Provide progress of issues reported in forums

For Feature Suggestions we can track progress to see where in the process the Feature suggestion is pending. Would be good to have the same for issues/defects raised through the forums. 

could be something like:

- New Issue : Collecting Data

- New Issue: Analysis by development team

- Issue Rejected: not an issue ; works as designed

- Issue Accepted: Solution Design

- Issue Accepted: Solution in progress

- Issue Resolved: Integrating in FWU

- Issue Resolved: Beta Testing 

- Issue Resolved: Released

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

20 Comments
spartacussed
Recovery Runner

Please publish a list of outstanding bugs.  Include:

• status
  • assigned priority
  • progress to date
  • estimate of when the bug will be fixed

Community members will be able to track bugs, and moderators will be able to update threads with links to tracked bugs.  Aside from the benefit to customer support, Fitbit could also use the list to showcase their rate of development.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

seafea
Recovery Runner

I doubt they'll do this. They'd have to actually fix bugs instead of just ignoring them.

joelm
First Steps

Let's be honest.  The state of your software on nearly all platforms is horrendous.  

I'm just one person using the software using what I would consider a common setup, and the amount of bugs I have to deal with when using fitbit software is embarassing.  

For instance, there are missing features everywhere.. for example, I can join a group using the Windows 10 app, but there is no way to leave the group.  The only option is to use a different platform to get myself out of a group.  Sometimes options just disappear for no reasons.  Like when you click on a person and the 'add friend' button is there, but then you click ok, and then click on the person again, the add friend button disappears.. you can add their friends.. but you can't add them without switching to a different platform, or maybe restarting the software.     

There are just way too many examples of things that don't work as they should.  Even basic syncing. For example I will sync and it doesn't update everything on the dashboard (on all my platforms). Sometimes syncing multiple times brings in all of the information, sometimes it only brings in part of the information, and then you have to click on each individual tile (sometimes a few times) in order to get updated information.  

The amount of weird things jumping around, not behaving properly, not behaving the same way each time you use each feature is literally out of control.  Are people not getting fired for this?  

At any rate, most of these end up being minor inconveniences, and the software is still usable.. or rather, you can usually find at least one platform where the feature you want is working.. but to say that this should be the standard user experience reflects poorly on your company.  

I also assume that since people are usually able to work around these issues, that you aren't getting the level of feedback that would help you resolve most issues.  

A better solution to random forum posts would be a public facing bug tracker.  

Personally, with every bug that I find, I would not want to bother creating a forum post, where historically nobody reads it, the information doesn't get to the right people, and you don't even know if anyone is working on the problem.

But with a bug tracker, I'd be happy to submit all the bugs I come across, or at least find information to know they aren't already being worked on.  

A public facing bug tracker would allow people to submit necessary information.. what software platform they are using, versions of software, OS version, device type, steps to recreate the problem.  

Internally you can mark requests as duplicates, escalate issues that are experienced by more people, allow yourselves to work with detailed information from users instead of what a user might leave on a forum post, for example: describing a problem, but not submitting enough information to recreate or understand the problem, etc. etc.  

I'm sure, or rather, am hopeful that you have an internal bug tracker that you are using to fix errors, but without a good way to collect necessary information from users, you're just creating tons of more work for yourselves, and missing out on the opporunity to collect the information you need from users.

With as bug ridden as all of your software is, this is something that would help your company's internal development leaps and bounds and in the end benefit the users as well.  

Please consider creating a public facing bug tracker, or opening up your current bug tracker to the public.  

mlindgren
Runner

It would be really nice to have a public facing bug tracker for the Ionic and the FitOS SDK, so that we can see which issues are being tracked and what progress is being made on them.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @spartacussed this is an interesting idea, thanks for sharing. We do our best to keep various pages across the community boards updated with bugs and progress updates, but this could be a different way to track updates. Thanks for sharing.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Jorgepino
Base Runner
what about fixing the current BUGs?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @spartacussed, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Guy_
Space Racer
Publicize recognized issues under development to appease users experiencing those problems, knowing they will get resolved.

Publicize issues that have been resolved so users know to escalate if they still have them or look for a more recent version containing the resolution

Publicize any service disruptions.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

With most known issues there is a pinned post at the top of the affected board. Like the pinned post at the top of the Android board that recently was replaced.

The trick is to go to the proper board. . 

Guy_
Space Racer

@Rich_Laue  The pinned release announcement is not relevant to this notice board suggestion. it doesn't contain any of the elements suggested.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

LokeAa
Distance Runner
Many support communities like Windows and Android have a known issues section. Users can check if others have reported the same issue. In the Sense community, many are frustrated over the same. Indicating it might be software related. My device tells me I'm exercising during my sleep. Make it hard to trust the advanced features to be accurate.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LokeAa, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding a known issues section for Sense. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Guy_
Space Racer
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I suggest that Engineering management go through the existing bug list, raising the priority of functional bugs and deprioritizing cosmetic and social media aspects of the code. By "functional" I mean core functionality like GPS receipt, accuracy in step count, etc.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see management go through the existing bug list. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

RonaldM
Sprinter

I so recognize this request, two months ago there was an issue with disappeared metrics data (Sense). A lot of posts on the forums and al received the same answer we can now dream (soft reset, wristband instructions, links to the FAQ's). Surprisingly when I chatted with Fitbit support on Twitter I received a message 'we know about the issue and working on a solution'. A couple of days later a post was made on the forums about this issue. And again a few days later there was a message saying that the issue was resolved. But now again complaints about the Health Metrics data are popping up on this forum and again the answer is 'we are working on this issue'. Please pin a post mentioning the issue so we can all complain there on one spot and keep the rest of the forum clean for other issues. 

Seanmann
Recovery Runner
The current methodology of users reporting bugs lacks helpful transparency and information. Currently the workflow lacks telling the user that the bug has been reported and support staff are unable to even check the bug reports to tell if it is a known issue or being worked on.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Seanmann, thanks for sharing this suggestion about having a place to see bug reports, the progress and status with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.