Show swim laps, times and lengths on Charge 5

Self-explanatory, but virtually all swimmers use lap counts and times to improve their performance, especially DURING swim. Add ability to set lap count as a Goal (not just time) in the tracker. Please add this to all devices. We're thinking of getting Fitbits for our children as well, but without this feature, we will look elsewhere.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

127 Comments
Azaharfran
Jogger

The Charge 5 definitely does track swimming, but as previously mentioned, the tracking is always wrong.  Yesterday I swam 12 lengths x 25m, which should be 300m, but it recorded 500m and 20 laps

Olly3000
First Steps

Right, GOODBYE Fitbit. I've been loyal for many years but this ongoing saga is just too rubbish. Overpriced tech, now needs a subscription to get the most of the app.
Just bought a £30 second hand Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro and it's better than every Fitbit I've ever had in every way. Seamless sync with Samsung Health app and no subscription.

starskyandhutch
Recovery Runner

Just downloaded all of my data off fitbit (https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export) dating back to 2015 and "rhymes with Charmin" has a tool to import it in. New watch arrives Sunday. Sad to go but excited for some new tech. This was just the straw that broke the camels back along with the screen of my charge 5 mysteriously no longer turning on.

Adios google, you had your chance.

Lorslee
Recovery Runner
Too bad Fitbit isn't paying attention to all of the swimmers who are leaving by droves....If they listened to us we would have never looked for another product.
Thurza
First Steps
Thanks for posting this information. I fully agree with you and will look
into getting the Samsung one you mentioned.
FifiMS
Recovery Runner
Why does the Charge 5 not show lengths swum on the screen.
I can check the time on the multiple poolside clocks but can't see how many lengths I've swum without getting out the pool, going to my locker and checking my app. Pretty useless don't you think?
Please provide an update that shows pool length on the screen face.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @FifiMS, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about showing lengths when tracking swimming on the Charge 5 with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

FifiMS
Recovery Runner

Thank you although I doubt it will make any difference as it seems Fitbit have had many disgruntled comments about this and so far nothing has changed. 

Will be looking for a new device that works as a swimmer asap. 

Ktouche
First Steps

OMG! I literally bought the Charge 5 yesterday because I was told it would work for swimming. Yes - the app counted my laps based on distance but that isn't helpful when I want to know what lap I am on while in the pool. Can I return it?

FifiMS
Recovery Runner

Super disappointing isn't it? And it doesn't record any heart rate data while you're swimming so also not ideal. You can't even read any messages as you have to stop recording lengths then start over which is tricky to do as it doesn't respond well when your hands are wet. 

AnotherKay
Jogger

I stick with my Flex 2 because it gives me pool length and number of laps, calculating distance as long as I remember to enter pool length. Just bought a Charge 5 as gift for someone else who needs the heart rate monitoring. He's had previous Fitbit Charge models and always wished for the swim features of the Flex2, but not at expense of heart rate stuff.

Sadly, Fitbit has never figured out that people with heart conditions also swim, and since many are older and have conditions like arthritis, those with access to a pool often choose swimming as our most frequent form or exercise.

OK, Google.  Serve Boomers, too. We can still vote with our feet.

eggbox
First Steps

I would also like to see this feature on the Charge 5. Seems like there would be more than enough room on the screen to show this data along with the time. 

FifiMS
Recovery Runner

@eggbox 

Ooo will have to see if there's any flex 2s knocking about on eBay or something. Why they would make a new product with downgraded features is beyond me. 

Jrtkdo
Jogger

Fitbit clearly do not listen... 

Another customer lost. Charge 5 now in the bin. 

Nodat
Recovery Runner

I returned the fitbit versa 4, charge 5 and Sense 2 because they did not track laps while swimming live in the pool. Great job Fitbit, you just gave your customers a good reason to buy from Garmin or Samsung.

k3v1n11
Jogger

So it's summer 2023, and this still hasn't been sorted?

How crazy is that!? I literally bought the fitbit charge 5 in order to keep track of pool swimming, as I'm useless at keeping track in my head of the laps I've done, what is the point if you can only track it once you get out of the pool. Useless, I think I might send it back!

FifiMS
Recovery Runner

@k3v1n11

Its bonkers isn't it? And it doesn't record your heart rate while you're in the water which is when I need it to record it the most. 

Many a time I'd like to check the amounts while I'm in the pool but it's not possible. 

Lorslee
Recovery Runner
please try a different device to see what you are missing....
Nodat
Recovery Runner
I've tried the fitbit charge 5, the fitbit versa 4 and the Fitbit Sense 2,
none of these new trackers track laps IN the pool. Back to Samsung.
Lorslee
Recovery Runner
I have used Fit products since they started and never have they tracked swim laps correctly. I hated to leave, but now using an Apple watch.
k3v1n11
Jogger

@FifiMS it really is, I've used it a couple of times for running too and it's fairly rubbish for that for the same reasons.

@Lorslee what did you switch to?

Lorslee
Recovery Runner
Apple Watch.  Love it and it is so accurate and even tells you how many laps of each stroke!
sls10
First Steps

I am totally disappointed that my Fitbit no longer keeps track of lap count.  That is the main reason I use Fitbits in the first place.  I REALLY hope that this feature is added back to the trackers or I doubt swimmers will continue to purchase them.

Lorslee
Recovery Runner
Did Fitbit discontinue the lap counter? Maybe they are trying to fix it. I left that product 9 months ago and am totally happy with my new “toy” that counts how many laps of each stroke you do.

Sent from my iPhone
FifiMS
Recovery Runner

Noticed something else that's pretty pants with the charge 5 today. 

Whilst swimming and (very poorly) tracking my lengths it also counts this distance as steps. 

So not only does it give you a false swim reading it also then gives you an inaccurate step count for the day. 

I swam for dead on 60 minutes today but it only logged 53 minutes giving me a false lap count. 

Getting more and more disappointed by this device by the minute. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.