Solar charge Fitbit

Solar charged watches have been around for a while now (I use to have a citizens watch) and I think solar charged Fitbit would be a great new product due to the fact while your charging it (wall charged) you miss out of a lot of steps (1-2 hours steps add up quickly)

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

32 Comments
Sarah_J
Recovery Runner

I have been charging mine in car while commuting. It saves adding on flights and steps that haven't happened, and it never goes flat.

PamelaHazelton
Tempo Runner

I charge mine in 15-30 minute blocks when sitting at a desk, showering, etc.

SuzieWoodOK
Jogger

I, too, think Fitbit would benefit from offering a solar charged battery. Please make this an option, Fitbit! 

FrankK
Recovery Runner

I agree, a solar Fitbit would be a great feature for extending battery life.  I tend to leave the heartrate monitor on all the time (I've had some minor heart issues in the past so it's useful info), but that means I have to recharge every 3-4 days.  Even if the solar feature wasn't enough to eliminate the need to manually charge the device, it would certainly extend the time between charges.

The Casio atomic watches with "Tough Solar Power" are a good example of how to pull off solar -- they have the solar cell mounted in the frame around the watch face.

bltkmt
Premium User
First Steps

+1 on needing a solar powered version of the Charge HR.

dahveedjo
Jogger

The ECO watch recharges itself via solar.  Would it be possible to have the surge recharge itself using similar technology? 

I doubt it would be enough to bring it up to full charge, but just enough to extend the battery life until the time you plug it in.

klaborde
Strider

The Battery Life on all of the Fitbit Watch Band Models are no where near what is communicated.  How about adding small solar panels in the watch face so ambient light will attempt to put some charge on the batteries for longer life.  I have an old Watch, of a brand I can't think of.  I have not changed the battery in over 10 years, and the Solar Face continues to keep the battery charged.  I have sold all of my Charge, Surge Fitbit Models and went back to the Fitbit One, which I am glad still works the same as my previous model, and I get almost 2 weeks without charging.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That would be so cool to add to Fitbit trackers @Cavscout87. Thank you for sharing your idea, hopefully other users find this useful and like the idea so they can continue supporting it.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

Podster42
Jogger
I have two watches that recharge via solar cells in the watch face.
Could this technology be added to future devices?
Migjt not be enough to fully charge the more energy hungry (compared to a watch) fitbit devices but could extend time between charge ups especialy for outdoor exercisers.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Now that I wear a fitbit I have stopped wearing a watch. Last weekend while travelling my fitbit needed to be charged so I was without a watch. I wonder if it's possible to have the watch feature solar powered.

Knittingtsuki
First Steps
I love my Fitbit but I'm always forgetting to charge it. I used to forget to wind my watch so hubby bought me a solar watch and it's fab. If I'm wearing my Fitbit all the time it should easily get enough sun and would make it truly always on.
FightGoddess
First Steps
The battery on this fitbit sucks! Why not use solar powered watch batteries like the one on my G-Shock? I've had this watch for five years and only had to recharge in the sun for a full day - one time in five years. Please fix this. Thank you.
Laura_ozuna
First Steps
I second this motion! I am terrible about charging mine. With soon to be 3 kids 3 years and younger I am always on the go and this would help immensely!!

I posted on their Facebook page and they sent me here to vote but I guess commenting counts?! Anyways Fitbit help us stay charged up and on the move!!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
The Fitbit team needs to miniaturize the Faraday charger prevalent in shake flashlights to keep the user from having to remove the band. The Fitbit is an all day fitness tracker and a sleep monitor. So, it is a pain point to find a time to remove the device to charge it. The addition of a solar solenoid would also go a long way in addressing this pain point. If mechanical watches can self-wind, I see no reason why a device designed to make you more active can't also.
Likedabeast
Recovery Runner
The idea is to extend the life of the battery without actually extending the life. If you were to put some solar panels around the edge of the surge or blaze and have it be that the solar helps extend the life of the fitbit. It wouldn't completely charge the fitbit but it would help extend the life. You could also suggest to people to turn off the fitbit in the sun for it to actually charge the fitbit. This way you can extend the life of the fitbit without actually messing with the battery.
jbpis
First Steps

I wholeheartedly agree that solar charging our Fitbits would be a real great feature. Afterall, many watches are the market today that have solar charging. We wear our Fitbits ourdoors a lot of the time and would never need to take them out of the band (Blaze) to plug them in to a USB port even if it's in the car. The cost shold be neglible. Go for it!

I disagree with Likedabeast in that my Citizen watch has a practically invisible solar cell that runs the watch permanently. THere is no reason that the Fitbit would need to be turned off while charging.

DMG-Alta
Jogger

+1 on Solar or Kinetic charging.  Considering where, how, and why people wear Fitbits, this seems like a natural thing to have.

jbpis
First Steps
I disagree. Many watches today are powered by tiny solar cells. I do agree
with the previous post that our Fitbits are meant to measure activity 24
hours a day. But every 3 days or so, I need to put mine on the charger
leaving gaps up to 8 hours in recording my activity and sleep.

John Powell
arios92
First Steps

Not sure whether it works. Casio G-Shock is able to charge its battery using fluorescent lamp. Can Fitbit do the same thing? 

bermudahassell
First Steps

Think you should either make a syncable charging dock, or a solar battery. 

Think this will also help out the seniors who are a tab forgetful when it comes to charging. 

I don't like having to remove my watch to charge as I lose out on steps, or if I do it while sleeping I can't track how I slept. 

Thanks 

BatteryPower
First Steps

I am sure that the effort out of having to recharge a fitbit every 4 or 5 days could be made so much easier by having small solar cells on the watch face or strap......

that way your fitbit would stay charged for quite a bit longer

Come on fitbit this isn't new or expensive technology......

N2MUB
First Steps

In your next Fitbit Tracker, please include a solar charger to keep up the battery life. One more reason to go out for a walk.  A motion charger would also be a great feature as well. 

mrslkw
Recovery Runner

Yes, please! Solar charging would be amazing!

Kaityfresh
Jogger

Yes! My Citizen Ecodrive has been working on any ambient light for 14 years without ever needing to replace a battery. I would love to sport a new Fitbit Solar. Please make that happen. 

Muzztang98
Recovery Runner

In full agreement here. Solar rechargeable fitbit would fit perfectly with the ideal of having a true outdoor fitness product which it seems that the brand is trying to create.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.