Separate BMR from Activity Calories Burned

I will admit to being someone who quite recently learned what BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and that we burn a certain amount of those calories just to live based on our gender, weight and height.  

Currently Fit Bit combines BMR and activity calories together.  While I think it's very valuable for people to be aware of BMR, it's also nice to see (and reward yourself) for activity based calories. 

It would be really nice to have a clear seperation of the two in a real-time tally on the Dashboard and even on the Fit Bit device.

Ex. Today:

BMR - 790

Activity - 560

Active Minutes - 200

Total - 1350

Frankly, throughout my day, all I care about is activity calories.  Right now as a user I have to do a calculation at end of day (total calories minus my avg BMR) to see how hard I worked that day, sweating my butt off, not just blinking and breathing.

Thanks! I'd love to hear whether or not i'm just missing something and this is available, or if it's something you'd consider for an enhancement. 

Kristi

Moderator Edit: Labels / Updated subject for clarity.

171 Comments
Truffle
Recovery Runner

Thank you Lizzy for taking your time to read my post and help. 🙂

Basanta_Nayak
First Steps

200% agreed. It’s totally bizarre to see that kind metrics total calories burned with BMR . How user will know active calories burned per day ..? Before joined I was a Apple Watch user and there i have not seen this kind of bizarre metrics apple watch always count BMR calories while wearing and that should be . Think about why people wearing smart watch is it to see BMR calories..? Then you need to understand your logic first what make sense to people tracking about calories burned per day by any activity to be separate out. As I am IT guy I don’t think so it is so difficult.

Jignaasu
First Steps
I have a Fitbit Inspire 2, and the app shows that I burnt over 1,500 calories in one day even if I did not do any exercise that day. Fitbit calculates calories burned based on BMR, but it would be a good idea if we had the option to turn that feature off so that the amount of calories burned reflects our actual physical activity that day.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jignaasu, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to turn see the amount of calories burned that reflects physical activity for the day. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Shanae25
First Steps
Can they fix the calories burned to show 0 for when there is no data? I even went in to clear the data prior to Jan 4, and it still shows 1537 all days before that date. I looked at other data like calories in, steps, and miles they show correctly as 0.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Shanae25, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to see separate BMR from activity calories burned so it can reflect 0 when you don't have any data tracked. I've moved it into a similar request. You can read more about how Fitbit devices calculate calories burned here. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

sledgus
First Steps
The Fitbit versa 3 doesn’t seperate what calories are from BMR and what comes from exercise/activity. It really needs two seperate categories
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @sledgus, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option separate what calories are from BMR and what comes from exercises. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Ely8309
First Steps

I also recently bought versa 3 and the same problem I have. What is it fitbit doesn't seoerate BBR from real activity? I had very badic watch before and it just showed my real activity burned calories. I wanted to upgarde my watch and I feel disappointed of wasting my money in fitbit. I never thought a smart watch like fitbit shows the burned calories with BMR which is a useless number. At the end of the day, I should go back and calculate what is the real activity burned calories. I set a goal and it just shows BMR and I achieved the goal for burned calories. I mqy return back to my old watch

Mello01
First Steps
It would be nice if there was an option to remove BMR from the total calories burnt.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mello01, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about removing BMR from the total amount of calories burned. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

MissaMu76
Jogger

Oh for the love of everything holy, it's 2023 and FitBit still hasn't made this feature change!!!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Allow users to decide if they’d like to track active or total calories.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to decide between getting activity calories burned or with BMR included. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

andrewlee1313
First Steps

Any update on this feature? Went to the trouble of creating an account here just to comment and vote, it's that important to us. Please take our input into consideration!!

norman_cates
Recovery Runner

I've given up on Fitbit, My Fitness Pal, My Net Diary as organisations who have any interest in giving us OUR OWN DATA, in any useful format.

Or giving us the pieces of data that we need to make our own determinations on progress.

I literally cannot find any app or website that lets us import all our data from any of these apps / devices (including Apple Watch) and then graph it.

Not even getting the data out. Fitbit will export your data, but the format is so incomprehensible that you can't even use it. 

I'm sure they are using our data in some way that gets them money. Which fundamentally I'm fine with, if there was a quid pro quo that I could ALSO get my data.

I despair of the whole thing.

Snakezed
Jogger

Surprised this is still not an option. Someone told me Applewatch does this. If I burn 400 cals on a walk, I don't want the amount of calories I would have burned just sitting there included in the total! I want to know how much I burned purposefully with activity.

Milliexdj
First Steps

This has been going on for years and they don't seem to take any notice, all they say when you call up is "put it on our forum" I hate the fact you can't see what you have burnt by being active throughout the day, they need to take away the recommended calories and not combi

Voyager2
Recovery Runner

I'm unsubscribing from the thread. I switched to a Garmin which has this feature.

CherH1
Recovery Runner

Is there a update already??

I’m very irritated to read that so many people want this to happen.. this topic goes back till 2015 😞

if they don’t change it, i’ll buy another watch!!!

Mello01
First Steps
No there's no update yet unfortunately 😞
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.