Remove location access pop up on the iOS Fitbit app

Please remove the annoying, repetitive question when I turn on my Fitbit::Allow Location Access. I am not interested in this feature and feel I am being treated as a child who doesn’t know what is good for them! Show me some RESPECT please, Fitbit. I have disabled location in my iPhone and in the Fitbit app and yet the question repeats, repeats, re

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

64 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Rwpjed, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about removing the "allow location access" message on iOS devices with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Mothis
Recovery Runner

I couldn't agree more. It is a complete lack of respect to honor users' privacy who don't want constant tracking of location. Further it disregards the fact that some users do not want Fitbit to use up data when not connected to wifi. I've had a fitbit for many years and seemed to function just fine without needing locations services on constantly until a month or so ago when the pop up appeared every time I opened the app. This will be the tipping point in deciding whether to upgrade Fitbits or go to another device like Apple Watch.

---------------

Fitbit's mobile app has recently started demanding I change location access and bluetooth sharing to always. I have it set at "while using the app" which seemed to work fine for the several years I've had a fitbit, until now. Because my fitbit data seemed to be collected before with no issue I don't understand the change.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mothis, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync iOS devices without allowing location access. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. 

HJSM
First Steps

Hard agree! It’s an intrusion of privacy to insist that location tracker is always on. And deeply irritating to be reminded about it every time I open the app. Please change this soon.

Rwpjed
Jogger
Well put. I am so tired of apps that infringe on my privacy!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Johannes42
First Steps

I’d like to be able switch between apps without needing again dismiss the location nag dialog when returning. 
Apple Watch doesn’t feel so overpriced anymore in comparison when you factor in usability and respect of users. 

MikeyT
Jogger

I couldn’t agree more with this request. I have counted my steps with Fitbit for 10 years and have no wish to be tracked for functionality I do not use. Only recently it has started to demand that I enable location services every single time I look at the app, please show some respect Fitbit, in principle you should not be asking for information not required. 

Furball
First Steps
Hello. It is not at all right to expect us to select "always use my location" if we don't want to. This "feature" is so annoying that I will not replace my current device at the end of its life unless I have a proper choice about what information I choose to share.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Furball, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of syncing your data without having to enable location on your phone. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. You can find the same idea for Android here as well. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community!

jefftom1
Recovery Runner

In my opinion, there is no reason why the Fitbit app needs my location to be "Always" available.  It was okay for the setting to be "Never" until recently (only the last couple days for me (currently 11 June, 2021)). Does Google's acquisition of Fitbit and the fact that Google can monetize my location by sharing the data with other apps to push offers onto my phone have anything to do with this?

Max242
First Steps

The app asks a question. If I say no it should not ask the same question over and over. I simply want to choose when I want to use location services. It happens also in Dutch..

Linsang
Stepping Up

Yes, please stop asking me the same question over and over. You can offer me a link explaining why I might want to switch my Location settings to 'Always', but if I've said 'No Thanks', as you've given me the option to do, then please don't ask me again every single time I return to the app! I've been loving Fitbit for years, but this is a recipe for madness and for negativity about the device and the company.

StevieTacos
First Steps

I cannot agree with this more. And while FitBit customer service has generally been stellar, their response to this has been unacceptable. No means no. 

Pipertg
First Steps

This is so disrespectful and intrusive. In addition, it gives the appearance of respect with the “no thanks” button, but has zero effect at all. Given all the scandal Fitbit was in when they revealed troop movement you would think they would take privacy concerns seriously. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/08/06/devices-and-apps-that-rely-on-geolocatio...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I too and very annoyed with this popup.  I've been using the app for years and always had the setting on "while using the app".  Suddenly, today I started receiving the popup.  Nothing I could do to prevent it except to agree with "always".  I find this incredible intrusive.  I had been continually concerned since the purchase by Google of more and more intrusive measures being incorporated into the Fitbit app.  Please listen to your customers and fix this.

Rwpjed
Jogger
Thanks for your feedback. The more said on this subject the better.

Sent from my iPhone
RissaK
First Steps
The Fitbit app recently started pushing a pop up prompting user to set location services to “always.” I would like an option saying “do not show me this again” so that I do not see the pop up every time I open the app.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RissaK, thanks for sharing this suggestion about permanently dismissing the location services pop up on the iOS Fitbit app with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

billstewart1
Jogger

I think this happened when Apple did some privacy improvements for phone apps.

But yes, since I do not want Location Access set to always, I should only have to tell the Fitbit App "No Thanks" once and it should stop bugging me.

I don't keep GPS on on my iPhone (battery reasons as well as privacy), and I often don't have my phone with me when I exercise, so my choice is "Never", but even leaving it set to "Only while using app" would be ok.

KFW_8
First Steps

The insistence that I provide my location is for your benefit, not mine.  If I choose not to provide the location, and understand/agree with the decreased functionality, it should accept the answer to my question.  The repeated prompting for the same thing is a big. Basic usability design.

I should not be required to provide private, sensitive, and sometimes dangerous to reveal information which is not a requirement to track steps.

Samanthaerin
Jogger

WHOA so this isn't a glitch in my new device????  Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I have 22 notifications from today alone asking me this very question. I am not going to always share my location.  thank you for convincing me to buy an apple watch. 

-----------------

Stop asking me for my location to always

TomFromRI
First Steps

Agree with everything that’s been said. I complained twice before finding out about this way to make comments. I will delete Fitbit app if this is not resolved soon, it’s so annoying and unnecessary. Seriously Fitbit? Every time I look at the app you ask the same question. Infuriating! 🤬

TomFromRI
First Steps

Now I’m getting notifications on my Home Screen - if upload a pic if it were possible. Seems like Fitbit has decided to double down on this decision instead of listening to us. We need to increase the number of comments, let’s all ask at least one person to post about it and we can double our voice!

Rwpjed
Jogger
I agree

Sent from my iPhone
Scn
First Steps
Please disable the constant repeated prompt to turn on location services. I now get this on the app every time I open it or when I return to the Home Screen within the app despite choosing no every time.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.