Change Timezone on Fitbit Without Being Connected To The Internet

For next Charge, let me change the time zone displayed on the watch without being connected to the internet.  This is currently a huge hassle when flying.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and labels

56 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your idea with everyone! 

I could definitely see this being very useful. Let's keep an eye on what other users think.

supersmart01234
Progression Runner

I'm not sure how this would work, since it's most likely to have only one button like the other charge models. It would be too easy to accidentally hit it.

techfan42
Jogger

With Charge HR, there are at least three distinct "gestures": short button press to change modes, long button press (e.g. to start breathing exercise), and tap to switch screens (within a mode).  Some combination could be used.  Perhaps, short presses to page to time zone mode, long press to start changing it, short presses to cycle through time zones, and long press to confirm.  I'd leave the specifics up to the product team.  Alternatively, I'd settle for changing it on my phone and syncing via Bluetooth to the watch.  As long as no internet is required, I could still easily change it while travelling.

ffchx
First Steps

When travelling between timezones, it's impossible to change the timezone on an Ionic without an internet connection. Often when traveling, I don't have any form of internet connection, so this is very fustrating and essentially makes the watch unusable. Either, there needs to be a way to manually change the time on the Ionic itself or it should be possible to sync the watch with a mobile device that isn't connected to the internet. Why does the app insist on an internet connection for syncing? Surely the synced data could be stored locally on the mobile device until a connection was available.

Moderator Edition: Format

J-flex
Distance Runner

Good idea and this should be available for all other versions as well.  Including the Blaze which is now discontinued.

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SD275
Stepping Up

Great idea. Traveled recently and was unable to sync the watch to correct the time due to spotty connection. Very annoying.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes! My Blaze is giving up on me these days, it was out of battery and when I charged it, it wouldn't sync and the date and time stopped at the time it shut down, it took me two days to make it sync. I would have been so much easier to do it in the watch

gtg947h
Strider

Agree; the tracker should pick time up from the device it's paired with.  Failing that, there should be a manual time set option. 

carolyna1209
First Steps

Yes, please. Internet should not be a requirement for syncing!

woetheceo
First Steps

I agree with this request. My previous device would always sync via Bluetooth when I changed time zones, which is weekly. This device requires that the phone be connected to the internet before it will sync with new time. I have to use a hotspot device in order to accomplish this each time I move time zones. Since other devices have the ability to sync via Bluetooth, I would think it would be easier for the Ionic to sync via Bluetooth also. Please consider moving the time sync over to Bluetooth.

tcut
First Steps

I totally agree. This is the most frustrating part of my Fitbit and the number one reason I'm considering switching brands. I travel a lot, am often without internet (on ships, planes, in remote areas) when I want to change the time due to time zone differences. I want my Fitbit to be my go-to travel watch, but this makes it impractical. And there's no reason for this I can think of except Fitbit's burning desire to have my data. I, personally, don't want to share data, participate in some internet fitness group, etc. The current internet-only setup is amateur hour, IMHO.

@ffchx wrote:

When travelling between timezones, it's impossible to change the timezone on an Ionic without an internet connection. Often when traveling, I don't have any form of internet connection, so this is very fustrating and essentially makes the watch unusable. Either, there needs to be a way to manually change the time on the Ionic itself or it should be possible to sync the watch with a mobile device that isn't connected to the internet. Why does the app insist on an internet connection for syncing? Surely the synced data could be stored locally on the mobile device until a connection was available.

Moderator Edition: Format

ffchx
First Steps

Also, since many Fitbit devices have a built-in GPS, shouldn’t it be possible for the watches to pick up the local time zone automatically? Even when activity tracking is started (which enables the GPS), the time doesn’t update, and you’d think it would be possible for the devices to be loaded with world time data which could be used in conjunction with the GPS positioning to display the local time correctly. Either way, as others have said, this problem is significant for those that travel, and shows how little thought Fitbut put towards users’ needs. 

mountaintop87
First Steps

My husband is in service of our country, at times he is away without cellular data and no access to wifi. If the fitbit battery dies before he is able to charge it, he is not able to use it for the rest of the time he is away because the time is not correct once it does charge. He is not able to sync the iSO devise time with the time on the fitbit in order to continue to use it. It is a huge disservice to the military members of our country to be limited to using their fitbit devises to while they are at home.

HellsBells2784
First Steps

I have just accepted a job as a nurse working in ship medical centres on the high seas. I will be travelling through many time zones and will not have internet access at all. As I cannot currently change the time on my fitbit without internet I might as well throw it overboard for all the use it will be. I enjoy using my fitbit, competing with my A&E colleagues on who does the most steps each day and would miss it but if I cannot manually change the time I'm afraid you will loose another customer to your competion.

DeborahK89
First Steps

I was going to post, but found this suggestion already covers my request.

I purchased a watch just before leaving on an international trip. I was *significantly* disappointed to find out that I could *not* use my watch at all during the flight as it did not show the correct time. It was completely useless. 

There should be a way to sync at least the *TIME* from the phone without an internet connection. Or, as others have suggested, provide a way to change the time zone directly on the watch.

Thanks!

Chrigil
First Steps

It's unbelievable that this hasn't been implemented yet.

Not being able to change the time on my device whilst travelling across timezones means I have to do without my Versa for 2 weeks unfortunately.

Realistically, attempting to travel from the UK to Japan with a Fitbit means that one way or another, I will almost certainly spend approximately 16-20 hours in the wrong timezone right at the point that is most critical for my watch to be showing the correct time i.e. Checking in, travelling etc

Unfortunately I don't even consider using my fitbit whenever I travel. 

techfan42
Jogger
@Chrigil I agree.

In my case, I posted because I was stuck in the wrong time zone when
traveling from US to Ireland and Portugal.

I'm simply happy I don't travel regularly for business anymore. There was
a time when I was flying between time zones every few days. If I had a
Fitbit back then, out of frustration, I would have thoroughly destroyed it
with a hammer 🙂
mitchellsmith2
First Steps

Gotta agree with all the comments. That I can't just log in and update the time is nuts. I'm always changing timezones and most of the time don't have a connection when it happens. The Garmin and Apple watches are able to do this, I really don't know why it's taking Fitbit so long to write some basic code.

I'm one disappointed customer.

To be fair though, works great in the middle of the city.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Jim-G
First Steps

I have to change time twice a week due to business travel.  When landing in a different timezone, I have to sync my watch with my phone.  Getting the phone to connect to the watch and requiring that I have the PHONES GPS on and the Bluetooth is a real pain.  I often have to leave my Phone GPS and Bluetooth on for an hour before they'll sync (Samsung S7 phone).  

Since the Ionic has a GPS built in AND GPS has time of day in the signal, WHY do I need Bluetooth, Phone GPS and Phone INTERNET just to set the time correctly on the device???

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This is an interesting idea. However it will require that the user initiates the procedure. 

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @Jim-G.

Thanks for posting your idea in here. Having that option could make it very easy for users of the Ionic to get an accurate time on their devices without having to worry about syncing. 

Let's see what other users have to say.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

dbeardtx
Recovery Runner

Often internet access is not available while traveling.  However, while traveling it is very likely that you will need to change time-zones and even set new alarms.  This should be a minimal available functionality.   Also the fitbit only stores a couple of days worth of data, so it would be useful to be able to transfer it to your phone without an internet connection, e.g. through blue-tooth.  

I recently wore my fitbit on a one week cruise, out of cell-phone coverage.  Not only were the above functions not available, but when I was finally able to sync with fitbit, the app deleted all my food logs that I had entered into my iPhone during that week.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.