Show how many possible active hours have passed for hourly goal

I've noticed that the way my Fitbit Charge 2 displays my "Hourly Activity" metric can influence how much I try throughout the day to reach that goal. Let me try to explain.

My hourly activity starts at 9 am and ends at 5 pm. Between 9 am and 10 am, I get 250 steps, so my Fitbit displays 1/8 hours. I may get through two or three  hours, and the tracker will show 2/8 or 3/8. But lets say in hour three I miss the 250 steps. At this point, I feel a bit discouraged to try for the rest of my steps because there's still such a huge portion of the day remaining. 

Instead of showing the TOTAL hours of the day, I suggest you change the bottom number of the fraction to reflect how many possible active hours have passed. For example: 9 am to 10 am, I hit my goal, and the Fitbit would display 1/1. Second hour, I hit my goal and the tracker would display 2/2. Third hour I miss my goal, tracker displays 2/3. Fourth hour I miss my goal, tracker displays 2/4. Fifth hour I hit my goal, tracker displays 3/5.

By displaying the hours this way, I feel like it would encourage me to continue for the goal for longer throughout the day. There's a big difference between feeling like you're at 80-100% throughout most of the day instead of starting at 0% or 20% and building up throughout the day. 

Hopefully this makes sense!

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

5 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to share this idea with us @bsanto!

Very interesting way to look at things. I'm sure some users would appreciate the hourly goal showing like that. 

Let's see what they have to say about this suggestion.

bsanto
First Steps

Thank you for helping me clarify my subject! I would love to see something like this implemented.

hannahbc
First Steps

I like this suggestion! I would add that it would be nice if we could choose (in Settings) non-consecutive hours of the day count toward our activity goal. I'm an active mom with young kids, and I'd prefer to set my activity goal for 7am-1pm, 3-6pm. That would mean I'm still staying active for the same number of hours/day but allowing me to have a couple of sedentary hours in there while my kids nap, which is when I get work done on my computer. With these changes, I would go back to using the activity feature of my Fitbit!

cygnusjen
Keeping Pace

I agree about the custom hours - I really struggle during work hours to hit 250 steps every hour, as my job demands long periods of sitting.  It seems I'm always missing an hour in the middle of the morning or afternoon that blows my goal for the whole day.  I wish I could set the hours for reminders for all of my awake hours, so I can move if I am able, but then have a different goal for actually moving - like 10 hours within that awake time to hit it.  That would be nice.  I almost never achieve my goal, and it's aggravating to miss it by 1 or 2 hours every day - literally I miss it all but a few times a month because of the unfortunate timing of my sedentary periods.  Sometimes I feel I'd be better off without the feature all together. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.