Make a new device similar to the Fitbit Zip

Hi, I have been using a zip since 2013 and I still love it.  I want a discreet tracker; I do not and will not wear a tracker on my wrist.  PLEASE keep the zip alive!  Although I can purchase a new Zip on your website, I cannot purchase a replacement case.  As you know, the cases only last 6 months or so.  Can you please bring them back?  The counterfeit cases only last a week and do not hold the Zip securely.  IF you want to bring back a different tracker that clips discreetly that is fine.  Please know there are many of us that do not want to display our tracker.  (we have nice watches!) Please, please please keep the Zip and bring the cases back.

Lisa Oakley.... AVID walker promoter of the Fitbit ZIP.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

17 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @leesabird, great suggestion. I think that a lot of people will like this idea, Zip was very popular. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

brak
Recovery Runner

It was kind of sad when they discontinued their different colors.  I didn't realize they stopped selling their cases as well.  Even if all the Zips have to be black, at least having color options for the cases would be something.

Deerla
Jogger

Yes, please keep a discreet tracker for those of us who favor anonymity.  I too prefer not to display my tracker on my wrist.  I find these trackers modern, collective and unattractive. I have been an ultra/one tracker user since August 2012.  I dread the day my one tracker stops working.  I nearly panicked earlier this year when my puppy chewed on it and its holder.  I replaced the holder with a knock off which is not nearly as substantial as the original Fitbit holder.  Thanks for a great product.  Its really made a difference in my life.  

Gaikokujin
Recovery Runner

I love my zip for the reasons stated above--I don't want to wear it on my wrist and will switch to another manufacturer altogether if the Zip gets discontinued. I just had to buy replacement clips off of Amazon for the first time and based on others' feedback, they don't sound as if they last very long. Please keep the Zip on the market (and the clip case too)!

Recovery Runner

I have had my Zip for many years and it has been my daily companion.  A great little device that does just what I need it to do.  I hope it stays available for a long time.  An excellent introduction to the world of Fitbits.

late58
Jogger

Why is the Zip no longer available?  A Fitbit chat agent told me today that it has not been discontinued but could not give any indication when it will be available again.  Its a great device and does all that I want.  In particular I don't want to have to wear something on my wrist.  Mine appears to be failing so I may need to replace it soon.  The only place I can find them to buy here in the UK is on eBay.  It is not available on the Fitbit store either.  Both new and used ones are selling on eBay for prices above the normal retail price which suggests that there is demand for the product.

So, Fitbit executives, what is the situation with the Zip and when will more product be available?

I just tried to post this and I am forced to choose a label from the column on the right.  None of them refer to the Zip or to general product availability.  Does that suggest an answer to my question?  So, I am choosing Future Products as the label in the absence of anything more appropriate!

elahk
Jogger

Exactly - I don't want anything on my wrist.  It happens I want it on my ankle, and velcro on/off.  This nice person at etsy.com understands the need, and I buy her gadgets that quickly attach/detach Zip to ankle:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/483405370/fitbit-zip-band-no-knot-choose-your?ref=yr_purchases

Though I had to add a second small velcro bit to keep Zip firmly enclosed in the strap, the solution is good enough for the time being.

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out there are people who don't want to see or feel a gadget on their bodies.  Like others, if something like Zip is no longer made by Fitbit, I'll find another vendor.

Babalookan
Recovery Runner

You need a tracker like the zip. Its broken and needs to be replaced. Simple step tracker is all most people want. Hate things on my wrist. Make the old zip work with android better.

danielz
Jogger

Individuals in the healthcare, hospitality, deli, fresh-foods, meat-foods departments at almost every store/location in the country are not allowed to wear watches! So the loose tracking of their work-day due to not being able to obtain fitbit-zip style products! Now that you removed the product, only a few new ones are left on ebay at prices nearing double the original price! 

Please reconsider the fitbit-zip style clip-on devices! You need at least one in the line-up!

Odyssey13
Community Legend

Hi @danielz 

The new Inspire Fitbit has an optional clip to wear like the Zip. It actually replaced the Zip and gives the owner a choice of using it on the wrist or with the clip. Have you seen them?

danielz
Jogger

Thank you! 
I looked all over and must have just passed by the accessory clip for the inspire..

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @danielz, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option again. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

KDD987
Recovery Runner

Have had my Fitbit Zip for years and years.  Find it totally perfect.  It records exactly what I want it to record; it clips on easily; the tiny batteries are convenient and last a long time.  Thought I had lost mine today and rather distraught when I found the Zip is no longer available.  Realize newer versions have a zillion features - none of which interest me.  Even if the price increases would be willing to pay the extra.  Additional complication is not what I want or need.  Sure hope you can resurrect this little gadget which so many of us love.  It's streamlined to my exact needs.  There is nothing wrong with simplicity.  Bring it back!!!!

OutsiderZX12R
First Steps

It was said above that the Fitbit Zip was very popular. Why was it discontinued?

SoftballJunkie
First Steps
Please bring back a simple clip on tracker like the Zip that uses a battery!!!
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SoftballJunkie, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about making a device similar to the Fitbit Zip with us. It seems a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Bevie88
First Steps

Absolutely would love the Zip brought back. I can't stand anything on wrist, don't want all the extra stuff of more complex Fitbits, just a simple tracker. The Zip was small and affordable and reliable. Would love one again.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.