Restore Feature for Data Download CSV file

To whom it may concern,

My lab, the Yale Stress Center, spent a lot of money purchasing Flex 2 for a research study. We were told we would be able to download the data to csv files so that we could review the data in Excel.This was possible as of last week.

I have realized today there has been an update which now prohibits us from downloading data more than once every 24 hours. This update also makes the process of downloading data take many more steps - you have to receive several emails and then click download. Worst of all, it now does not allow you the option to download the data into a csv file to be viewed in excel. When the data is downloaded, it's all in separate JSON files, making the data impossible for us to use for our research purposes in a seamless way. We were promised that Fitbit would be a good resource for our research & this process is now extremely difficult. Please restore the feature that allows us to easily download data through settings ,data export, csv file. We need this change to be installed ASAP. 

Thank you,

Olivia Roberson

34 Comments
JonahUK
Recovery Runner

Just to add to the numerous posts on here, restore the function back. Absolute numpties. JSON is only suitable for API usage, it offers NO value whatsoever to everyday end-users. Complete idiocy.

morgan3endis
First Steps

Please return CSV export functionality.

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @olivia.roberson and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re happy to let you know that this has been released. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here (https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export). If you would like to use the old data export tool click here: Export My Fitbit Data. As you've submitted a high quality suggestion, you will now receive a higher voting weight worth 5 votes. Thank you for sharing your ideas and enthusiasm with the community.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thank you so much for listening to your customers and making this change. It is very much appreciated. You have restored a lot of goodwill and maybe even gained some. Well done!

Loonie2018
Stepping Up

Thanks for listening and returning the old download process.  I retrieved my missing data as per the "old process" and all is good.  Thanks again

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Loonie2018, thanks for confirming. Keep sharing your comments and features!

Bellasgirl10
First Steps

Please go back to the old data export tool.  I use this for work for rewards points. It was very easy and took very little time to go to the website and print out my data.  Having to request by email, and then wait for days to receive the same information---why?

thrlsekr
Jogger

Wow, have just spent an hour to download my archived data and when I download the data and extract from the zip file I find these .json files???????

Not a programmer but have recently had a medical issue and since I have had a Fitbit since 2015 thought the data would be good to review and maybe show my doctor but cannot view the ,json files without downloading ANOTHER program. When I do download a program to view the file the data is in an XML format. that is way too laborious to review and compare. Useless for the layman.

Did find one other post about this from April of this year and the response was that you hope it gets a lot of votes?(!)

Could someone please guide me to have my archived data in an excel file so a non-programmer can review the data?

Sorry if my frustration is apparent in the post. THX!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @thrlsekr, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.