Smart Alarms that Wake You More Naturally (eg. in Light Sleep Stage)

I just got my Fitbit flex and I think it's fantastic.  If it monitors your sleep though it will have a good idea of when you're in deep (REM) sleep and when you're in lighter sleep.  You cycle between these two during the night on a pretty reliable pattern, and they're easy to tell apart as you don't move around while you're in REM sleep.  At least not as I understand things.

Could an update for the Fitbit modify the alarm feature please to wake you up as close as possible to your chosen time, but NOT during REM sleep?

This will allow you to wake more naturally, feeling refreshed, rather than how unpleasant it is when your alarm goes off in REM sleep.

Thanks, please all vote for this :smileyhappy:

Moderator edit: labels.

1,221 Comments
Opivali
Jogger
To be honest they may think that the vibration feature is enough. I
personally do not think it is. Given that we have the ability to program
applications to control lights, windows, curtains, shades, thermostats,
speakers, coffee pots, etc. We can have a much more natural way to wake up.

Michael D. Kester (U.S.N. Ret.)
aubweb
First Steps

It would be awesome on the Charge HR ! 

please...

Sjoera
Recovery Runner

I had hoped this would have been implemented by now. I'm doubting between buying the Fitbit Charge HR or waiting for the new Jawbone UP3. The UP3 has a lot of features that Fitbit has still not provided, including smart alarms and idle alerts. It doesn't seem so hard to do if the competition can do it too...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I currently use the app Sleep Cycle to help setup my wake time alarm.  It's fantastic, but it involves setting my iPhone the edge of my bed.  With the fitbit's ability to track my sleep, it would be ideal if I could set my alarms up like I do in the SleepCycle app and then when within 30 minutes of my established alarm, wake me up if my sleep cycle says I'm in a state most awake.

Thanks!

lyzgrace
First Steps

I was all ready to purchase the Charge and haven't yet because I found out that it didn't have this feature. Right now I use the Sleep Cycle app and love it except for the fact I need to place my phone in precarious positions on the bed and it frequently falls off. FitBit already has an alarm and tracks the sleep cycle - how hard would it be to implement this? Why has it been "Under Consideration" for over a year? Is this something I should wait on to purchase, or would it just be a software update? Or is the feature going to be scrapped that I shouldn't purchase at all? Updates please, FitBit team!!!

HenryZ998
Jogger
A smart alarm based on your sleep pattern, waking you up in light stages of sleep. Option to make your phone sound a normal alarm along with vibrations. You set up latest wake up time and alarm wakes you up feeling refreshed. Thanks!
JJBowie
Jogger

can the Charge HR calculate when is the best time to wake you, rather than at a set time? i understand the Jawbone UP24 does this. also please redesign the compressed looking sleep activity chart - seriously how are you meant to read it!?

JJBowie
Jogger

the Charge HR is a fabulous bit of kit, but does need some updates such as this - please implement this FitBit! it's the lack of these features that are making me look elsewhere (Jawbone UP3).

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have the fitbit Charge HR which I've been using for a few weeks now and I do love a lot about it.  I'd love to be able to have sleep cycle alarms, PLUS integration with HealthKit.

Starting today, I have a choice.  given that I can still return my fitbit for 100% money back for another month... I have time to evaluate the newest offering by withings...

http://www.withings.com/us/withings-activite-pop.html

the tracker does NOT track HeartRate, true.  but IT does track steps, automatic sleep tracking and swimming.  (true water proof).  It also has an 8 month battery. 

and it's stylish.

what would it take for me to not consider it?  sleep cycle alarms (and health kit integration).

Thank you... clock is ticking.. tick , tick, tick....

Andrew_Kaiser
First Steps

I agree with both points. I can use my Note 4's stylus to more closely select a time, but my iPod and any other kind of device sans stylii will have a real problem.

@JJBowie wrote:

can the Charge HR calculate when is the best time to wake you, rather than at a set time? i understand the Jawbone UP24 does this. also please redesign the compressed looking sleep activity chart - seriously how are you meant to read it!?

Feistybelle
Jogger
I wear my up at night solely for this. It would be epic to add this and texts.
laurafaceee3
First Steps

I am a constant over-sleeper, and I wish there were an alarm that would wake me up after an adequate amount of sleep. I could customize how many hours of rest I desire and the fitbit would keep track of when I fall asleep and begin to count down to my desired amount of asleep time. If it were possible, to help keep track of sleep cycles and wake you up within your lightest stage of sleep.

The app I use on my iPhone that is similar is called Sleep Cycle, and I would really love to not have to use more than one device for all of these things. I also think that the sensor in the bracelet is more acurate to sensing my movement than the app on my phone. 

Patris_1
Walker

This is indeed a much needed feature. Seeing how smaller companies such as Xiaomi have developped this technology it's disappointing to see how FitBit is still struggling.

Ankit
First Steps

That would be a great feature Laura. I agree, the sleep part of the app need some work.

SadaO
Premium User
First Steps

Totally needed! 😄

Davehoffman
Recovery Runner

Love the idea of setting a wake up range and have the sleep tracking figure out the smartest time to wake me up

nikki_i
Recovery Runner

jawbone up24 can wake you up in a preset timeinterval before an alarm time, and will do so if you are in light sleep during that interval.

Mariano
Jogger

I think this feature could be the real Jawbone killer!

Sarah_J
Recovery Runner
Definitely adding the optimum wake up time depending on your sleep cycle would be very useful. I too have continued to use sleep cycle app for this purpose. Also, Fitbit could learn a few things about collating sleep data from the sleep cycle app. It helps to be able to track asleep over time, and compare facts of the week, relation to exercise, medication etc.
StewC
Jogger
There is a iOS smart alarm app for iPhone that does this, so it is possible. Can Fitbit be bovered to add it. They claim to sell a product that registers heart rate, and that doesn't work..... So what's the chance of them adding something else?
Mprice3428
Recovery Runner
I've seen it in a different fitbit tracker that I had so I know it's possible. Not sure if it would require updating the fitbit software or just the app itself
estefaniamm
Jogger
I completely agree. There are many apps already considering the sleep cycle to determine an alarm with the phone. The only thing available just now about sleep is the "sleep debt" page, something that simply does maths... It should be fairly easy to do. Please fitbit! 🙂
Connolly
Jogger

Great Idea, Laura! I'd love that.

cris-mc
Stepping Up
It would be great if I didn't have to remember to log my sleep times and it did it automatically.
Awesome idea!!
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.