Make Heart Rate Data export in Excel/CSV format

Please add the heart rate data to the reports that can be downloaded/exported.  The ones for the activity and sleep are perfect but since I have a pacemaker I really need to have one to print out for my cardiologist showing how often I rise above the set pace.

Thank you

Mod edit: Title

903 Comments
jfferland
First Steps

Hi,

when I export the data from the "setting" menu, I get some data, but not all - mainly, I don't get heart beat data.  I would like to have all data points, not more, not less.  More precisely, I want to see heart beat at the pace that fitbit records it (ideally 1 data point every second - 2.5 second data would work). 24/7. The benefit is that I can clearly see the peaks, recovery rate etc.

thanks.

JHKNOT
First Steps

Yes, Also for people who buy fitbits to monitor their heartrates in the context of heart medication. 

When taking BETA blockers that reduce heart rate, its important to see on a more detailed scale what the heart rate is during a normal day. 

In way more detail.

This needs to be either seen in great detail on the dasboard (zoomable) or at the very least, exportable.

Users
Jogger

Can you please please add more data fields to the “raw data extract”...please. I would like to see my heart rate, different exercises, steps, basically everything that I track on my Fitbit. Thus way I can get a real good look at my overall body of work...

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

RossLeahy
Jogger

I really would love access to heart data - particular the fat-burning, cardio and peak data.

An export to CSV is pretty easy to develop after all - why not allow all data types to be exported?

RossLeahy
Jogger

it has been nearly a year since an official post and it looks like this will end up in the 'ho hum' basket.  Development focus will remain on features that are 'cool' and that marketing can use in their tedious ads.  Functionality that the dedicated user wants counts for little as they already have our money.

Gondwana
Veteran Runner

You can already download CSVs of all of your data from several places. You just can't do it directly from Fitbit's site.

AukeL
Runner

The smaller Alta HR doesn’t allow to download any HR data. Annoying!

Hartelijke groeten,

Auke de L

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

jeffsilverman
First Steps

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Once the data is exported, then I can use my own software to analyze it.  Or, I could load it into a spreadsheet.
I looked at https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1133 .  I am running the dashboard under windows/10, and I do not see a gear icon in the upper right corner.

fgroeli
First Steps

Hello,

Yes I find it very weak to say "your data is yours" and then force the paying customer to do piece-meal downloads of 30 days at a time, ridiculous if you have a few years' worth of data. COME ON Fitbit get your act together, this isn't complicated stuff like a new feature, probably 3 lines of code. 

That, and get it connected with Apple Health. 

If this doesn't happen soon enough I will ditch my Charge HR and maybe even the Aria and get something (like Apple Watch) that does work with the rest of my IT hardware. 

Thanks

scotto72
First Steps

Agreed, this would be super handy for me as it would help show how my periodization of training effects me over the course of a season or year.

LeiaBH
First Steps

i have asthma and would like to download heart rate to show doctors heart rate effects of taking antibiotics, steroids and the trend when becoming ill again, i can do this by scrolling through on the phone app but it would be clearer being able to print out as a full graph

JHKNOT
First Steps

What details do you need?

Moderator edit: removed personal information

mpittman
Jogger

When you have the graph up on your phone simply "print screen ". That will create a picture you can print. You can even put several on a page with Word or some other document app.

Mike Pittman

dukewags
First Steps

I got the Fitbit to help track sleep and Heart Rate, I am battling a parasite which is causing thyroid issues and low heart rate.  I see you are already graphing the data.  Why can't I get the raw data?
With the sleep data as already stated by others, it would be nice to know what times the awake times of night and the Deep Sleep times are.  If you can graphic.  It should be easy to get the string of data in Excel.

dukewags
First Steps

The other thing too is I own a charger2.

@Gypsylou wrote:

Please add the heart rate data to the reports that can be downloaded/exported.  The ones for the activity and sleep are perfect but since I have a pacemaker I really need to have one to print out for my cardiologist showing how often I rise above the set pace.

Thank you

I own a Charger2 and I see you already are charting heart/rate can I download/export the raw date with date/time.

If the Sleep date could have time added as well that would be a bonus.

LynnJ42
Jogger

My wife and I recently switched from Android Phones to iPhone X's and were disappointed to find the iPhone App does not track and display the Resting Heart Rate History, in the same detail that the Android does.  So we would like to suggest that the Resting Heart Rate be available for display in a graph format, over long periods of time, on both the iPhone App and the Fitbit Dashboard.

We have used Fitbits since April of 2015 and during that time my wife was diagnosed with A-Fib and had to have Open Heart Surgery in March of 2015.  Following her surgery she developed Tachy brady syndrome, where she had a fluctuation of her heart rate.  Her Fitbit Charge HR was very useful in minute by minute monitoring of this condition, even though her Cardiologist had her wearing a continuous monitor (A fairly expensive proposition for the month that she wore it.). Her Resting Heart Rate was also quite high at 110 bpm.  As she recovered from the surgery, being involved in Cardio-Rehab and developing an exercise regimen of her own, it was interesting to see her Resting Heart Rate drop over the time and between visits with he Cardiologist.  We would take him Screen Shots of the Fitbit Graphs, in which he showed great interest.

Another illustration of how useful the Fitbit can be for a person recovering from Open Heart Surgery is that a week or so ago, my wife's Resting Heart Rate went to 170 bpm and stayed there for 2-1/2 hours.  A Nurse Hot-Line suggested that we go to the Emergency Room, which we did.  The Nurses and Doctor treating her were interested in the Fitbit graph showing the sudden earlier rise in the Heart Rate and then how well the Fitbit was tracking her progress following the administering of a drug to bring down the Heart Rate.  The Fitbit Heart Rate was showing almost exactly the same Heart Rate as their monitors were showing.  

We have become very dependent on this information and hope you will consider making the changes required in making these histories available on all platforms.  We now have Apple Watches, but not near as easy to view as Fitbit.

JHKNOT
First Steps

Ill make you a deal. If you provide me with a charge 2. ill provide you my
data for sience. 🙂
110 euro isn't a big investment for some valueable data? I'll even trade in
my Alta HR if you want to.

--
Best Regards,

Hans K

ostonica
Jogger

Please add one more vote for exporting Heart Data, 

I bought the Blaze becasue I was told that it could export data, but I'm very disappointed to see that it cannot. I think I might return this. now. 

Jim

AukeL
Runner

Hi,

That is really disappointing;(

Regards,

Auke de L

ostonica
Jogger

Thanks for the offer AukeL. 

But I see that another user has made a website where I can download the HR data using the API Toolkit. 
I'll give that a try. 
So it cannot be that hard for fitbit to implement this. 
Fitbit support.  Please let us know what is holding this up. 
If there is a reason why you are refusing to implement this, please let us know.

happytippy
Jogger

one of the reasons why we bought several fitbits for our family was because one of our member has a medical condtion.  i thought it would be a good idea to be able to monitor her heartbeats as well as share the other data.  

i see a lot of patients, and some of them need to be monitor. fitbits can be used to encourage people not only to be healthy but to stay connected and linked for medical reasons.  the population is getting older, and i think a lot of younger children would be interested in buying fitbits for their patients if maybe being linked to them through heartbeats, and other vital signs could be an option.

jeffsilverman
First Steps

Let's think about this a minute.  If your heart rate is 0, then you are dead.  If your heart rate even approaches 255 beats/minute, you're probably not long for this world, either.  So heart rate in beats/minute can be represented as a single byte.  Minute to minute variations in heart rate are probably not significant, so if you sampled, say, once every 10 minutes or 6 times an hour, then you get a byte rate of 144 bytes/day.  That means that you can store a year's worth of data in 52Kbytes.  I have a USB thumb drive with 64 GBytes of storage that I got for $20 at Sam's Club.  If I am collecting 100 Kbytes/per person/year and round a little bit, I get 600,000 customer's worth of heart rate data.  GIven how many fitbits there are running (sorry) around the planet, that seems like a very tractable number to me.

What I am hearing listening to what other people are saying is that they want to import the data into an Excell spreadsheet.  A simple tab separated variable file would do the trick

Gondwana
Veteran Runner

There are numerous sites from which you can download the full details of your Fitbit heart rate data right now.

AukeL
Runner

It would be really interesting if we could substract also respiration data from the HR data available. Technically that is possible with the Fitbit PPG sensor that is in the Charge 2 and in the Alta HR.

Now we make graphs over the year of max and resting HR data. Also standard deviations and Karvonen graphs. With a sampling frequency of 1 Hz we might be able to deduct also respiration. That would be really nice

jeffsilverman
First Steps
Technically, this ought to be a cake walk. The question is whether Fitbit
actually cares enough to actually do it.

I think I will investigate if Fitbit has an API. I ought to know that,
it's what do. If I can figure out something, then I will let you know.

Jeff
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.