exercise level of pace and stride length. So my GPS based distances are always greater than Fitbit estimates by steps.

So this would cause the effect of your normal non-exercise daily steps being seen as longer, exercise length. Therefore you'd be seen doing greater distance in daily life than really occurs.

Now you are given greater calorie burn for that greater distance and pace.

Conundrum.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit is setup to use one type of tracker at a time, you can use:

1. Your Fitbit device
  2. Your Mobile un on the phone
  3. Or Manually add your walk/run

You have the above 3 options, you pick which option you want to use, but you can only use 1 at a time.

• Choose number 1 if you want your steps to count.
  • Number 2 does not count steps but does count distance.
  • Number 3 is what you say and Fitbit doesn't trust you enough to award you badges based on this one.
Charmaki
Recovery Runner

If Fitbit thinks that's a solution, then it's not good enough. Using the Number 1 option doesn't accurately track workout time, and in addition to accurate steps, I like to keep a tab of how much time I'm really putting in per week. So that's no good. Number 2, I don't care about distance, just steps and workout time. And then Number 3 is useless, as it screws up the steps.

Again, it's not that difficult for them to allow up to have our legitimate steps be counted and allow us to log workout time without it affecting steps. Like last night, I walked for 45 mins and got about 6000 steps in that time, When I logged the activity at 3am (so it didn't overwrite those steps), it said that I did 8000 steps with that activity.  If it's that far off, why do they have the activity creating false steps? I don't see the logic in that algorithm especially since it's not very accurate.

I don't think I'm asking for much, Track real steps and let us log activity without consequences. Basic.

trueislander
Jogger

@Heybales  That sounds like a great suggestion for accurately determining stride length. Stride length can be pretty dynamic if you're running or walking uphill/downhill. 

Angsty
Recovery Runner

I would to add my support to this request.  I want Fitbit to ACCURATELY track the number of steps I take each day. 

Logging an Activity should not change or alter the number of steps I have taken - the 2 should be mutually exclusive.  I want to be able to record my Activity as a record of what I've done; this SHOULD NOT change the number of steps I have taken.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ifak11cl5k7a5i/Steps%20Discrepancy.jpg?dl=0

Pfiga
Runner

I just posted a related suggestion.  I run on a treadmill so I know the exact mileage, and I was able to calculate my average running stride length.  This is usually more or less accurate, but I did a slower than usual run today, and now my mileage is overestimated by almost half a mile.  I wish there were a way to override the mileage -- it allows me to do it to increase the mileage (if I run faster than usual), but not to lower it.  At the same time, I want to be able to keep the number of steps that my fitbit measured.  Maybe there could be some checkboxes in the small window for manually logging in activities -- you could check a box if you want to override the mileage, and you could check another box if you want to override the steps (e.g., if you forget your fitbit when going for a run but you know the distance you ran or walked).

sydneyc
Stepping Up

Rich_Laue wrote:

Fitbit is setup to use one type of tracker at a time, you can use:
1.Your Fitbit device
2.Your Mobile un on the phone
3.Or Manually add your walk/run

You have the above 3 options, you pick which option you want to use, but you can only use 1 at a time.
•Choose number 1 if you want your steps to count.
•Number 2 does not count steps but does count distance.
•Number 3 is what you say and Fitbit doesn't trust you enough to award you badges based on this one.

If this is actually the case, that option 2 counts distance, but not steps, then why does option 2 OVERWRITE the steps the fitbit has recorded?

If you are wearing the fitbit while you are walking, the fitbit is counting steps, and estimating the distance based on the stride information entered manually by the user.

If you use the GPS while walking, the GPS measures the distance more acurately than the fitbit, and estimates the steps based on the stride information entered manually by the user.

Both of these options rely on ESTIMATED data, but the GPS will overwrite the fitbit trackers data.

If the fitbit tracker is worn, and counting steps, while the GPS is recording the walk distance, would it not be benificial for the GPS recorder to use the fitbits recorded steps, and perhaps offer the user an adjustment to the stride information.

Example, accurate distance recorded by the GPS recorder, divided by acurate steps recorded by the fitbit tracker, will give you an average stride count. This should altimately result in more acurate stride information, and in turn more acurate data.

Daniel1
Base Runner
The number of steps logged shouldnot be altered when you add an activity. I have to log activities to get discounted insurance premiums at my job, but the app adds the steps manually entered under the activity to the actual steps measured, resulting in a duplicate step count. Needs to be fixed.
Louise44
First Steps

I recieved a Zip for Christmas and have just started logging activities. One major flaw is that I can't log my swim (when of course I won't be waering the Zip) without it altering the steps. Also when I logged my treadmill run, where it asks for the time I did the activity and shows that I was not wearing my Zip at that time still effects my steps. Not very useful. Also can't find how to create a Help Forum question.......apart from that......

Ratheart
Jogger

Thank you for pointing this out.

Apauled it has been ~4months and this has not been fixed.

So I basically have to wear my fitbit like normal then use a third party app to record my GPS Trip/map and not have it link into my account.

No thanks.. WAS really looking forward to upgrading my Flex to a ChargeHR.

Might look around at other brands to see if they have something that does everything properly 😕

leighf
Jogger

This morning I went for a run. I wore my Charge HR, but forgot to start the timer. Despite intense activity for `20 mins, the fitbit did not recognise the run as a "workout" in the activity list. Steps, heartrate, distance, and floors, and active minutes were all recorded, just not recognised as an "activity".

So, I logged the activity – specifying the times during which I ran, and the distance (which I measured on a separate GPS app [nothing to do with fitbit]) – so I could take a closer look at the heartrate data. I assumed I was merely allocating recorded steps/distance/floors/heartrate, etc., and specifying it as a "run". But having got over 20,000 steps in the day, I was disappointed to not be awarded a badge. As far as I know, the steps didn't duplicate themselves; so why don't logged activities (which in this case had already been recorded by the fitbit, just not auto-logged as a separate workout) count towards badges?!! The floors climbed during the run counted towards a new badge for the day... why not the steps?!!

Mommyswami
First Steps

Clearly this still hasn't been fixed. I really think this is a GLARING error. My daughter was participating in a challenge today and worked really hard to win. But many of her steps didn't count! I got this GD thing to encourage her and this is just DIScouraging. This needs fixing immediately.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.