Longer Screen Time for Charge Trackers

I purchased my charge 3 after seeing it would have a Screen Time out Option.  It shipped without one.  Moderator Kate says it’s not available at this time.  The manual is now being changed to reflect that.

I really, really want/need that option.  It was the reason I chose the Charge.  That and my 50’s year old eyes.  The current screen only stays on for 3-4 seconds.  That is a very short amount of time.  I have to repeated tap the screen to read a text that comes in.  IF we are going to have the ability to get notifications, we need the ability to read them.

Please Fitbit, give us the option that was originally in the manual to change the screen time out.  The Versa has it, so I know it can be done.

Moderator edit: Title

1,090 Comments
druez
First Steps

Hmm, seems like a pretty easy thing to change in a software update.  I don't know why they wouldn't allow for this.  Makes zero sense to me.

ez8853
First Steps

I really love the charge 4 and its features; however, I am peeved by how little time the screen is on. If this issue is not resolved, I will be leaving Fitbit. This is just a software update— an extremely simple update. Please fix this soon so I can remain a customer.

arpad
First Steps

The short timeout on this, the lack of options and the often finicky automatic on makes the Fitbit absolutely useless as a watch. When I happen to not have an additional watch on, I often end up twisting my wrist, missing the display, twisting again.  Often I have to use my other hand to manually get the display on but even then, the display time is so short that it takes a stupid amount of time JUST TO CHECK THE TIME.

Most of the time, I end up wearing the Ftibit on one wrist and a watch on the other.

This the kind of trivial thing that results in such frequent frustration that I'm nearly convinced I'll never buy a Fitbit again... especially with the 3 years this issue has been open and over 2,000 upvotes (discounting the people that don't bother to come here).  This shouldn't even need to be a suggestion.

MatsH
Jogger

The current less than 4 seconds display duration is way too short. 20-30 seconds would be more appropriate.

Why not make the duration configurable, e.g. 5s, 30s or indefinitely.

Jimbo50
Jogger

The time set for timeout is WAY too short.  Have to keep waking the screen up.  VERY Annoying

blaize.warden
First Steps

What a joke fitbit is... I even tried contacting the Live Chat, but was given the same cookie-cutter response. Not having this feature is a kick in the teeth for the elderly, and the health care industry.

I've had to scrap this $250 purchase and buy a new watch. Hopefully they will lift their game when they're sold to Google, because right now, they are incompetent

Jayarrh
First Steps
It appears that its a non event so I have learned to live with it, I am
happy with Fitbits warranty tho, got a new strap in quick time the other
day!
arpad
First Steps

We see where they put their effort.  In reality, all interaction with the wrist device is frustrating due to this timeout.

I have two Aria scales as well.  The app syncs nicely with my calorie tracker, too.

What kind of "Premium" account do I need to get to have the device work, now that I'm being urged to sleep more?
I'm not eager to replace all of this hardware right now but it's almost guaranteed that I'll leave the Fitbit ecosystem once I need an upgrade.

Perhaps we can use this space in a more constructive way and discuss alternative solutions for those that are ready to move to a different brand.
Any thoughts on better working health trackers out there that the many thousands of frustrated users on this thread could consider?

NoKneed
Jogger
Agree. Thai has been requested for over 2 years by thousands with no
reasonable response. Please post a complaint on Fitbit's Facebook and
Twitter pages. FYI: The Charge 3 is useless. I got a Versa 2 that I like.
FFatbit
Jogger

Yes please add option to extend screen time.

Totally understand battery will be affected, but not enjoying device as it is. 😕

Janmk
Base Runner

I totally agree that increasing screen time would be a major improvement. 
If I knew the screen time was so limited I would not have bought this product. 

FitByFifty71
Jogger

Come on @Fitbit, listen to your customers 🙄

give us the option to increase screen visibility time 🤞

whybenorm1
Jogger

I think we are kidding ourselves if we think they will fix the charge 4.  This same idea for the same complaint on the charge 3 has been "under consideration" for over a year with thousands of people saying it needed to be done.  They claimed they would do it in future versions.  The charge 4 is a future version, and with almost 2 years lead time knowing about customer complaints, they did not fix it.  For whatever reason, they don't WANT to fix it, even though it would simply be a firmware update.  An adjustable screen time is available on other models.  I'm looking at the Timex R300 which is always on.  Several other watches are recommended on the charge 3 forum since they wouldn't fix it.  Too many people on here saying they wouldn't have bought it if they knew the screen time was so short and not adjustable, with no response from fitbit except to delete posts. 

SeabeeCapt
First Steps

Same problem not too little time to completely read display. 
Robert

Lghay
First Steps

I am returning my newly purchased Charge 3 after reading these posts.

whybenorm1
Jogger

Not only did they play us for fools, but they came out with the Charge 4 and guess what?  Still no screen time adjustment. Guess what the first complaint the owners have is?  I know you're shocked to find out they think a 4 second screen time is useless.  They lie and say it's still "under consideration."  I returned mine and got my money back.  I suggest you all do the same.  I went with the Timex R300 and love it.  It's ALWAYS on the lcd with a backlight when  you need it.  It had been so long since I was notified about this forum I forgot I was still signed up to it.  Shows how much attention fitbit pays to it's customers.

Return3
Stepping Up
Smart move, don't wait!Powered by Cricket Wireless
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@whybenorm1   hehe nah, mine ended up doing that janky screen flickering thing where you couldn't even use it, so I cautiously dismantled it with a hammer, and posted the pics on these forums. That thing is worth maybe $20 for what was inside of it... Screen is really really hard though, I'll give them that!

Pop-Pop-Moose
Recovery Runner

@SunsetRunner , You da man! I would love to see those pix. When mine bites the dust, I will know the proper dismantling procedure. Or maybe take it to the range!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Pop-Pop-Moose  🙂

I bet this doesn't get posted for having a link in it, but it's in this thread.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-3/Charge-3-has-gone-crazy/m-p/4011918

Though I think the range would be a lot more fun !! haha

Turboguy
Recovery Runner

I agree, this suggestion is a very fundamental and basic software upgrade that would add a great deal of improved usability to the interface.  I have good near-sighted vision, but i still find myself having to "wake" the screen up.  Yes I realize this will compromise the battery life, but that is a small sacrifice. 

I support the idea of changing the default screen time

I would also add that there should also be an option to leave the screen on during an FitBit "exercise" program. 

Pop-Pop-Moose
Recovery Runner

Like I've mentioned several times before, Fitbit support said they are absolutely NOT going to fix this issue.

Pop-Pop-Moose
Recovery Runner

This is a copy of the letter sent to me.

Hi Gregory,

We apologize for the experience you've had toward this matter. We do respect your position regarding this case. 

As for your feedback, we'd like to let you know that this has been taken into account and won't be unrecognized. We'd like to set proper expectation that this feature is not available on our Charge 3. However, we're collating all of our customer's feedback from our Ideas Board to ensure that we align all customer's interest towards fitness devices and provide them for best customer experience.

And having this feature added on our devices is a great idea and we look forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future and current versions of Fitbit trackers and apps, as they are currently working on updating our tracker so that all of your suggestions will be suited for Fitbit. Your patience and understanding toward this matter is highly appreciated. 

We hope to see your suggestion posted on our community page. Should you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to let us know. 

sidonnieann
Jogger

I just bought the Charge 3 and can't believe how short the screen timeout is. Even my Charge 2 was 10s. I would very much like for the time it takes the screen to timeout to be increased. The ideal would be allowing users to set their own time (up to say 60s) but at this point I would take even 10s.

arpad
First Steps

I've been looking at the Withings products.  Anybody have any experience with them?  They look pretty nice and feature rich.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.