Option to toggle Minions badges off/on

Please provide an option to toggle the Minions badges on or off, to avoid earning them or seeing them in the badges page.
42 Comments
Vincentsrose
First Steps

I absolutely hate minions. This demotivates me to earn steps and if this trend continues I'll be getting rid of fitbit. This is ridiculous. 

NoNameTwelve
First Steps

I would also like the option to turn these ridiculous minion badges off and not see them.  

x5mms
First Steps

If there is a badge for "daft ideas" the developer who thought of this one should get it.

Jeez.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please allow an option to opt out of the minion badges. 

badstink
First Steps

Wow.  I'm surprised by the previous user threats to stop using Fitbit just because they don't like 3 new badges.  Those are pretty extreme responses.  I would prefer to only be able to earn the standard step count badges (most have increments of 5K steps) but it's not that big of a deal of Stuart, Kevin, and Bob show up.  Thanks for trying to make things "fun" but feel free to give us the option to enable/disable certain badges.

FitnessBike
First Steps

Agree with this, please let us turn the badges off or better yet just remove them entirely.

I cannot understand why anyone would think that spending dev time on including mandatory graphics from a kids franchise in a fitness watch was a good idea.

I did not realise I was buying a toy, I thought I was buying a serious piece of hardware. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

So let me tell you why I'm cancelling my fitbit premium account trial:

1. The device has been increasingly incorrectly recording data since I got it in October, and it's pretty much become unusable at this point. Once I start sweating, it stops recording my workout.
2. I can't contact customer support online unless I link my device to my google account, and I don't want the accounts linked. 
3. I hate the minions. If preventing another stroke and treating arthritis won't motivate me to exercise, an obnoxious cartoon "badge" as a reward won't either. I'm not 4. I feel like I just got a sticker for going poo poo in the potty like a big girl, when what I'm dealing with are legitimate middle age health problems.
4. I can't delete badges myself, I'm being instructed to contact customer support.

Go back to step 2, repeat.

Your Facebook page gave me no way to place a formal complaint and sent me here instead. Where it is abundantly obvious you couldn't care less what your customers think. Who are you alienating by making it so you can delete badges? People who like them will still have them, people who don't won't. I just talked a friend out of getting a Fitbit of her own because some of us want to be treated like adults if we're spending our adult earned money on a health product. I don't know how your company is the industry standard, unless everyone is as much of a dummy as me. I can't tell you how much I regret buying this thing. Maybe this is why they fell out of fashion years ago. The minions. Seriously. I'm in my 40s, Mate.

Towboatjoe
Jogger

^^^Preach!!

Hopefully Fitbit realizes sooner rather than later this is negatively affecting their bottom-line. 

Angel31798
First Steps

I’d just like to add to this that these minion badges were the last straw for me in terms of moving away from Fitbit and getting an Apple Watch. It began when they started to pay gate feature after feature on the app requiring a subscription on top of the product I already payed for to view information that I could previously see after only buying the product. 

Then when I got that ridiculous minion badge, after actively disliking and avoiding the whole minion culture, I’d had enough. I’ve now thrown my Fitbit out and will never be purchasing another one given the awful monetary practices and willingness to sell out to any marketing gimmick that comes along.

I’ll just add that I have no issues with an additional subscription for the fitness videos and stuff, my problem was with putting up a paywall for getting your sleep scores and things that are basically the data points you bought the product for.

DoreenHope
First Steps

I agree that there should be an option to turn the minions off. What are they? Why are they involved in my progress? I never understood them. I think they might be a cartoon? I was annoyed when I was recognized for my attempts with a ‘minion.’  Did you know that the definition of a ‘minion’ according to the Oxford Dictionary is “a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one.” According to the Webster Dictionary, a minion is “a servile dependent, follower, or underling.” According to the Cambridge Dictionary, a minion is “a person who is not important and who has to do what another person of higher rank orders them to do.” Call me crazy but I don’t want to be a minion. What kind of reward is that? Please change it as soon as possible!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Coming in hot from May 2022. Any movement on the remove Minions brigade? Because this isn't what I paid for.

DoreenHope
First Steps
I didn’t like it either! But…I only got it once so maybe you won’t get it again!
Don't provide an option to turn on and off badges. Especially the minions badges.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Cromegas_Flare, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to toggle Minions badges off/on. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

dukeflipchart
First Steps

Please. For the love of God. What is this?? I'm absolutely baffled. How did this cultural detritus make it into Fitbit? Who thought this would be a benefit to the brand? 

Instead of a reward, for me, every minion badge adds a feeling of "Ugh, not this again". It is actively discouraging me. I understand that someone might like minions but it's hard to express without swearing how much I despise them.

Please, at the very least, allow me to turn them off. This is seriously important to me.

CarolElaine25
First Steps

I'm fine with adults who enjoy Minions (I'm 56, but I'm sure someone thinks my interests are childish - don't yuck someone else's yum), but it's not my thing. Can we please opt out and be able to earn the old badges? I'm using Fitbit again after dealing with health issues for a couple of years and I'd prefer not to earn another Minion badge.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.