Set Warm-up and Cool Down Time for Interval Training

I am currently using my Charge 2 in Interval Training to complete a "Couch to 5K" program.  And LOVE the Interval training feature!!  I was able to setup the intervals between walk/jog, but it would also be nice to have the ability to set a time for warm up and cool down within the Interval Training.  Currently I am having to use "Workout" for my walk warm up, switch to "Interval" for my program, then switch back to "Workout" for my walk cool down.  It would be so much easier to be able to use only the "Interval" training to complete each "Couch to 5K" session.

24 Comments
wormentude
Jogger

I agree! I start and finish my interval sessions with a 10min jog and it would be great to have the option to add this in the interval set up on the Charge 2. It's not so easy to start 3 different sessions each time I run.

adriennrusz
First Steps

I agree, just wanted to submit this suggestion when I found your post! I think this would be something really easy to add with a software update and it's so obvious that it is needed!

intljoe
First Steps

i agree, a warm up/cool down should be easy to add via a software update. It would make the feature much more useful. 

dorkelle
Jogger

On the interval timer on Charge 2, add the ability to include a warm up before the intervals and a cool down after. I use the connected GPS feature, and it would be nice for that to count as part of the workout!

Riftpoint
Recovery Runner

It would be really great (and easy to add I would think) if there were an exercise for running fartleks or other similar running variations.  The easiest thing would be to add "Warm Up" and "Cool Down" to the interval training so that you could do a 15-20min warm up, then have X number of "Move/Rest" repeats, and then do a 15-20min cool down.  This way you wouldn't have to start a run then, start an interval, then start a run...

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

JeninBelgium
Jogger

Hi 

I have recently started interval training but always need a warm up and cool down period- I would love if I could add these into the interval training program so that my w-u/c-d would be both reminded to me and tracked. Thanks!

raspberryberet
First Steps

I would like a drink water reminder added to the FitBit notifications. It should be super easy to do.

Farquhar1979
First Steps

Could Fitbit add a warm up timer to the beginning of the interval trainer on the exercise app, and a cool down timer at the end too?

If the settings for it could be adjusted on the watch rather than having to sync to the phone, that would be useful too. 

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

I just started doing interval training and agree, agree, agree that we need this feature.  It is much too cumbersome to start/stop the warm up, start/stop the interval training, then start/stop the cool down.  The GPS connection is not instantaneous, so this change would make it one smooth operation.  If I just warm up on my own, then cool off on my own, those activities are not auto recognized.  I get my interval exercise time, but not the warm up/cool down. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
Riftpoint
Recovery Runner

Well that kinda stinks... But I do appreciate the official response.

The Microsoft Band 2 had these features, it was awesome. You could even build your own workout and upload it to the band. Right now the offerings that Fitbit has for running training are pretty anemic.

Elthomas7
First Steps

It would be useful to have the following features for run/walking interval training (I use a Fitbit charge 3).

GPS tracking for interval training.

Set warm up and cool down period. 

keep internal training setup the same. 

Can then track whole run distance and time not just the middle bit. 

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Elthomas7, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Nordicnut
Jogger

Please add this feature to the interval app.  I’m very disappointed the ionic doesn’t have this.  Every running watch I’ve owned has had a warm up and cool down component when programming an interval workout.  Why would anyone ever do an interval workout without warming up first?  Without this feature, the interval app is essentially worthless.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Nordicnut, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi, I have recently started some interval running. I currently use the interval workout feature where you can set the work and rest periods. A friend of mine has another brand of watch which details the pace over the worked splits in the run. They can also program a timed warm up and cool down into the same exercise. Currently I just use the run feature to warm up and cool down and then log the intervals separate. The downside of the interval workout is, even though it can track via GPS it only gives an average pace which takes into account the walking or rest periods. Could you add a running interval feature where we could program a 10min warm up followed by 1min work 1 min rest repeat x20 then 10 min cool down. Then in then analysis section it show the pace over the minute splits rather than the calories burned?

Thanks Fitbit 😊

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on xxx. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Hughcules
First Steps

Be able to add times for warm up before an exercise like Interval Timer and a cool down time after.  

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hughcules, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of having a warm up before an exercise like Interval Timer, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

However, this idea is still open to votes, so the team can continue to track popularity and demand over time.

bakopoulo
First Steps

Hello!

For improving VO2max and running pace, intervals are a key workout to do. So, for run, please add in the timer options, an interval mode with warm-up and cool-down option. If it's not possible to do in run sport mode, then please add warm-up and cool-down timer in the "interval workout" mode.

Thanks!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @bakopoulo. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about setting warm-up and cool-down time for Interval Training. This feature was already requested, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Jbkits
First Steps
There should be an option to have more than one interval setting within the exercise tab. For example: one interval might be for a warm up and be set to “Move: 30 sec Rest: 10 sec” and then another set for the actual workout at “Move: 45 sec Rest: 10 sec”.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jbkits, thanks for explaining why you would like to have more than one interval setting within the exercise tab. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.