Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
man_from_earth
First Steps

@fmart1 i see. Yes Wh***ings I also looked at. It seems promising but let me know if you have any experience with it. 

It does seem, that I will sell my Blaze, because :

- I have made many hundreds of steps before I even got out of bed.  

- It counts steps when I scratch my head.

- It says I only burn 360 calories when I ride my fixed gear bike (48x17 gear ratio) on a 22 mile ride. During which my heart rate barely goes past 120bpm according to my fitbit Blaze. 🙄 at the same time, I burn 700 cal by sleeping? Please!

Sort this nonsense out fitbit because there's no need having a fitness tracker that doesn't know what it should be doing. Simple!

aniia
First Steps

It's crazy that smart alarm is so popular and charge 3 doesn't have this function. There are posts from 2013 asking for it! It's so simple - if fitbit recognizes sleep stages, it should be able to find the perfect moment for waking up. Free apps can do it. When can we expect this upgrade?

Darth_Dmitry
Jogger

So, still "under consideration"?

Should I return my new FitBit since there is no visible intention from the company to satisfy one of the most requested feature???

fmart1
Runner

@Darth_Dmitry I would, if I was still on time. I will be selling mine soon if I'm satisfied once I set up the new one I've ordered from another brand. 

syandulai
Jogger

How has this not been implemented yet?! Do we know what the hold-up is?!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hmm. My wife will buy some other watch because of this lacking feature.

Since I believe this is not a technical issue, probably there is some patent that has to be licensed, and the license is expensive. Just guessing. 

J-flex
Distance Runner

This has been under consideration since 2013. At what point will Fitbit make a decision?

Skimm5
First Steps

I just purchased the Charge 3 and love all of the information it gives you. I agree with everyone else and would really appreciate an alarm app that wakes the user up during light sleep or transitioning stages near the set alarm time to avoid waking up during deep sleep and feeling groggy. 

mbg1124
First Steps

Quantity isn't always what's important, it's quality.  Recent studies have shown that people wake up feeling more refreshed when they wake up in between REM cycles versus in the midst of one.  There are sleep calculators out there that allow you to input when you have to wake up, and then it will suggest multiple bed times so that way, you wake up feeling refreshed getting the best quality of sleep.  We all know the fit bit measures your sleep cycles.  We also know that we can manually set an alarm on your fit bit to go off at a certain time as well as set how many hours of sleep you aim to get each night.  However, it'd be great to have the best of both worlds.  I'd love to propose a way for the fit bit to measure your sleep, and then automatically have its alarm go off when it knows you are in between REM cycles based on the information it gathers.

Rooger
Stepping Up

this has been "under consideration" for 6 years, really? phones have this app and there are watches that do it. Either incorporate this or reject it. Under consideration for this long is a mockery of a great idea and even better product.

Sinish
Jogger
I've been slowly transitioning to WearOS and Sleep as Android. Sleep as
Android uses WearOS based watch to monitor your sleep and has "smart
wakeup" feature (as well as heart, excercises, activity monitoring etc. I
think even better than Fitbit).

Sleep as Android can even track your sleep from your phone on the
nightstand not using wearable but using sonar technology and wake u up in
the light sleep phase.

So technically you can still use Fitbit to track sleep in better detail but
u can use Sleep as Android to also track it for purposes of waking u up
gently at least to try it out before switching to WearOS.

The only downside is that you have to manually start sleep tracking in
Sleep as Android. For me it's not and issue as I'm on my phone anyway
before sleep.

Also WearOS watches have little over 24 hr battery life, but recharge very
quickly. I charge mine before bed for 30 mins and when I get up (it looses
about 25 % tracking sleep), get ready, shower, etc so it never runs out.

I'm not waiting for Fitbit to make this happen. Im making it work for
myself and if that means without Fitbit, so be it.
MatteoJ
Jogger

I just got my new Inspire HR today,  which I had ASSUMED (since I am dumb, I guess) that it would have some sort of Smart Alarm function. I mean, it has the alarm, it tracks your sleep, so it had to have it, right?

It turns out it does not.

The new fitbit is going back to factory, and the money is going to some other product / brand since that was the main function I needed it for!

fmart1
Runner

@Rooger I sooo agree! It's like they are just playing with us.

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion has been released with the new Versa 2, and wider Versa and Ionic family. It is planned to roll out to trackers during 2020. Smart wake uses machine learning to wake you during an optimal time of your sleep cycle while in light or REM sleep, based on a pre-selected 30-minute interval, so you wake up feeling more refreshed.

@MikeHalsey, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

Woo Hoo!

pamrxdoc
Recovery Runner
That is amazing! Thank you so much!

pamrxdoc

Sent from my iPhone
HelloClairice
Jogger

Awesome! I've been waiting to upgrade my Fitbit based on this feature!

spryem
First Steps

YES!!!!!!!!!

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator
Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

Can't wait! I'm using a Versa. I wonder when that will be happening?

Will it rely on having the phone on?

@LizFitbit 

VolkanGer
First Steps

7 hours ago? Really? I got back to look for a smart alarm feature after Jawbone is bankrupt and was thinking if Fitbit won't do it due to patent issues... Still, it would be good if we get some back-compatibility for older devices.

baranek
First Steps

Wow, it's good news.

I wonder if it would be possible for the Inspire Family. @LizFitbit ?

d-a-v-e
Recovery Runner

@LizFitbit thanks for the update at last! Sad it won't be coming to the Charge 3 (I assume) but glad this feature request has been filled.

Elliekennard
Tempo Runner

@VolkanGer and @d-a-v-e 

@LizFitbit 

I took the end of this paragraph to mean that our existing recent devices will also get this feature? Was I wrong?

"We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion will be released on the new Versa 2, and coming soon to all Fitbit smartwatches (Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa family of smartwatches)"

My Versa is just 4 months old!

fmart1
Runner

@LizFitbit That is awesome.  Finally! If I understand well, will it be available to Versa 1 users as well? Please, can you confirm this?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.