Set goal pace and alerts if you're too slow or fast

It would be nice if the fitbits had a the ability to track your running pace and notify you if you are going to slow or fast according your goal pace while running 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

52 Comments
Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
cernoiu.theo
Recovery Runner

Hi,

A thing I found useful while running/training (I was using another app, LONG TIME AGO) was that I could set a desired pace and my phone would buzz every time I would be under that pace.

I would really like this feature to be picked up!
Also, garmin has something similar (Garmin Virtual Pacer) where you're shown a lot of useful information

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for sharing your suggestion @cernoiu.theo! I merged your idea into this suggestion. Please do not forget to give kudos, just click on the thumbs up button.

Mister-emiel
Jogger

Come on fitbit. WHERE ARE THE PACE ALERTS. All other fitness watches have pace allerts in their running apps. It is an invaluable tool when training for any distance run.

Qdsouza
First Steps

Defintely want to see this feature

RaeRae811
Jogger

I am on the newer side to running and I am currently working on pacing myself because I either run too fast and get winded or run too slow that I'm unable to make personal bests. One of the biggest keys to running successful is pace.

While you have a display for pace, this doesn't help unless I am looking at my device the entire time. I know the Samsung Fitness Tracker has a feature that makes their watch vibrate if you go faster/slower than the pace the user sets. I think this would be extremely beneficial for Fitbit. When the runner is going to fast/slow the device will vibrate and display a message letting them know if they're going to fast/slow. Also, for the watches that have audio capabilities, the runner should be able to have the device tell them over audio "slow down," "speed up," and "on pace."

johneocallaghan
First Steps

Had my Ionic for a few weeks now.  I enjoyed seeing my runs (afterwards), and seeing my splits, average pace per km etc.

Due to my "raving" about how much more motivated I was, my wife wanted a fitness tracker, but it had to be smaller than the ionic (too big for her), so I bought her the Garmin Vivosport.  After a couple of runs my wife started going on about her running cadence and other metrics I could not find available to me in my ionic.  The one thing that she mentioned that I was most excited about was the pace setting tool.

How disappointed am I!  The Ionic does not have the same pace stetting functionality (yes, there are workarounds, 3rd party apps), but nothing comes close to the very simple pace setting functionality available to my wife on a much cheaper device.

I tried one.  The virtual pacesetter. Great!  Until I realised it does not record my run!!!!!  Not in the same way the basic Fitbit running app does!

Come on Fitbit developers, this can not be such a difficult thing to implement!  Why are you not even acknowledging this!  Where is your development roadmap, so we can see what you are planning.

notarobot
First Steps

I'd like to see my Fitbit able to know my goal pace, track my current pace in real time and then tell me when I go above or below my goal pace. I noticed Garmin has this feature, and apple watch even displays it in a commercial

Thank you for your help!

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @notarobot, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, whilst this is unlikely to be released on Fitbit Ionic, this has been noted by our Product teams and discussed for future products. I have updated the label and title accordingly. Thanks for sharing this idea and please continue to vote on it if it's of interest.

Mikegillett
Runner

@LizFitbit thank you for the update!

At the Holidays I switched to the Garmin Fenix 5.  The pace alerts have been amazing, and have really aided in my training. 

I am sorry that I bought the Ionic for what I saw as potential and my expectations and not what the productactually was.

I don’t know that I’ll ever go back to Fitbit after this... not a lot of trust.  

But you gave a direct answer and not a “beat-around-the-bush” answer. I greatly appreciate that.

Homar
First Steps

Hi. the ionic is the most expensive fitbit, i purchase it a year ago instead of Garmin because all the promo bell and whistles on you tube and fitbit web page as to be the most complete fitness tracker...

but, it lacks of a basic tools for runners
1. laps on distance or timer, where you can set different laps on time or miles at a desire pace.
example:  2 min easy run 30 secs fast run for 20 minutes then 5 minutes cool down
example 2: 1 mile easy run, 1/4 mile fast , etc... 

example 3, to run 1/4 mile fast, then rest 1 minute, for x given repetitions 
2.  pace keeper. to set the fitbit to run at a determine time length or mile length at a desire pace. 
example: run 30 minutes at 9min/mile, the fitbit will alert if user is running out of desire pace for mor than 20 secs
example 2: run 10 miles at 12min/mile
3. Fitbit Ionic should at least be capable of have an app that user can customize to follow this program:
https://blog.fitbit.com/an-easy-does-it-training-plan-for-first-time-marathoners/

now fitbit representative said pacer alert or lap alert will never be available for the ionic, the most expensive fitbit!!!
all my friends are laughing on me for purchasing a fitbit and not a Garmin 

cernoiu.theo
Recovery Runner

How can this not be planned for the ionic?

Also, from my point of view this looks more like a software update so why wouldn't it be doable? 🙂

I really think the ionic was one of the biggest mistakes I made. I'm switching to garmin

Bigdave66
Jogger

I enjoy swimming and running but often find myself going too fast. What would help if the fitbit could do a little pulse (vibration) to help time footfalls when running or strokes when swimming. i.e a pulse every second.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Bigdave66! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your idea. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot a users would like to have this option on their trackers.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

bcer
Jogger

Dear Moderator, please make this suggestion of "Pace alerts" a high priority. As others have noted, the Fitbit hardware (I use the Versa) already records the necessary data, so it's just a matter of including cadence/steps per minute among the customizable stats in their Exercise app. I see there's now a compatible app, Cadence Coach, which does what I'm looking for, but I can't run both apps simultaneously. I would like to see this functionality included in the Fitbit Exercise app. I know cadence is included in competitors' watches (e.g., Garmin, Samsung).

I only became aware of the importance of this real-time stat after I went to a physio because of knee pain. After years of running, I discovered I've been overstriding, so I need to reduce my stride length and increase my steps-per-minute. Cadence has become my most important real-time stat, so I can correct my strides and prevent further pain. A vibration alert would be a real help. Please include this feature in a firmware update soon. Thanks.

Anishkhosla
First Steps

Please start Pace alert as early as possible, otherwise I have to switch to Garmin forerunner. One of my facebook friend suggested on Running Group. 

Mister-emiel
Jogger
I would not bother with fitbit and pace alerts. They have no idea when it comes to real runners and their training. Get a Garmin Instinct ( or any other Garmin). You will not regret it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Toddy2705
Jogger
During exercise I would like to set a goal for my pace and have my smartwatch notify me when I am outside of the range I have set to coach and improve my cadence during my run and or any other exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Toddy2705, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to set a goal pace on Fitbit activities. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

LizzieW-S
First Steps

Hi Fitbit, I know this thread is somewhat old now, but this is an issue that I am interested in. I have been a loyal Fitbit customer for 5+ years at least and have finally decided that when my versa 3 bites the dust my next purchase will be a Garmin. One of the main sway factor is the lack of pace alerts on Fitbit.

Lizzy6397
Stepping Up
In exercises in the sense, add pace alert to the run settings.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lizzy6397, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding pace alerts. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums. 

tigsher
First Steps

Hello Fitbit, tracking training is a given (great job), but on race day (marathon) we need a way to pace ourselves with setting a max and min for speed; this would help with having a Pace Alert; so many people for many years have been asking for this, and while you make a great tracker; the final mile to some is the race; and that also means a Pace Alert. Let's do it.

CarlyCaraway
Jogger

While pace alerts are not currently possible or planned, you might want to vote for this feature request.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Feedback/Pace-alerts/idi-p/2166448

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.