Option to use all features on Fitbit Sense without Fitbit Premium

Fitbit Premium should be reserved for complementary products and services, not data access/analysis. Fitbit has chosen to put the data that differentiates the hardware behind a paywall, leaving the hardware undifferentiated. This is a doomed (and lazy) strategy.
59 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm considering cancelling premium as I don't use the features just the sleep info. I don't mind paying a small monthly amount but $10 is too high I feel. I have been a user now for 6 months and beginning to get the feeling that community questions are not taken seriously by Fitbit- But we live in hope. Its a competitive space and Fitbit needs to value their current customers a little more.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jeremiahlee, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding the option to use all features on Fitbit Sense without Fitbit Premium. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Marthinus.b
First Steps

I expected to be able to see all the analytics and sleep data that my device gathers without subscribing to premium.
I mean, I already paid for it by buying the device?
Sure the exercises and other stuff that comes with a premium can be a paid feature because that is extra content created by people.

To me, this is equivalent to buying a car but you are only allowed to use 3/4 of the available seating because you are not subscribed to the car's full seating plan.

Trista_
First Steps

I agree. It's very money-gouging to have to pay for a subscription to get full functionality of a product we already paid for.

fitmexyz1x
Jogger

Now that apple watch supports sleep tracking, o2 sensor and launched fitness+ available for everyone in the family for one monthly price, I would love to see more benefits from fitbit to keep me in their ecosystem.

I can get all these data and more from apple watch for free. Fitbit is just going to lose more customers if they dont do something about their premium policy. Charge a premium for what really is premium. I am paying $300+ for the hardware and the data it collects. If you want more money from me give me something that's worth the dollar. Your coach app truly deserves a value-add service so charge for that. Giving me more insights from the data collected from my device should be free.

Percula
Base Runner

Totally agree. 

the devices should have full (and evolving) functionality included. 

and the Premium service should be a true optional extra. 

N_M_
First Steps

I am glad I came across this. As it stands, I will definitely not be upgrading my FitBit Versa anymore and will move to Apple iWatch. I find the existing practice unethical and it raises a number of concerns.

Andrewskiee
First Steps

Well this is a bummer, I was going to buy an Apple Watch because I was only aware of Apple/Samsung watches... and wanted one to track my health and fitness activity, then my cousin mentioned the Fitbit to me. I thought the Fitbit was how it was when it first came out, a thin band hat looked outdated, but they apparently kept up with the look and "smartness" and can apparently give you a better look on fitness than Samsung or apple, BUT after finding out this information that its $10/month to use features that i believe I paid for (which what was advertised).. then I found out about the aurora ring or whatever and whoop band after I pre-ordered the sense... I will most likely be canceling my pre order.. sorry, but thanks for a short lived excitement. 

Andrewskiee
First Steps

Plus, I don't want to compare to Apple but I understand you guys' have to make your money, but if you are making enough money from the watches themselves then leave it as that, don't hide things behind a paywall. Plus, this is a competitive market, most will compare these 2 :

FitBit Sense (Which I pre ordered) .. vs Apple Watch (which I might cancel my pre order to get the new one that drops soon now due to this paywall):

Fit Bit : $10/month for features we were deceived into thinking came with the watch.

Apple: $15/month for Apple TV, 200 GB of Cloud, and Apple Music FOR 6 PEOPLE ..

Please, you barely got my attention after I found out about your watch, got excited and pre ordered it, I will now be withdrawing my pre order and wait for the new apple watch (which I didn't want originally) .. but if I'm going to have to end up paying a bunch, might as well.

VikingPrince
Jogger

Totally agree with the others and their sentiments in regards to the cost of "Premium" and losing functionality of the hardware if PREMIUM isn't paid for monthly.  That is totally ridiculous and will almost ensure bad PR from this will be capitalized on by Apple/Garmin bragging their customers do not pay for features their products support.  Also don't underestimate bloggers and reviewers lowering their reviews of your product or recommending other devices because of this business plan.

As an 8 year Fitbit Alum I'd offer you this alternative.  Take a queue from TIVO/PLEX, offer a onetime (transferable to new devices) LIFETIME Premium plan for $100 or so.  It is a onetime purchase for your base which most will probably reluctantly accept.  Otherwise for me personally, I would not pay more than $2/month ($20 annually) for the PREMIUM service (or $100 Lifetime). "IMHO" that is what I would consider "reasonable" for what I am getting in return.  My wife plans to buy the Sense when it is released but we are hoping your policy changes before the 6 month FREE Premium period ends. Otherwise she will probably give it to one of our kids, and buy an Apple Smartwatch to go with her Apple iPhone.  Really hope you are listening to those of us that are posting on this forum because I truly want to see Fitbit succeed and lead this market.

N_M_
First Steps

VikingPrince: I wish they would listen to you but I assure you they won't. Corporation make both good and bad decisions and they are often etched in stone. What is meant to profit the corporation does not necessarily serve the consumer. The consumer only has the choice to take it or leave it. If enough people walk away, FitBit might some day decide to change its ways. Alternatively, their competition may be emboldened to take a similar stance. Who knows. There are simple EKG devices that will not report to Google, and if you have an iOS device, iWatch will always play nicer. The iWatch battery life will someday improve too. A $300 sensor device without access to its data about you without a premium subscription? They can always justify it one way or another. It is up to us to accept or reject their proposition. I say to them "no thank you."

Bobori
First Steps

As an avid user of the fitbit for some years now, I was really looking forward to upgrading to the sense mainly for its new sensors, but hearing how a lot of the data is going to be behind a paywaal, it may be time to start looking into Garmin or Apple

Really a shame

evilwombat
Jogger

I am super glad I read this thread. This information cemented my decision to avoid buying the Sense, which is a real shame because the hardware looked amazing. Even with a Charge 4, the relentless Premium upsells destroy the user experience. I can either give Fitbit another $330 for the new hardware and never be bothered with this Premium garbage again, or not give them a penny more. Those are your options.

Fingers crossed that post-acquisition, Google will throw this garbage out, along with those responsible.

Rsfreitas
Recovery Runner

It's a bit of a rip off indeed. Made me think a lot before buying Sense... At least having different subscription packages, so if you want the workouts/coach etc, you can pay for it, but if you just want your own data, it's a minimum cost to cover app and server maintenance, not this super expensive Premium.

aflanos
Jogger

I wish I did not preorder Sense solely based on the press releases regurgitated by the tech sites.

- Why keep the collected data behind paywall, such as oxygen sat etc. vs time? It is already my data, I paid for the hardware for god's sake! Fitbit did not process it YET!

- Why advertise it "it'll be shown on health metrics" instead of saying it will be available for paid premium members only. Why conceal the paywall by describing it as a tab on the app? Why be so vague about "average", "trends" etc will be available? This is predatory atitude!

Paywall would be understandable if only data processed through some advanced proprietary methods and content are behind it. Otherwise this will be a scam.

This is not going in a good direction. And guess what, instantaneous Sp02 is not even available. It shows the average data only with one clock face only after you sleep! Health metrics tab is crashing the app! There goes weeks of my free premium trial before they fix it. If these are not fixed, things won't be positive for Fitbit.

If I were Google, I would already get worried about the image of Fitbit that they are likely to deal with after the deal is closed.

jcml
First Steps

I agree with what other users have been saying.

I was going to buy the Fitbit Versa 2 but I changed my mind when I realized I need to subscribe to a plan to get basic data that is being recorded already. A sleep tracker that hides data from you behind a paywall? Good luck with that.

After two years the cost doubles, so I'd be better off with better hardware that does more and does not hide and tries to sell me my data.

deepxtz
Recovery Runner

I agree.

I have written about this in the past.

This is the main risen for people to not buy a Fitbit

askmrhp
Runner

With the $300 price tag I can't find a reason to buy one. In the last 7 Years of Fitbit products that have owned. The apps and customer service have been poor. With my retirement I have to purchase wisely. Fitbit costs too much for so little.

gama1961
Stepping Up

I have been with Fitbit from the beginning.  I when through 3, maybe 4, Ones before I got my Versa, and currently I also have an Aria Scale.  I am due a new watch and this is one of the big points of contention.  I will not use something that I must have a subscription to get to my own data,  that like paying some not to rob you.  I am looking at all other options, including Apple which I really don't like.

Filmguy5
Jogger

As everyone is writing.  I've also been with Fitbit since the beginning.   I saw them develop some amazing features both with the watch and through their app.   I actually just found out today that I can't review (beside step data) any of the analytics through the app software anymore.  It's now blanked out and I'm reading it will cost me almost $10 a month to get what I used to get for free.   I hate to say it, although if this doesn't get changed in the next few months my next watch (for Christmas) will be an apple watch.    I have about 20 friends in a group and we challenge ourselves to up our steps.   If I end up switching, I will campaign that all of the friends in my group switch over to apple as well so we can all stay connected.  

quecksilver
First Steps

I was very much looking forward to getting a new Fitbit; however, reading that we don't have access to our own data and cannot build it either (its not accessible via the Web API if other feature request is believed) then this is a no-go for me. And to think that its bad enough that Google has purchased them. No thank you, fitbit needs to do better and should infact give us control over how much we share with them instead of having us pay for it.

erberlin
First Steps

I’m really glad I read this. I was planning to upgrade, which is why I joined the forums - to ask for another feature (intermittent fasting tracking). But if the whole reason for the upgrade is these data features, and now all of that is behind a paywall... What’s the point?

Thanks for saving me some money!

kylke
Recovery Runner

Analysis is one thing, but access to data is another. Does the fitbit record and store data you're not allowed to see?

If you live in the EU or UK, I believe you could technically file a DSAR (data subject access requests), and get your hands on it that way.

AWZ1287
Recovery Runner

I agree with all the statements. I was planning on ordering the sense, being my original versa is due for an upgrade. I have been hesitant to buy one, with a lot of the features only offered with the paid membership. 

GuyBoggan
Jogger

I agree, I just received my sense and it's crazy that data can be collected but is then hidden behind a paywall after already choosing to pay significantly more for health metrics on the sense over the versa 3.

I would be happy to pay a small subscription for things like guided meditations and coached workouts where I know it takes significant work to create them and update them and they truly are an extra feature to the hardware that is the watch.

However, graphs and insights about data collected on the device we bought to this for us should be available for free in every possible layer of detail, I'm shocked that it isn't.

For example stress score details, I paid for the sense to learn about my stress and stress management but all I get is a random score and I have to pay further to know how that was generated... this data hiding genuinely feels like it is breaking consumer laws, in so many ways I feel mis sold by what the sense was offering

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.