Notifications API

This is a much-needed interface. Adding a notifications API would allows developers to create interactive applications which, much like the steps left in this hour application, would allow for a richer end-user experience. This would open the door to developers create applications which support healthful reminders such as ones to remember to drink water or to get to bed on time.

Thanks

7 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JonFitbit
Fitbit Developer
Fitbit Developer

Thanks for the suggestion, it definitely would make a great addition to the SDK. We'd love to see other use cases added to this thread.

jakef
Jogger

At first glance this sdk hints at allowing developer applications to run as background processes which, from what I can tell from the vision of the Fitbit team, doesn't sound super appealing (battery life). An alternative would be to allow developers to register event handlers with another running (main) process. This way the 3rd party app wouldn't need to be running to receive events. The main process could wake the app and the app could run, in this case, some code which brings up a notification. Alternatively, another more restrictive alternative which could be used to limit draining battery, would be to allow developers to register event handlers which do not allow for arbitrary code execution, but instead allow for certain predefined functionality, e.g. a notification, to be associated with events

that0n3guy
Jogger

One of Jake's use cases was to open/wake a watch app.  This would take care of:

Otheer use cases for being able to launch watch apps remotely:

Jetiandresito
First Steps

I support this hoping that if will help to improve the communication between the phone and the watch of my Sleep as Android applications.

goldfish_23
Jogger

Yep notifications API to support Sleep as Android would be good!

ipwitan
First Steps

The watch could send a notice to the phone that the watch was fully charged!   ...and to put the watch back on.

Or just a simple reminder to put the watch back on. If the watch isn't sensing anything for an hour, it could communicate that it misses me.

melissa.bee
First Steps

Use case: The ability to accept multi-factor authentication login request approvals on the FitBit device, eliminating the need to use your phone to do so (e.g. Duo Auth). This would meet the community request for this feature which has been raised before:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Versa-Smartwatches/Duo-Mobile-support-on-Fitbit-Versa/td-p/261...

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.