Set BMI Goal

Instead of concentrating on my weight, I concentrate on my BMI health status. 

Suggestion:  Allow me to set and track a BMI goal so that I can concentrate on relative health rather than just weight.

Alternate Solution:  Add a "BMI goal to weight conversion tool" to set the equivalent weight goal.  "A healthy BMI goal of X translates to a weight of Y for you given your personal conversion factors (age, sex, athletic body type, etc.)"

Thank you for creating a great product that really motivates me to be healthier! 

6 Comments
JohnnyRow
Cosmic Hurdler

Perhaps you don't understand BMI, or are thinking of body fat %.  The only thing that affects BMI is your height.

Unless your height is changing, the only thing that affects your BMI is your weight, not "(age, sex, athletic body type, etc.)"

Phade
Base Runner

From what I have read, a "healthy" BMI is adjusted for age, sex, and other factors such as muscle vs fat.  My goal is to be "healthy".  Some factors that measure "healthy" are weight, body fat, heart rate, cardio fitness, activity frequency, sleep, blood pressure, and their expected value ranges given who I am.  Most of these are currently directly tracked.  I would like to set a goal "healthy" score and then be given factors that should improve in order to reach that goal. BMI seemed to be a good metric, hence my desire to set it as a goal other than "weight".  

What are other "holistic" metric goals other than weight that I should look into, track, and graph?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @Phade.

Being able to set a goal of BMI instead of weight itself could be useful for users that prefer that measurement. Having different options for all sorts of preferences can definitely be well received by users.

Let's see what other users have to say about it.

Phade
Base Runner

Hey @LanuzaFitbit,

Thank you for your reply!

I thought of one other option for the goal BMI calculator: the desired calculation method.  I am sure there are various organizations that have different methods of generating a "healthy" score goal.  It could be the Health Institute of Wherever uses calculation method "A" while the European National Whatever uses calculation method "B" and the Japanese Ministry of So-n-so uses calculation method "C".  You could show the various goals as determined by each organization and then allow the user to choose which target score method to use.  This would give the user the greatest education and flexibility in deciding their "healthy" score goal.  Partnering directly with each organization could also benefit both the the organization and Fitbit. 

Thank you again for your consideration!

Mjkelly
First Steps

As BMI=weight(kg)/height squared(m) it doesn’t sound like it is the goal Phade is seeking. However I agree it is a useful option to set a BMI goal and thus generate a target weight. I vote yes. 

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Phade  and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience :). To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.