Show Kilojoules burned on the Fitbit devices

Kilojoules can be displayed on my app, but not my Fitbit. 

it would be nice to have it on the Fitbit itself. 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and updated label

35 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sydgreco, and thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about enabling Kilojoules to be displayed on the Fitbit watch! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If your suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, try visiting our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

MyBMI
Recovery Runner

The dashboard is very good but whilst it includes an option to change units to metric i.e. length, weight and water there is no option to change calories to kilojoules that is essential for those in non-imperial countries like Australia, France etc. The option is on the App (Android) and this is great but needs to be also on the dashboard to make it useful. Can someone with power turn this into a reality please.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MyBMI! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

lalabrucey
Base Runner
As well as being able to display kj for energy units in the app, please can we have this on the physical watch as well?!
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @lalabrucey, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to display kilojoules instead of calories on Fitbit devices. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Cilvaa
First Steps

I'm Australian and we used kilojoules. I too would prefer to see KJ on my device instead of cal.

jawsbigfish
Jogger

This is not a great suggestion? It is a necessity! This should have been there from day 1. Most of the world uses metric. It is quite unbelievable that the charge 4 and 3 do not have the ability to change from calories to kilojoules on the device itself while being able to do so in the app. This should be a given. Period!

Stinhambo
First Steps

If you've made the effort to do it for the app then why not the website or the watch? Quite baffling really.

SmacS
First Steps

Also in Australia and disappointed to see the watch can't track in KJ. Makes it trickier to keep a track of everything if you don't have your phone with you all the time.

JaffaCakes
First Steps

My $500 AUD Fitbit Sense can accurately track many aspects of my health, however, it can't multiply by 4.184? Seems a little wack.

Stinhambo
First Steps

I really like my Fitbit Ionic but not having kilojoules on the watch face, Windows 10 app or website is annoying.

How much development time could this seriously take? 

Slushy
Base Runner
The Inspire 2 displays Calories Burned but should be able to display Kilojoules Burned if preferred.
Slushy
Base Runner

I discovered that my Fitbit Inspire 2 has this same problem. Being able to display in metric units is so fundamental I was really surprised to see that this hasn't been implemented already.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Slushy. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to see Kilojoules burned on your Inspire 2 with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Delizea
First Steps

You wouldn't think something as basic as a consistent unit of measurement would need to be voted on, it's hardly what I would call a feature. Agree with above, shocking that new fitbit sense can't manage to multiply by 4.184.

Slushy
Base Runner

@Delizeado you think we would have to vote for pounds, if the only way to record weight was in kg? 😉

NickC80
First Steps

Please add the option to display Kilojoules on the Charge 3 watch, as metric countries don’t use calories on food packaging, and it is annoying not having this option.

Softroader
First Steps

I would be really grateful if you guys can switch the units on the Charge 4 watch to kj rather than calories. In NZ we use both and I'm one of the people who prefer kj.

As a software developer I know this one is a really trivial modification. So this is an easy win for you guys, and I expect this would make many millions of people much happier. 

AlexOz
First Steps

This thread reminds my why I was so frustrated with Fitbit when I left it a few years back. Somewhat regrettably now, I've returned to find this is STILL an issue! Dear Fitbit - if you are marketing your product globally, it needs to be fit-for-purpose globally. Surprised that you haven't realised nearly the entire world uses metric kilojoules - with UK & USA being pretty much the only remaining stalwarts. (5 minutes spent googling will show this to be true). I appreciate you updated your app to accommodate kilojoules (thank you) - but for the love of all things good - why did you not carry it across to the watch interfaces? Particularly when choices of other units of measurement do this?

Approaching this logically, I can only surmise it's either laziness or sheer arrogance that is preventing this 'requested feature' from being implemented...but I have faith in humanity and hope this isn't the case. (It would show a lot of respect for your paying customers if you could simply explain why this hasn't been implemented to date - rather than replying with your stock standard "we've noted this as a requested feature... blah blah blah.")

Prove to me, and many others (including the 100's that made comments on this in threads that have now been deleted/removed) that you sincerely do care about the customer experience and implement this requested change as soon as practicable. Go on, I dare you.

lalabrucey
Base Runner

5 years and counting, also with no updates from fitbit. These votes are spread across multiple similar posts too which may give the wrong impression that it's not a big deal.... It really is a big deal. Moderator, can you please provide some insight into why this is falling on deaf ears? It's a simple calculation. If there are custom clock faces doing this it shows it can be done, in fact it's a simple multiplier. Please can we have an update!

General.Spooty
Stepping Up

I'm finding it extremely frustrating that the company has not taken up this *extremely* simple request after several years to perform the multiplication required. A half-hearted update was deployed this year which made a token amount of difference and did not address the full set of requirements. I've changed the UoM settings as described and can see kilojoules in 1 place but I still get Calories in the Android app and on the Charge 4 device itself.

It's now Christmas Eve 2020 - can we please have this basic functionality in the next release?

CatrionaKelly
Jogger

I have just bought the Fitbit Sense, one reason being that I thought that it displayed kilojoules on the device itself. I wholeheartedly agree with the other comments. It's almost 2021, we should be able to see all displays in metric.

Couldn't see how to vote with a thumbs up for the comments above, but they have my thumbs up.

mm1000
Recovery Runner

It would definitely help to have Kilojoules on both the Charge 3 and the website foodlists (Australian list on fitbit.com is in calories, not used here since 1971 or so). Surely a simple fix, just x or / by 4.184, but I want to be able to see at a glance how I'm going. THat's why I bought the device!

greginmelb
First Steps

I've just joined the Fitbit community and am staggered to see that the dashboard only understands Calories. Could we please have Kilojoules  somewhat urgently?  

BrentonFerdi
First Steps

I tried to change my Versa 3 to display kilojoules instead of calories. How nice it would be if somewhere in the menu one could select Use Metric Units. Unfortunately, Calories are meaningless to me.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.