Remove taunt button

Instead of "taunt", I wish you could "motivate" or "encourage" friends. 

Moderator edit: Added labels 

9 Comments
FarhanTKhan
First Steps

Great idea. I hate the Taunt button personally. The number of times I have accidentally pressed it only to have a friend reply back and say why taunt? Taunt is negative... I personally believe that if it is required it should not be so prominent where you can accidentally press it or click on it.

I much prefer the "Encourage" or "Motivate" option.

You have my vote.

FarhanTKhan
First Steps

Dear All,

My suggestion is regarding the "Taunt" button and why it should be removed. Taunt has negative connotations and though you can use it for a little tongue in cheek "taunting" between friends my problem is that on your website and within the App, the button is too prominent and easily mistaken for a harmless 😛 but when I have accidentally sent it to a friend, her response has been a curious "Why did you taunt me" and I end up apologising because the intention as with many emoticons we are used to is to just poke your tongue in a cheeky fashion by the word "Taunt" is netative... I press the button and it says "You have Taunted xyz" which is negative.

Can you please remove this feature from being so prominent and if it must remain, don't make it so easily accessibly. I would prefer custom messages to be selectable instead of a fixed "You have taunted so-and-so" message.

Someone else posted that there should be a "Motivate" or "Encourage" button. Considering everyone is trying to become more health conscious which is what your organisation wants through their product placements, encourage and motivate instead of taunt would win you more positive feels, if you get my meaning.

Kind Regards,

Farhan.

I want the taunt thing removed (not for everyone, necessarily, but *I* want it to not be a part of my Fitbit experience).

Yesterday I wanted to see how well a friend was doing, so I clicked on their name and instantly got a message that I'd taunted them.  I didn't even see the "smiley" faces, it happened so fast.  I did not intend to taunt (or cheer, or send any comment at all to my friend).

I noticed that I had an old message I'd never seen before, dated from about three months ago; when I opened it, it said that my friend had cheered me.  I couldn't think of a reason why they'd have done that, so I asked if they'd done the same thing as me, and hit that stupid button by accident.  Yes, they said, that's totally what happened, they did not intend to send a cheer/taunt, they just clicked my name and the software was too sensitive/fast.

If this has happened to 100% of the people I know on Fitbit (two is small for a sample, but it is still 100%), then we're not the only ones.  Other people must be sending taunts and cheers without realising (and I see that Farhan, above, did have the same issue).

The smiley faces are not obviously, and you only have to hover a mouse over them for them to sent a taunt that you never intended.  It needs to be harder to send a taunt, considering that it's a pretty obnoxious thing to do and is liable to offend people who receive one.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SilviaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for the idea! This could motivate more users and make them wanting to continue walking. 

Hope this can be an idea in the future Smiley Happy

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

What if the "taunt" and "cheer" icons remain, and several other emoticons are added? I think what we need here is a larger selection of comments / cheers. Also, maybe arrange these buttons differently so they're not accidently pushed. It really shouldn't be an issue to do that. Just a thought.

sjhowe
Base Runner

I agree with @Lueck767. The solution isn't to remove, it's to add. I personally think the taunt feature is funny and so do my friends as we are competitive and just sending it in a joking manner, hence the silly face. I don't find it negative at all. Even when I've sent it by accident, I've never had someone be offended, I just sent an "oops, I didn't mean to taunt you" message.

If you do want to "motivate" or "encourage" friends, there is already a "Cheer" button.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

nicluc
Jogger
Taunting should not be encouraged whether your intention is for it to be 'fun' or not.
Remove the option to taunt people and only have positive encouragement
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @nicluc. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about removing the taunt option with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.