Map Feature & Navigation Instructions eg Google maps

It would be great if it would be possible to get navigation instructions on the smartwatch. Maybe as a notification from the Google Maps App.

156 Comments
Mrsdarmstrong
First Steps

I agree. A google maps app would be fantastic 

Thx1158
Recovery Runner

Being able to mark a location and navigate back would be extremely useful in urban areas

replayreb
Recovery Runner

I agree. The most useful app I use on my Pebble is called NavMe. It monitors Google Maps notifications and vibrates when you are coming up on a turn. That and canned text responses are the two features I want most.

petaqui
Jogger

Hi guys!

I a mountain guy that spends lot of hours outside in the middle of the Pyrenees. Would be great having an option to add a track to the Ionic and checking the route on the watch to follow it, as sometimes up there, maps are needed. Or even just a line to check if someone is following the route or not, being able to come back to the path and not getting lost.

Thanks

Tina1164
First Steps

It would be nice to have a map app to give your real time location on a map. This would be especially useful in unfamiliar areas. 

Kjam
Jogger

A screen or ap displaying GPS grid coordinates should be easy to ad. This would extend the usefullness of the Ionic for long hickes and even in professional settings

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everybody! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Cantryboy
Sprinter

This would help me cut down on having to always be looking at my phone for sure!

TempoGate
First Steps

I tend to buy Fitbit Versa and Maps is the deciding factor. I hope Fitbit will bring them to Versa 😄

WavyDavey
10K Racer

So to do this, wouldn't the tracker need GPS? Are are we talking about downloading an offline map (which wouldn't know current location)?

Mebberts
First Steps

Would be nice to have on the watch face with a light vibration when a turn is upcoming.

mattwever
First Steps

I imagine this functionality to be a notification that comes through, or an always on application that shows the next turn direction and counts down the distance to said turn. When the turn is imminent (scaled based on speed, having detection for driving vs running vs biking) a vibration would occur alerting the user to glance at the watch, or take the turn they had looked at earlier and were just waiting for the right moment to execute.

Wingyun
Jogger

Would make such a difference to safety (Not having to take your phone out in unknown places) and exercise productivity (biking and running). It's the only thing stopping me from buying a new fitbit.

steveb944
Recovery Runner

@WavyDavey keep in mind the Versa uses the phone GPS. I tried a couple third party map apps, and it somewhat worked.

As for this topic I used to use it frequently on Wear OS. I think it vibrates when reaching different steps in travel.

derekmski101
Base Runner

I would like to get notifications or support for Google Maps navigation on the Versa.

mattwever
First Steps

This would obviously not be standalone - the watch does not have GPS. But who wants to take there phone out to look at directions when a simple buzz on the wrist and a glance at the screen can provide all the info you need.

KelvinL
First Steps

I would like to get notifications or support for Google Maps navigation on the Versa.

ChintzCoolMintz
First Steps

I travel weekly for work to several major metropolitan cities and on the weekends prefer to go Hiking. Having Google Maps available versa would be amazing and very useful. 

wearmiat
Recovery Runner

I really want to be able to see google maps navigation on the screen, and it seems I really like everything else about the Versa. Don't need standalone GPS as I have the phone along on rides anyway, but really don't want to have to pull it out.  Would love to be able to pull up the wrist and have it pop on showing where I'm at and whatever zoom level picked. Please do this fitbit!!  I wonder if the processor can handle it?

Brevan
First Steps

that would be great

GonzalodeDiego
Recovery Runner

Yeah, to get navigation instructions from my versa (or ionic in your case) when it is connected to the phone, would be so useful. Having like a minimap on my wrist that shows me the directions I have to take to my destiny would just be perfect.

JayJay_de
Base Runner

Please add your own "simple" navigation or waypoint app e.g. for Running or to find a point to remember.

It dont need to include real maps. It is just to be able to find a predefined way or a GPS coordinate. ... perhaps 2 apps?

Other currently available 3rd party apps have loading times for maps which are not acceptable. So ... a waypoint navigation ... also without the phone would be a great thing.

Anirudh_Rajah
First Steps

I am planning to buy the Fitbit versa and having Maps support would be a very useful feature to have. I am buying the versa hoping that this support will be added in the future. Hope you guys can add the support!

@
vhoysala
First Steps

Hi Fitbit team.. I got my new Versa. Very happy to see the quality of the product. It makes more better if you can support and develop more frequently used apps like Google maps and Phone dialer. Looking for more surprises from Fitbit dev

@Jakob_Freitag wrote:

It would be great if it would be possible to get navigation instructions on the Ionic. Maybe as a notification from the Google Maps App.

team. Cheers 

adrmcm
Recovery Runner

The Fitbit Versa has "connected" GPS. That, in other words, means no GPS. What is the point of connecting a GPS to your Versa if you can just use it on your phone? If Fitbit Versa had built-in GPS, it would be A  LOT more efficient because you wouldn't have to bring your phone on every run you take. Also, as a pro for the Fitbit company, they would get many more people buying the Fitbit Versa if it had this skill.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.