Sharing GPS map to social media

Sharing a walk to social media (say Facebook) doesn't work correctly. It invites you to take a photo that then gets tagged along with the walk data (not the map feature) Which is then shared. Surely this is wrong, the map picture with the outlined route that you have walked with the detail of that walk should be shared, not a picture that may have been taken after that has no relevance to the walk data.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, labels and format.

90 Comments
terrorent
First Steps

I would like nothing more after a long walk than to post the map on Facebook!

Drekko
Base Runner

112 votes enough for fitbit to put this in ?

keith52
First Steps
I now screenshot my map and post it that way

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

i've owned a Surge since 2.5 years back and then upgraded to the Ionic a few months back. I still don't understand why this is such a difficult feature to build. Every other platform has had the ability to share a workout using Facebook's Fitness Graph API that correctly represents the GPS data in an optimised fashion on Facebook's various apps. For those past 2 years plus, I've had to download the TCX file from FitBit's dashboard and import it into an Endomondo workout, because you know, they actually bothered to implement it more than 3+ years ago.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I simply take a screen shot of the map and use this as the picture when sharing. It is easy-peasy

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
Drekko
Base Runner

@Robm100 wrote:

Sharing a walk to social media (say Facebook) doesn't work correctly. It invites you to take a photo that then gets tagged along with the walk data (not the map feature) Which is then shared. Surely this is wrong, the map picture with the outlined route that you have walked with the detail of that walk should be shared, not a picture that may have been taken after that has no relevance to the walk data.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, labels and format.

Hi

Well looking at the demand for this feature. I think you should change yours plans to add it 🙂

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I share a map to Fitbit a lot, simply use the screenshot as the picture.

I understand that for privacy issues, Fitbit may not want to be responsible for anything that should happen when tueunknown prson knows where a Fitbit user runs.

danielcampbell
First Steps

In the community feed you should be able to share your run, walk or hike as an interactive map, like you see in your activity log.

When you share you activity with someone outside of fitbit you should get a link to the interactive map rather than just a list of stats

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @danielcampbell , thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

asiayeah
Pace Setter

This is a known limitation of Fitbit app (at least for Android) that sharing the map route isn't supported. I would think it's a licensing issue with Google Map. Can we fix this? 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @asiayeah, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Mouch
Jogger

Exercise maps after walks and hikes are a bit dry. It would make it much more interactive when sharing if it was possible to add photos that would be placed on the map along the followed path. Somewhat like relive does

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mouch, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see share GPS map to social media. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the Fitbit app. You can find more details here: How do I share my stats and accomplishments from the Fitbit app? (You will find it under the option "Exercise")

@Robm100, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.