Sort recent food list by time logged

Previously, the recent foods list sorted foods according to log order. That changed in a recent update and now the foods appear to be in random order. This is unusable. Please revert to the original sorting order.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

15 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @breschine, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about sorting the recent food list by the time logged on the Fitbit app with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

BrianCO1
Recovery Runner

I agree, sorting of some sort would be most helpful and I would like to expound on this idea.  In the "My Foods" / "Private Foods" table, having the ability to sort by Name, Cals, Last Logged, all of them really, would be valuable.  I name my foods starting with an ascending date code in the name field, for example - "062822 - chicken" the next day "062922 - fish".  I do this in hopes food could appear in date order, June 28, 2022, June 29, 2022, however, they are added to the list randomly, not even automatically sorted by "Cal" or "Last Logged", I can discern no patter thus making this table of little value.

embiggenator
Recovery Runner

Currently the top of my recent foods list is dominated by foods I've entered 1-2 times more than a month ago...At the moment I can't discern any pattern for how the list is populated.

BrianCO1
Recovery Runner

I've found the food log to be too difficult to use populating each of my custom food item, so I only log one entry per day with the total calories for the day.  I make note of what I eat during the day in a notebook, also helps reduce screen time.  My wife just figured out (after two years) naming entries with a date format starting with "2022-07-11_major foods items of the day" the next day “2022-07-12...” entries will be listed numerically.  I don't bother recording macro nutrients, unless you export to a csv file there is no way to analyze them within a Fit bit app.  One entry per day makes the "cals in cals out" graph easily populated and of solid value.  These graphs are based on a full day’s intake so why mess with all the little one-offs.

CD9999
First Steps

I find it laughable that the moderator is saying that they will consider this idea if it gets enough votes.  There have been requests for sorting of the food items in the list for at least 8 years (google it).  Knowing how simple this is to implement, it is curious that nothing has been done.  At any rate, I added my "vote", but I doubt anything will change.  Any one who has used the app to log food more than once would immediately recognize the need to enable sorting of the entries and ability to remove little-used ones (e.g.  I entered an item once 4 months ago and nothing since, and it still appears on my "frequent" list.)

I would have thought the developers would have discovered this in their testing years ago.  

Tarnie
Jogger

The Developers and the moderator should know that this issue is a basic feature in any interface displaying data. The absurd random sort really makes interaction with the app unnecessarily difficult and is not a feature that's technically difficult to implement. 

It clearly shows that this section of the app has been neglect and abandoned. 

Hurricane_kim
Jogger

Yes please I have food listed at the top that I haven't eaten in a year and the food that I eat everyday is scattered throughout this long list.  Please bring back most recently logged foods, appear at the top!

embiggenator
Recovery Runner

I've noticed that if you enter a food and then delete it from your log for the day, that food will now permanently hold a top position in your Recent foods. I have multiple Recent foods that are at the top of my list that I've never actually eaten, I just temporarily entered them into my log for the day to see how they affected my macronutrient breakdown. I'm so freaking sick of dealing with these stupid bugs that seem trivial to fix, yet are either never addressed or take half a year or longer to fix. I've stopped paying for Premium and as soon as my Charge 5 dies I'm getting a Garmin watch. It really feels like Google is trying to (or at least not trying to stop) kill Fitbit.

Laulec108
Recovery Runner

Yes, please!

The list of Recent food is sssooo long, having it sorted in whatever order it is now (I can't even tell what the logic is) makes finding recent food impossible.

Can you add an option to sort by "Most recent"?

Dbabs6
First Steps

^^ yes please. Fitbit needs to add a sorting system to the food tracking. If this isn't fixed then I'll have to switch to another product to save myself time and I won't be purchasing my gf one of these if this isn't improved.

BrianCO1
Recovery Runner

I recently purchased a new band for my fitbit 4 so I'm holding off until the battery completely stops holding a charge, it's getting weak, before I get something else.  I think Google is killing off fitbit, it's really a legacy platform that isn't keeping up with the times.  Same old sht just a new number in the name to keep it in the news...omg...sounds like the arrogance of an Apple product.  It is a fruit after all, eat it before it gets moldy.  Maybe I'll get a Garmin.

Aliceunder
Jogger

Yes I beg of you, please do this! I can't fathom why I have to scroll past items I've logged once in the past 3 years to find foods I actually eat frequently & far more recently. 

There must be some algorithm that causes this to be the case but it is so useless as to seem almost intentionally difficult to use. 

If you refuse to help us out here, could you please at least make the frequent list longer?? 

Hoping you actually care!

Shadrock55
First Steps
The recent food for food entry changed to no longer being chronological, and it is a lot worse. If I eat leftovers, they are almost never in my recents, and I simply cannot scroll back two days ago if I eat the same thing. There are things I haven't eaten in a year in Recent which makes no sense. We do not need an algorithm. It is worse.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Shadrock55, thanks for sharing this product feedback about sorting recent food entries chronologically with us. This idea was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

greggewart
First Steps

I find it odd that after two years of people asking that the "recent" list of foods entered not be in random order, it hasn't been addressed.  I don't think sorting by date is the most complicated programming task.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.